DICE defends Battlefield 3 beta from critics

Wednesday, 5th October 2011 01:32 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The beta build released as part of Battlefield 3′s open testing should not be taken as indicative of the finished game, DICE has said.

Writing on DICE’s Battlefield Blog, Karl Magnus Troedsson took the opportunity to defend the beta from recent criticism of its unpolished state.

“The Battlefield 3 Open Beta is based on software that is more than one month old,” he wrote.

“Just like normal procedure when releasing a game, the Open Beta has had long lead times due to testing, certification, and setting up. This means that the code you are now playing is actually quite early and not representative of the final game.”

Troedsson said DICE needs the beta to test its dedicated server structure – not the game code itself – and as such, could an older build of the game.

Despite the criticisms, the beta is proving hugely popular. According to post, the Battlefield 3 beta has drawn six times as many simultaneous players as Bad Company 2 managed during its own open testing phase in 2009. The popularity of Bad Company 2 no doubt contributed to pre-release interest in the game, but DICE must be pretty chuffed anyway.

Battlefield 3 releases later this month on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Thanks, Joystiq.

1. xino

lol…why would you want to release a BETA that is months old?

why were EA/Crytek disappointed when someone leaked the Crysis 2 old demo?

also how can you release an old BETA build to the public and expect to work on changes for the feedback given?

sounds like someone is pulling your leg.
    Face it guys, this is the up to date beta build, game is coming out 25 oct which is 2/3 weeks away. How can they work on new build with feedback given from old build? obviously the changes made to this recent build will be the update for retail version for day of release.

2. daytripper

what i am finding annoying is some of the people on 360/PS3 moaning on twitter/facebook/forums that the game doesnt look like some of single player footage when it was made clear its mostly PC footage.

3. Stardog

Loading a browser + Origin isn’t going to cut it. If they don’t have an in-game server browser and remove the Origin requirement then I won’t be buying.

I own BF1942/2/BC2;

4. Uncontested

yawn its awesome bugs and all so tired of the whiny babies.

5. LOLshock94

@2 people are complaining about that…what a bunch of retards
    the beta is almost as bad as rob schneider….almost

6. G1GAHURTZ

@2:

Of course they’re complaining. The whole point of EA/DICE only releasing PC footage for so long was to try and let exactly these type of people think that they were going to be getting high end PC graphics on a console.

7. albo88

DICE your beta is an epic fail end of story
    now get back to work if u wont my 60$ if not then fuck off

8. DarkElfa

There are so many things wrong with this beta other than bugs it’s not funny. Bugs can be fixed, it’s the bad design choices from the GUI to the BS flashlights.

…and thanks to them not having Punk Buster on, it’s become a hack infested nightmare and allowing one month of early access with no PB has even encouraged people to use hacks while they can to get the furthest possible before it comes to an end.

It’s sick. I was going to buy this game site unseen and now I have no interest. It’s not even Battlefield, it’s Call of Duty.

9. Lounds

how about they get rid and ban hackers for one, there was one guy on the other team I was against and he had KD:50-3
    he was a medic who was rushing, anyone he saw he hit, oh and he knew where you was before him… sort it out DICE!

10. Gekidami

On the several forums i visit i havent seen anyone say such a thing. People are complaining about the graphics on consoles not because they were expecting it to look like the PC footage, but because DICE said the game looked stunning on consoles, so good they had to limit the number of players to 24. This obviously isnt the case, the beta looks just ‘over average’. Its EA & DICE spinning their usual BS.

And i agree with xino; How are we meant to test such an old build? Were those fixes DICE announced a few days ago really made through feedback or were they already in place in a more modern build? Why would you even release such a crappy build if its only to test your servers?

As usual with DICE & EA, this has the distinct odeur of bullshit about it.

11. Machinetti

And i was Right! They are gonna delay it! HA! i Say!

12. freedoms_stain

“Why old build, rabble rabble rabble derp!” People, read on to the point where he explains the beta it’s to test the back end, not the client and rabble and derp no more.

I hope 90% of you whiners don’t buy the game, if you can’t read an article you probably can’t cope with reading the game type instructions either and I hate cunts who don’t play the objective.

13. SwiftRanger

Console certification explains the one-month old build. It has also been made very clear on several occasions that this beta is about stress-testing only, even the PC version doesn’t have all the bells and whistles in it yet.

I gotta say that for an open beta and for a Battlefield-game I’ve never had such fast matchmaking before. Every prior BF-game fucked this up with their in-game “solutions”, I much prefer the out-of-game solution BF3 offers now on PC. It’s just a lot faster and easier and it doesn’t burden Dice to make in-game menus for the statistics. This was the biggest complaint of BF2, BF2142 and BC2 and it seems they finally fixed it.

Also, for a completely new engine, I can forgive the bugs in a build that’s two months old when the game releases.

14. Fin

To be honest, it doesn’t really matter the build is a month old. This close to release, people are going to decide whether or not they buy your game – despite DICE calling it a beta, it’s the first time I’ve seen a “proper” beta on consoles, and the vast majority of players won’t think “Oh, it’s ok, this is beta”, they’ll think “Wtf, this is a buggy POS, much worse than any other beta I’ve played”.

Testing servers is all well and good, but you can’t forget that your average player, who’s only going to pick up MW3 or BF3 before Christmas, is playing it too. From that perspective (good PR translating to good sales), it’s been a failure.

