Stop making me learn: I don’t have the time or the will

Saturday, 1st October 2011 13:54 GMT By Mike

Mike Bowden has fallen out of love with games: he’s bored of learning maps and button routines, and he has a life. Is core gaming refusing to evolve? Has the time-pressed family man been alienated for good?

My youth was mainly filled with button combinations, tricky pad movements, infinite lives, and game maps being imprinted on my mind to the extent where I could almost draw them myself. Fast forward twenty or thirty years and we’re pretty much still there, and it’s moribund. Granted, it’s all wrapped up in pretty colours and some incredible DOF, but it’s the same-old, same-old.

I don’t like games. I want to, but I can’t. I think they’re pretty mundane and essentially repetitive, and thus boring. A traditional video game, as I see it, forces the player into thinking how it wants to think, behaving how it wants you to behave, reacting how it wants to you react. The better you get at it, the more it throws obstacles in your path – ones that don’t change the algorithm entirely, but gives the gamer a perceived change of direction and perhaps pace. However, all you’re being given yet another pattern to learn by what can only be described (by me) as tedious trial and error.

Of course, the patterns and pixels can be beautifully woven and aesthetically adroit; but for me, doing the classic video game strategy of repeating the same thing over and over in order to slightly improve on your last run is boring. It’s now a system I’ve so fallen out of love with I simply refuse to play. Puzzle games, driving games, strategy, fighters, shooters: all fun for five minutes until the game demands that in order to progress you must “learn it.” Thanks, but I’m 36 next month; family, work, responsibility – I simply don’t have the time.

The Wonder Years

Now, when I were a lad – all fields, etc – this was all good in my local hood. Everyone wanted the latest Japanese finger twister and the highscore war amongst schoolmates made getting up in the morning less of a chore.

In fact, back then, nothing gave you freedom of choice except for Braben’s bombastic Elite: a game that shone so brightly in 1984 on the BBC it’s almost impossible to describe. Finally a game asked, “Where do you want go, and how do you want to get there?” Why this hasn’t been touched up and whacked on XBLA/PSN is beyond me. As Jean-Luc would say, “Make it so.”

Multiplayer

In today’s market, online gaming is the new focus. I can’t stand it. Why? Yet again, if you want to really compete you have to – you guessed it – learn the maps. I can’t think of anything more mundane than trying to get my brain to learn spawn-points, secret passages, nooks, crannies and weapon locations. In fact, just writing it pisses me off. Why does anyone find this entertaining? Why does “being the best” equate to the amount of time you plug into something? I know that sounds like the most naïve sentence in history, but surely multiplayer games are skewed from the outset? I’m never going to be able to go back to my heady teenage days of playing Championship Manager for 68 hours straight (polishes loser badge) living only on some funny smelling tobacco, tea and baked beans on toast. By that token, I’m never going to be able to compete with anyone who has remotely that kind of time available to them.

So why bother? Sure, I can garner a few hours’ worth of enjoyment from it, but soon I’ll hit the inevitable ceiling, get frustrated and turn it off.

The sooner single-player and multiplayer elements of games are sold separately, the better.

The Fabled future

In Cliff Blezinski’s recent interview with VG247, he said: “The graphics aren’t good enough yet, goddammit. And anybody who says they are is full of shit.”

Basically meaning that, as far as Epic is concerned, the next next-gen will, once again, be about wrapping up more things for you to learn in even prettier packages.

I don’t want to learn anymore; I want to experience.

I’m aware of The Witcher, the BioWare games and a few others in between, but there’s not enough variation, and sooner or later they turn into a ‘game’. I know I sound like Peter Molyneux peddling Fable, but I find the older I get the more I agree with him. I want to be transported into a world whereby my behavior, my actions and reactions define my experience. I want the game to respond to me. I want to be able to feel like I’m great at something not by being able to compare my score, but by my accruing in-game abilities. I don’t want to be dictated to. I don’t want boss-fights as chapter markers. I don’t want faster, and I don’t want my reflexes tested – I want to be tested. Me.

I dunno, maybe I just don’t like games any more. But I want to.

1. KAP

“Has the time-pressed family man been alienated for good?”

Not where the cod and wii sales are concerned.

2. Kabby

I get the sentiment in the article and on some points I agree but, games are games not life. As such all games have rules you must comply with and act within. This is the language of video games.

A real gamer knows the language of video games. You obviously know this language and are tired and jaded by it. There has definitely been stagnation in the language of gaming for many years now.

Very few developers are intelligent enough to expand up it. Often the fun of gaming is obfuscated by over complicating the language to the point where games become a chore to play.

3. DonnerKebab

An old friend in Ireland said of the media ‘Sure, there was never a page that didn’t cry out for ink’.

