Tretton: Vita data caps to “probably” be based on the 3G partner and the plan

Friday, 7th October 2011 15:53 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

SCEA’s Jack Tretton has said 3G Vita data caps on downloads will probably be “based on the partner and the amount of data that they’re going to allow to be fed based on the plan.”

Speaking with the Arizona Star, Tretton’s answer was in response to the hoopla surrounding the announcement in Japan that data would be capped to 20Mb.

A Sony rep later clarified Tretton’s answer, by stating that an announcement has yet to be made regarding whether or not there will be a cap om the 3G version of Vita.

More regarding the handhled is to be announced closer to its western launch in Q1 2012.

Thanks, Spong.

1. Cygnar

Though I am excited about the Vita, the 3G option is a difficult call. I do not expect to be able to download Uncharted over 3G on the day the game comes out. All the same, I do expect that 3G service and data caps will improve across the board over the next several years. Parting with an extra $50 US upon the system’s release might net me some great 3G service sometime in the future, but there is no guarantee.

Even today, 3G is not the fastest wireless internet available, and so the real question for me is going to be whether the 3G capabilities enable anything valuable aside from game downloads, and whether data caps will interfere with those. Skype, e-mail, SMS messaging, and multiplayer services could all use 3G connectivity and make the device much more useful. In this regard, I think there is some benefit to the earlier launch of the Vita in Japan: we can see whether 3G really adds worthwhile benefits to the system before deciding between wifi and 3G models ourselves. Different 3G carriers will probably support different uses of the service in different regions, but at least we can hopefully get a broad idea of whether 3G is a waste of time before spending any money on it.

2. El_MUERkO

Cancelled my preorder, the Vita is becoming too confusing.

3. Christopher Jack

I’ll skip on 3G, not just for Vita but altogether, it’s too expensive & although I’m on a plan that includes 150MB of data, the risks of going over the limit are so great & the consequences are so severe(excess charges are 15cents per MB/$150 per GB), that I’ve had my phone provider block me from using 3G as I’ve gone over the limit in the past while it was disabled on my side. Couldn’t work out why so they waived the excess fee & suggested that I block it so now I only use wifi on my phone.

If we were to get infinite or high data wireless plans, I’d adopt it in a heartbeat, ’til then, I’m stuck with internet solely at home.

4. Erthazus

I agree, i will skip on 3G too, but i will absolutely buy PS Vita.

5. lexph3re

I’m going to get the 3G model just to have the option. Outside of that I will use wifi for everything. I have it at work,school, and home. So, the 3G will just be in the event the even’t that I see better plans in the future.

6. NightCrawler1970

@Christopher Jack, YOU REALLY NEED TO DOWNLOAD SOMETHING FROM INTERNET ON YA FUCKING CELL???? you can’t wait when ya home, and download from the computer flat-free unlimited data????

Thats the main reason that kiddies getting spoiled from mommy & daddy, “I want a Iphone 4″ “otherwise they calls me gay”…

Im glad that i have a simple fucking phone, at least blue-tooth for handfree calling…

7. Christopher Jack

@6, I don’t have flat-free unlimited data, I get 120GB per month which would be very difficult to use up but still possible. My point was, there’s too many hurdles for me to make wireless internet a viable choice, it’d be convenient for when I’m away from home & feel like checking something out on the net or downloading some songs or games for my Android phone, but it’s not necessary.