Splash Damage has multiplayer ‘in its heart’

Friday, 7th October 2011 03:46 GMT By Brenna Hillier

With Brink DLC still on ongoing concern, Splash Damage isn’t ready to talk about its next project – but it’s certain to be multiplayer.

“The one thing that we’re sure of is that multiplayer action is the thing that is in our hearts and stirs our souls,” CEO and co-founder Paul Wedgwood told the Telegraph as part of a studio profile.

“We believe that social interaction is the future of interactive entertainment. We know that playing against humans is more compelling than playing against AI. We’ll explore all of those different things and try everything.”

Beginning life as a group of modders for multiplayer shooters, S[plash Damage is understanably attached to the FPS genre – but that doesn’t necessarily rule out something different next time.

“Our next game always seems to be a multiplayer FPS. But every time we get to the end of a project we explore everything,” Wedgwood said.

“We would look at third-person stuff, more RPG-esque stuff, super realistic stuff, stylish.”

The full article, available through the link above, gives some insight into Splash Damage’s history, how it remains independent, and its studio culture.

1. JimFear-666

brink is a nice game as long you dont pay more than 30$ for.

2. viralshag

I paid about £35 at launch I think. I spent a lot of hours playing the game and I have always enjoyed it. But I think the above is a fair comment.

It would have been great if it shipped with a little more stability. Nowadays you can really get into some great matches.

3. LOLshock94

reason why i hated brink was not cause of the game itself but it took them atleast 1 month to sort the servers and by the time the servers were fixed i would be in games were i was againest the AI and not against real players

4. IL DUCE

Yeah BRINK was good, but multiplayer was unplayable for the first month…co-op campaign wasn’t as bad but a lot of lag issues…I dug the whole concept of it and the story was incredibly weak when fleshed out a little but the general back story was cool but it wasn’t meant to be a strong point so I don’t really hold that against them…I would’ve preferred less stylized, more realistic and the guns just felt too off to me…I enjoyed it though, and the character customization and weapon customization were definitely their strong suits…

5. DSB

I wouldn’t call Brink good. I wanted to like it so bad, but ultimately it was mediocre in pretty much every respect. Nothing ever really clicked about it, except for the brilliant concept.

I went into it after playing Quake Wars, which was amazing, and I genuinely thought that Splash Damage were going to take that formula and just turn it all the way up. If they had been able to pull it off, I think they would’ve been the most interesting shooter studio around, but sadly Brink was a big step back from Quake Wars.

Before I had every confidence in those guys, but now I kinda feel like they have to prove themselves all over again.

6. Hunam

My feelings exactly.

7. freedoms_stain

I was gutted at what Brink ended up being.

I think bad map design sums it up. Too cramped, no freedom, predictable matches.

The basic design of their classes was good imo, but the playing environment was bad.

8. HauntaVirus

Brink was a great concept, the actual game was not fully realized.