But I get what you’re saying overall. Games truly need to grow up with their audience, or at least credit us with a brain, and step out of their comfort zones in a big way.

That said, you could say the same about most modern films. Personally, on balance, I think you are missing out on some fantastic experiences, even if you have to root about for it. For me it’s just another switch off from real life – entertainment, it used to be called.

Skyrim, anyone?

4. Prof.Dr.Moertel

Good read. Even though I´m quite a lot younger than you are, I find myself in a similar situation. Quite recently for example, when Gears of War 3 came out: I enjoyed the singleplayer but I suck pretty badly in multiplayer because unlike most of the others, I don’t have the time and/or the will to learn every aspect of the game.(instead I waste hours with playing Minecraft…) And it seems like Epic wants the players to invest hundreds of hours into the game, concerning some of the achievements.

I also noticed in the last few months or so, that I actually hate hard games. The harder the game, the more time I need to incest to complete it and it’s also rather discouraging for me when I get stuck in the game, even when it’s just a matter of half an hour or so. I like that you can complete Fable 3 without dying once, without having to make any huge effort.

“The sooner single-player and multiplayer elements of games are sold separately, the better”
    Not sure about that though.

5. Cygnar

“[T]he classic video game strategy of repeating the same thing over and over in order to slightly improve on your last run is boring.”
    Play on easier difficulty modes so you don’t have to repeat anything.

“My youth was mainly filled with button combinations, tricky pad movements, infinite lives, . . .”
    What games in the mid-to-late eighties were you playing that had infinite lives, or more than two buttons?

“[I]f you want to really compete you have to . . . learn the maps.”
    This criticism only holds water against first-person shooters and racing games, which you already describe as too repetitive to hold your interest. Maybe you should find a different genre.

“Why does “being the best” equate to the amount of time you plug into something?”
    Tell that to Noah Solis. Besides, what competitive activity does not require practice?

“I don’t want to learn anymore; I want to experience.”
    Play Final Fantasy XIII, Braid, any modern Zelda game, Halo, Heavy Rain, Portal, Flower, or any arcade game such as House of the Dead. These games all have simple controls. None of them require you to memorize button combinations, learn maps, or repeat levels. They are all easy to complete when set to low difficulties. None of them require lengthy amounts of time to enjoy. Given what you have written, all should be enjoyable games for you to try.

“[B]ut I’m 36 next month; family, work, responsibility – I simply don’t have the time.”
    But you do have the time to write articles about why you don’t like games, identify and organize all your criticisms, find expert opinions on what the next console generation will bring, and publish it all to a blog. Indeed, you have played enough games lately: among them, “[p]uzzle games, driving games, strategy, fighters, [and] shooters”–and you have put in enough time with each of them–to recognize one pattern after another in modern games, more repetitious grinds vying for your attention, and more over-technical memorization metagames to waste your precious time.

You don’t like most games; granted. But there is no shortage of games that lack all the characteristics you loathe so much. So, I have a suggestion. Try using your leisure time to play some of these games instead of complaining about games you already know you don’t like.

Maybe you won’t like any of my suggestions, either. Maybe, if you wanted a solution to your problem, you should have written in your article what you do like about games, or perhaps why you ever would have played them in the first place.

6. Kabby

“The harder the game, the more time I need to incest to complete it”
    Oof. Funniest typo I’ve seen for a while. WP Prof.Dr.Moertel. :)

7. HauntaVirus

This is actually a very thought provoking article. Time and time again I’ve been disappointed by games I buy on release day. I’m becoming much more selective and cautious. If the game feels like a chore, I turn it off. Another thing that is pushing me away from gaming is bad PC ports. It’s to the point now where the game is hardly fun no matter what it is because it won’t run properly. I haven’t given up entirely, there are devs that still make games that are fun. I won’t stop gaming unless Blizzard stops making Diablo games. Then again, I’ll have Torchlight :)

8. IL DUCE

Who the f-ck is Mike? Lol

@4 if you really made an attempt at Gears of War 3 you would know that turning the look sensitivity up helps a ton, and that the ninja sawed off shotgun roll is the easiest way to dominate…basically favor any shotgun in multiplayer and you will be fine…

@5 Good response dude, completely agree…

9. Stephany Nunneley

@8 Mike is Mike Bowden who worked here since the site’s inception and stopped working here due to getting a job as an English teacher at the end of 2009. If you click his name linked in “story by” you will see everything he has ever written for the site.

10. DrDamn

As an article it’ll provoke some interesting debate, but what is described is not games, it’s rubbish games.

11. Prof.Dr.Moertel

@6 ow shit :D
    @8 thx, I’ll try that

12. yoggesothothe

Gameplay is the same as the Socratic method: you have to commit and put your very sense of identity at stake for it to be meaningful.

