DICE: Mirror’s Edge 2 can “reach a broader audience”

Friday, 7th October 2011 15:50 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Please do it, DICE. Just. Do. It.

DICE producer Patrick Liu has lit the fire again on Mirror’s Edge 2, saying that any potential sequel could “reach a broader audience,” and that there’s definitely “a market” for it.

“I think it’s something that people are ready to get into again,” Liu told SPOnG at a recent Battlefield 3 event in London.

“We see that there’s a huge fan following, it’s almost like a cult! And we know what strengths we had, and what weaknesses we had in that game. If we were to release a new game, we’d know what to improve and how to reach a broader audience. So I definitely think there’s a market there.”

Mirror’s Edge 2 has been teased countless times, despite a report earlier this year which claimed that the initially-confirmed sequel was placed on hold.

Recently, new EA Games VP Patrick Soderlund said that it was working on something in the Mirror’s Edge IP, while EA Labels boss Frank Gibeau hinted at the sequel using Frostbite 2 at E3.

DICE creative head Lars Gustavsson told VG247 in Sweden last month that the hope to revisit the series “is definitely still there.”

Mirror’s Edge was a free-running game based on a Big Brother-like city, released in 2008 for PS3, 360 and PC

1. Edo

Don’t worry dude,it will be announced at VGA 2011,a perfect timing,after all the fuss about BF3 ends.

2. Sadismek

Can’t wait for this!

3. jnms

Mirror’s Edge 2 can “reach a broader audience”

Yeah – they will give Faith big guns, use stealth takedowns, and a cover system for shooting.

4. Erthazus

DICE are so awesome.

First Battlefield 3 and now this.

Owww… I luv them so much. Announce this at VGA 2011 and we are done :D

5. turin

Mirror’s Edge was a cool game, but my goodness it’s overrated by some of it’s fans. It wasn’t THAT good.

6. DSB

That goes for most of what DICE does, really.

Except maybe the early BFs and Rallisport Challenge. Those were certifiably awesome.

7. Fin

It was a great idea, but the concept was pretty broken in parts (eg all combat).

Still played it for 500 hours.

8. FredEffinChopin

Broader audience? Are they punning? I think they’re punning!

Anyway, this has become one of my most anticipated sequels of this console gen. Bring it on!

9. Lewis247

They way they have been talking about me 2, I’m thinking they are going to hold off till next gen. Just a thought though.

Either way they NEED to do a second. Thank fuck they realise they have a big fan base to the series. There is not a title I would like more to have a sequel than this for this generation. It will be literally so kick ass.

Look at it, I really don’t think they expected the big response that they did from the first. The game is close to perfect. So many hours I have put into it, such an enjoyable experience. There is sooo much more they could do as well, which is extremely exciting. Really REALLY want to hear more!

Do it dice!!!!

10. Hunam

Want so much. Loved the first, loved it too much maybe.

11. Gadzooks!

I loved Mirrors Edge.. right up until the first guns appeared. That killed it for me.

Lose the combat and I’m in.

12. NiceFellow

Drop shooting and levels suddenly requiring shooting

Deepen melee combat to match free-running

Write decent plot to underpin the action

Add more stealth and investigation of clues to add variety to gameplay

Lose the comic cut-scenes

Sorted.

Instead though they’ll probably tone down everything that was both good and original and pump up the shooting with cover based mechanics instead and limit the free running scope.

13. Hunam

I still want some gun play in the game, but I want it melded into the action, not separate from it.

14. K-V-C

i really loved it !!!! the only part i didnt like about it was the short campaign but everything else i really enjoyed the graphics,gameplay and action set pieces

15. DaMan

Broken unnecessary combat, indoor parts reminiscent of Mario in a wheelchair. No thanks.

16. DuckOfDestiny

I agree with you, but it has great potential.

Look at Assassins Creed, the first was a great idea but poorly executed, then the second came along and blew the first out of the water, improving everything the first game did right and fixing everything it did wrong.

If the second Mirrors Edge can do what Assassins Creed 2 did, then I imagine it will be an amazing experience.

[Edit] I see some people complaining about combat, was I the only one who avoided all confrontations in that game and just ran? In fact that’s a lie, I remember there being a level towards the end where you needed to take a gun from a guard in order to destroy some servers/computers/things.

17. LOLshock94

@5 agreed

18. IL DUCE

I didn’t think anyone liked Mirror’s Edge…guess I was wrong…

I wasn’t very impressed or ever really intrigued by the game though so here’s one guy who doesn’t care…

19. Edo

#5 Stupid fans that love fresh ideas,I spit on them!

20. Gekidami

^ Sorry but i agree with turin, it was overall a very average game with several points dragging it even lower than that. It had some neat ideas but it really is being way overrated right now.

People need to look at a possible sequel as the chance to ‘get it right’, rather then be ‘more of an awesome game’, because the first one really doesnt fall into the category. In till the sequel is out and its actually an improvement, people need to stop going on like a new Half Life just got announced, this franchise still has everything to prove.

21. Edo

#20 You don’t have to be sorry dude,the game is not everyone’s cup of tea,people seem to rather hate it or love it,simple as that.As I said I’m a sucker for new ideas,things that haven’t been done thousands of times before(like shooters on rails or such).Anyway,looking forward to the sequel and what it can bring to the table(hopefully longer campaign).