Sony’s Long Live Play TV campaign features gamer pictures

Wednesday, 5th October 2011 14:38 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sony has announced the reason why it asked PS3 users to send in pictures of themselves holding their PS3 controller along with a 30 words-or-less description as to why they are the ultimate PlayStation gamer. Turns out, those chosen will be featured in new PlayStation ads as part of Sony’s Long Live Play campaign. A dozen or so “die-hard gamers” were chosen to represent the PlayStation Nation and shots of these folks will air in the commercials starting today. One of these is posted below, which is a tribute to a gamer named Michael. You’ll also notice frames on the walls and ceiling in the room featuring a collection of photos of those who submitted their pictures. Who knows – maybe one of you are in there somewhere. Check out the video below.

1. spiderLAW

That was fucking cool!!!! Is there some place i can Download the HD Version?

2. strikkebil

that was pretty cool.

3. Christopher Jack

To Michael!

4. Yoshi

Haha I loled at that ending :P Pretty cool however if I was directing that I would have at least got the proper people like David Hayter to do Snake and Nolan North.

5. spiderLAW

@Yoshi
    They did get them, in a sense. They dubbed the voices. Nathan was Nolan’s voice with a different stand in actor, Snake was Hayter’s voice with a different stand in actor, and Cole was his original voice with a different stand in actor. I not sure if Athena was OG or not.

6. Christopher Jack

Seriously though, amazing ad, some characters were pretty great, others could have been better.

7. Razor

Awful.

The problem with these ads is that they’re for the fans, not potential buyers.

8. jmg24bad

that was fackin cool.

9. CycloneFox

@7: It’s more like a tribute than an ad. Well, indirectly it is an ad, of course.

This is pretty fucking awesome.

10. ultramega

All Razor does is troll Sony articles. You’ll learn to ignore him pretty quickly.

11. TerraZet

Terrible advert, pretentious. Terrible CGI and who the hell is Michael!? Leave it to Microsoft to 1-up Failony.

12. KAP

Totally Superb advert.
    But im a little disapointed because I was expecting a new service of some kind.. I mean everyone was saying Home before.. and yet all it was is an ad to something I already own…. Still though.. great fuckin’ advert.

Watch Sony drop the ball AGAIN and not release this is the UK. All we get is the shitty errmmm.. err.. cant even remember how shit it is now.

Job done Sony, Job well done.

13. Patrick Garratt

Genius.

14. xino

you’re right, Sony are bad at marketing and promoting their games

the costumes+effects were dead cool, but this is aimed at fans nothing more

15. Gekidami

Whose the guy with the scarred eye, that hold up the picture?

16. Yoshi

@spiderLAW, Yeh I know, that’s what I mean though. They got the voices but why not the actors? Would have made everything 100x better in my honest opinion.

EDIT: XD LOL Watching it again I only just noticed the Mark 2 when the guys first enter :P

17. 2plus2equals5

I want to play chess with a sackboy! XD

18. KAP

Nolan North looks nothing like Nathan Drake in my eyes, Yes.. I know.

19. NightCrawler1970

We can live with that, something difference than Kevin Butler…
    Nice commercial

20. Sadismek

That was genius. “To Michael!”

21. NinjaMidget

Really clever, great ad. Wish they’d do stuff like that over here in the UK!

22. AbolfazlA

Awesome

23. mathare92

Let me add another one-word critique: Brilliant.

24. FredEffinChopin

Wow, anyone trying to find an angle to call this bad just has a hatred for Sony that must drive their morning wood. Complaining that it caters to the fans? Good point, saying thank you to the fans and making them smile is a terrible idea. And if that room full of characters doesn’t display the array of memorable titles for the system, I don’t know what does. Also, I showed this to people who aren’t gamers, and the general consensus ranges from “awesome” to “chills”.

In other words, if you’re sitting around trying to slam this masterpiece, I’d strongly suggest that you reevaluate where it is that your motivation stems from, because it certainly is not rooted in logic.