If you are already convinced that it’s a waste of time, it is a waste of time because you will wiggle your way out of any challenge that actually requires you to examine why you are doing what you are doing.

The point of gameplay is failure, because it is only failure that really changes us. If you dismiss the reality of that change, then you are missing the full point and value of games. The point should be less about the game itself and more about how you are playing that game.

It shouldn’t matter how much you fail; the point should not be to get through a game for the sake of getting through it. If you are wasting time fearing failure–wasting time fidgeting about not making progress–then you actually are failing: failing to make use of your time. Because that’s the real power of games. They allow us to fail, safely and meaningfully.

13. Telepathic.Geometry

I completely agree with 90 per cent of what you’ve written in this article, and yet somehow don’t agree with the final thrust of it all. I play games BECAUSE they make me constantly learn. To solve puzzles. To find those well hidden [insert desirable lootz here.] To uncover the game’s mysterious plot (in those rare cases where they have one).

But maybe it’s just down to being jaded. Which I’m not.

14. Hellrz

what a strange world it has become….

i started gaming in the age of 6 with “dune”, “nfs 1″ or “simon the sorcerer” and i stil do game.

and at any time i played .. singeplayer or multiplayer, i wanted to get even more better at it.

i couldnt get into games , that didnt required anything ( like “Hard Reset”, mindless full-auto
    shooting while the computer tells me where to go)

if i want to hang back and to relax , i am going to watch a movie or read a book

one example: if u play a game of chess, scrable or monopoly with your friends … does it suck,
    because you have to use your brain? i guess not! its fun to player with your friend, maybe beat them
    and feel the accomplishment

a game without the proper learning and thinking is not a game anymore.

there is already a brainless zombie horde in every game and every server, ruining my and others time,
    by simply being unwilling or mabye already unable to learn.

Public gaming or “Dungeon Finder Groups” are the worst experiences i had while gaming.

what to these so called casual expect from gaming? tell me where to flank the enemy, tell me where to shoot,
    tell me which spell to choose ?? do you really want that ?? or do you want to learn it by yourself and be proud of it.

also, singeplayer games have become far to easy… no wonder why they end so quickly.

learning never ends and u shouldnt neither

here is a good movie that gets my idea of gaming pretty good:

15. Edo

#5 Couldn ‘t agree more.It all comes to “to each his own” .People play games for different reason and there is more than enough games out there to choose from.

16. Giskard

Good news!

Skyrim will solve your problem!

Because seriously, Bethesda’s games are rarely challenging, but they are a treat.

17. majicship

I’m 20 years older than Mike and am still playing, even though I am sick to death of it all. It’s like a drug that is hard to get off. Even though I know that red barrels always explode and there will yet another stupid, repetitive boss to fight, I find myself playing through one bad game after another. I also hate achievements. And multiplayer. I hate clans. Annoying Xbox ‘friend’ notifications, and I hate that bloke in Grid who comes over the radio just as I am on my way to victory and I spin out on the final corner. I am currently playing through Bulletstorm (yawns), Batman (just another repetitive button masher), and Enslaved (still can’t see what the fuss was all about?). I’m only playing them to prove to myself that I can actually finish them because I hate quitting, but they are so boring. I never replay a game, nor do I do ‘side missions’. The only game I continue to play on a frequent basis is Civ Revolutions which I think is brilliant. I think I am suffering from over exposure to a genre that I have been with since I was a youngster tapping lines of code into a Spectrum just to marvel at a pixilated gnome walking across my screen. Ten years ago I took time off from gaming to learn tp play guitar, form a band, write and record an album, get on the radio, have the title track featured on the cover mount CD of Classic Rock magazine, and split up just as a recording contract was being put together. I went back to gaming. Mike will too. Sometime when he is ready. The only thing I found after taking a few years off was that nothing had changed and red barrels contine to explode.

18. Ireland Michael

Because nobody is just “born” good at chess.

There’s something to be said about natural talent, but you still have to play the game constantly to appreciate the rules and learn the best ways to play. This is true of any game, in the literal sense of the world.

Honestly, and I don’t mean this as any sort of offence, but you’re older now. You’re no longer a kid who had all the free time in the world to do whatever the hell you wanted. And like it or not, our brains start working slower as we get older. It becomes harder to cram in all this new information, and our coordination is slower.

I *did* finish Contra as a kid. Now I can barely get past the second level. As kids though, most of us generally owned far less games than we do now. We put more time into each game, so we ended up being better at it.

“I don’t want to learn anymore; I want to experience.”

Then stop playing games. Or go watch a movie.

Or maybe calling them video “games” isn’t a valid term anymore. The world game implies certain things – Noun: A form of play or sport, esp. a competitive one played according to rules and decided by skill, strength, or luck. If they’re going to only be about the experience, the word “game” no longer applies.