15. manamana

I have to agree with Fin. Thing is, they can call it what they want – the majority wont listen. Most people dont see the good but the bad in it. I stick to my pre-order because I know DICE delivers. And I am somewhat relieved when CoD kiddies are canceling their pre-orders or not buying that game at all. ;-)

16. SwiftRanger

I’ve seen complaints here and there but most gamers and BF vets I know are all gonna get this game because of the beta. The internet focuses on the bad stuff but there’s a lot of good stuff to discover here, the game and even the map itself grow on you.

17. StolenGlory

I think that if console owners get visuals even remotely approaching those seen in the trailer below, then they should be happy:

18. Dimaco

@15 good point there! We all know most of them will go back playing that other softair game that’s 3 years old, only filled with gimmicks to take this year’s 70 euros…

19. viralshag

I have past the point of no return in terms of how much time I have spent playing the beta, so I can’t say I don’t like it. I love it in fact.

I’m not sure why people are complaining as much as they are, I really don’t think it’s THAT bad. Maybe I’m just lucky but I have had only a few games where I have gotten fed up.

20. Dimaco

Plus, we’ve seen console footage already (both PS3 and 360) and there has been full coverage from major sites saying it looks stunning (of course it won’t match PC version, where are we, kindergarten??)… So what’s the fuss all about??

21. OrbitMonkey

@15/18 Yeah, god forbid Battlefield becomes as popular *shudder*

22. silkvg247

Anyone who works in IT knows this is genuine. Released builds are usually at least a month older than development builds, builds aren’t done willy nilly, and in games development I’d expend a huge barrage of fixes and tweaks to be put into each build especially whilst in beta.

23. John117

Why do I get the feeling that people are just stressing on the bad stuff when there are so much cool stuff to withhold :S You can make your own cover by blowing up the ground, the enemy can be blinded by flashlights and the animations that actually work are top notch. Tbh, every time I see someone writing about how bad the beta is I just assume they were gonna but CoD:MW3 anyways but wanted to take a cheap shot at an unfinished game..

24. mojo

23: because a beta is not for praising the cool stuff. if u want that go get some bought reviews. betas are for pointing out whats crap. at least thats what they originaly have been for.
    Nowadays they are just another part of promotion.

25. aseddon130

i thought the beta was cool, im looking forward to playing the full version of BF3.

26. GrimRita

The problem is simple. They should have used the Caspain Border map end of! Metro simply isnt what BF is about and is too close to BC2. If you are looking to win over new fans, then this was an epic fail from DICE.

If Caspain Border had been the map, the internet would have been full of “OMG did you see how fucking great that was?!” And honestly, yes its beta but DICE maybe should have released a ‘what is wrong guide’ to soften the blow.

Instead they have done more damage to the brand then good. Which is a shame.

27. DSB

Actually I’m impressed by how much DICE have learnt from Infinity Ward going into BF3. If the rest of the game follows that trend, I’m inclined to believe that CoD will be falling behind before long.

It may still have the same artstyle (or lack of same) that BC2 had, but it’s a way more vibrant and visceral game to play. It’s as if they’ve actually tried to make the game fun this time around.

There are a few details with the weapons not feeling very interesting, and I’m sure the levelling system is still a bitch, and while the browser integration is interesting, I don’t think it works as well as they’d like it to.

Of course it’s just one map, and the vehicles may be just as boring as they were in the last game, but so far so good in my opinion.

It actually makes me sad that I can’t buy it off a proper retailer.

28. IL DUCE

I played the beta for two days straight before all these whiny babies got on it when it went open on the 29th…there is nothing wrong with the beta itself, yes there are bugs etc. But what don’t you get about the word beta? Its not a fucking demo…so everyone needs to get real and understand betas have flaws which is why they exist…to correct those flaws…its not a fucking demo for you to jerk off to for a few weeks before the game comes out, its to make sure there launch is as smooth as possible and that any problems are fixed before it goes gold or with a day one patch…

And it is an older build…probably since August in which case there was plenty of time to fix the older build since then, especially since DICE had said the beta had been ready it was just waiting on certification from MS and Sony for the console versions…

Quit crying and don’t play the beta or don’t buy the game if u don’t like it…no one is forcing you to do so

29. Fin

I fucking guarantee if Infinity Ward released a MW3 beta as buggy as BF3 is, they would be derided and lambasted.

DICE though? Oh the build’s a month old! Don’t worry about it’ll be fixed! The game is still good! It’s only a beta!
    Fuck off, hypocrites.

30. DarkElfa

Did we make your pussy hurt IL DUCE? Suck it up white knight, most aren’t complaining about the bugs, they’re complaining about the actual game. Dice ain’t gonna fix what’s really broke about this game by launch or most likely ever.

You’re going to have to deal with the fact that people just don’t like the new game your gonna play.

31. DSB

@29 You know they won’t though.

BF can do no wrong, and CoD can do no right, that’s just how popularity works.

What I’m interested in is whether people will whine just as hard if/once BF becomes the big dog. I definitely think it’ll gain a few more critics.

32. Gekidami

Indeed. If i recall correctly there were only ever two CoD betas, and they both ran better than this. In fact nearly all betas on consoles do. Yes, even ones released months before the final build.

Seems shoddy betas are exclusive to EA, if i recall they also pulled the same stunt with Crysis 2, saying it was an old build. And when the game came out?; Barely any difference. Same with BC2.

33. SwiftRanger

Well, if you’re still running an engine based on Quake 3 after all those years then the technical issues will probably never be as prominent as in betas for games which do invest in proper new tech. CoD didn’t have betas on all platforms simultaneously either I think.

34. manamana