UK charts: FIFA 12 becomes third biggest UK launch ever

Monday, 3rd October 2011 09:42 GMT By Johnny Cullen

FIFA 12 has, unshockingly, taken the top spot of the UK charts away from Gears of War 3.

Its release is now the third biggest launch in the UK ever, behind Black Ops and Modern Warfare 2 and ahead of Grand Theft Auto IV.

12′s unit sales are up 18 percent on FIFA 11′s release last year, with revenue up by 34 percent.

On a platform breakdown, 360 wins the cake with 54 percent of the share, with PS3 following home with 44 percent. Other formats the game released on a two percent share.

It came out on PS3, 360, PSP, 3DS, Wii, PC and PS2.

FIFA and Gears are first and second, while F1 2011 takes number three in the list. Zumba Fitness and Dead Island finish the top five.

The Team ICO Collection, which consisted of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus, enters at number seven.

1. FIFA 12
  2. Gears of War 3
  3. F1 2011
  4. Zumba Fitness
  5. Dead Island
  6. Deus Ex: Human Revolution
  7. ICO & Shadow of the Colossus Classics HD
  8. Driver San Francisco
  9. LEGO: Pirates of the Caribbean
  10. Call of Duty: Black Ops

1. Thegaiden

Why people rush out and buy these games in the masses always astonishes me…
    It’s hard to see this as a ‘new game’ rather than a patch for lasts years game…
    Why do people pay £40 for another playthrough of a game almost identical to what they had? Think about it would you pay £40 for another playthrough on Mass Effect 2 when new DLC came out? I thought not.

There. Daily rant out of the way nice and early today :D

2. viralshag

To be fair I’m a year in, year out purchaser of FIFA and this year plays much better than last years. To me this has been a more noticable improvement than what 10 to 11 was.

AI is vastly superior, games flow much better, shooting is more exciting, passing is a bit sharper and the neat little touches and passes by players make it all feel more natural.

The downsides are my Ultimate Team is shit and I keep getting disconnected from games due to a loss of connection to the servers. Which result in a loss and that is pissing me off. They really need to get that sorted, I don’t normally play online and this is partly why.

Overall though, best football game I’ve played I think. Feels much better than my experience with it in the demo.

3. aseddon130

i bought it because i got it for £15 thanks to some vouchers i had, and im normally the first to slam Fifa down for not changing enough but it seems to have been improved with it’s defending, graphics and overall playability. I’m having to change the way i play in order to score goals, which is a nice change.

4. Dralen

I don’t know why I keep buying FIFA games tbh. I gave in again, but it just frustrates me even more than the last one. They just seriously anger the hell out of me, maybe it’s because I suck at this one especially. I’m certain I will end up throwing my controller at my tv one day if I continue to play FIFA games. I’ll probably trade it in next week for Dark Souls.

Don’t get me wrong it’s a great improvement over the last game, but there’s just something about football games that brings the worst out of my competitive side. I’m just gonna stick to watching football from now on.

5. aseddon130

im exactly the same Dralen, i did have a little glint of hope since i beat my mate online who i haven’t beaten on a fifa game for years. That was a great moment :)

6. Razor

ICO @ 7? :(

UK am cry.

7. Stardog

FIFA 12 is an awful game if you’re playing offline.

If you only play online then it’s fine, but the offline game is a broken mess with the awful AI. The last few years they’ve pulled away from PES, but some of the changes here are closer to what PES does (strikers not running into the box, AI catch-up and sluggish controls, etc).

Steer clear.