I think it’s stupid to expect video games to be experiences only, and that’s only your own jadedness talking. If it no longer appeals to you, just stop playing so many games.

We’re not exactly lacking in “experience” games right now though, so your core argument is kind of moot. Just don’t play the kind of games you’re criticising, and stick the games that put the experience at the fore of their design. Why is this a problem?

I’m 29. I’ve been gaming since I was 4. But I’ve never become tired of this hobby, and I doubt I ever will. I think we’re in the middle of something of a gaming renaissance right now, to be honest, and if you’re not willing to open your mind to the countless spectrum of games being created in this generation because of your own mental laziness, it’s completely your loss

19. SplatteredHouse

Your piece is prefaced with the “core” game distinction – and it just brings me to ask why you feel it so important to stay in that space. why you are determined to limit yourself to that field of content, even as you single its selection out as not catering for what you’re after, nor presently find entertaining?

Play something else. Find that game that was created that meets your requirements better and you can enjoy. Don’t doubt that it’s out there.

“I don’t want to learn anymore; I want to experience.
    I’m aware of The Witcher, the BioWare games and a few others in between”

:/ Your opinion is that these games are examples that present more experiences, than they do require learning? I disagree, there. These are all examples of modern RPGs, that by their nature differ greatly from each other, and adventures released in previous console cycles. That were more consolidated in design, and so necessitated less acclimatisation and adjustment to quirks of the design in each case.

Could what you’re looking for, lie in the past, or closer to the edges, even if your friend’s list doesn’t also?
    Good posts, #2 and #10. As an opinion piece, I didn’t mind this article, but since the solution to their posted woes is staring the author plain in the face, it’s purpose appears to lie mostly in inviting conversation of users, rather than spambots to fill the site’s article comments area.

Some games are made to order, and some are designed to individual taste. Find your game, for your reasons.

20. Patrick Garratt

I actually wrote the intro, so the word “core” was me.

21. Mace

That’s a very good depiction and I think more and more gamers are getting aware of this although many people who never really got into games knew this from the very beginning (I don’t mean those who just didn’t understand or care for it but saw the lack of a meaningful experience). When I like the storytelling, ideas and style of a game I certainly make exceptions (though usually not at full price anymore) and I can also see the attraction of traditional building or strategy games, which is something where games will always be unique and can possibly provide a valuable experience.

22. SplatteredHouse

@20: Thanks for pointing that out, Pat. I may read it through again later, and come up with something to add, rather than edit what I placed.

Games are a form of entertainment. There’s no requirement of how anybody plays a game, the focus or goal they themselves adopt.
    There are rewards for a player to find, if they want those rewards.
    The developer, the creator never mandates that the player may only play a set way, although it may be the case that playing in a fashion intended causes progression. Additional content to be reached.

“I want to be able to feel like I’m great at something not by being able to compare my score, but by my accruing in-game abilities.”

So saying, you wish a game to give you a character to advance; or are you referring to a need for your skill at a game to be reflected in a way beyond a hi score tally? It seems like this wouldn’t be a tough find, from the number of games released,really?

23. hitnrun

Agreed with Mr Bowden.

There have always been stupid games, unimaginative games, games living off a franchise pedigree. But at some point in the last ten years, the economics changed (or rather, were perfected) and the market expanded, creating a low-risk, little-progress formula for publishers, and such games now command the industry.

It’s not fair to blame it all on Bobby Kotick, but he makes a good emblem. He brought Activision to the top with his “grocery store,” “get the fun out” philosophy to making games. That’s more or less what’s happened to most AA and AAA titles, and hence the bulk of the industry in dollars, with truly interesting and immersive titles mostly the work of low-budget startups.

CliffyB and his company’s dubious graphical obsession is more or less the way we’ve been coming, and without change (like that from a Atari-crash-esque death of mainstream interest), the way we will continue to go. We’ve been playing the same game since Half-Life and Goldeneye, and mostly with the same graphical profile, but each generation looks a little better.

24. OlderGamer

I agree with Mike.

You can’t really put your finger on it tho. And its imposible to explan to someone that doesn’t feel the same way. But sometimes, many times I absolutly hate video games.

But its near the first thing I do each and every day. I am disabled, am pretty much immoble and sitting on my ass offers few choices. there is TV. Books. Music. Writting. And Video Gaming. Everything gets old after awhile. Games are no different.

But games do need to evolve. At this point I feel like I have played everything. Sure the names were different, but the core gameplay was the same. Just like Mike said, new pretty wraper for the same old shit.

Nowadays games blur the lines between genres, and while that may seem great, it has draw backs. Because to me, many of the games feel too much the same. Also graphics are a problem for me. too many games are near photrealistic that they look the same. take a racer, take five different racers, and stick a real life car in those games – your going to get five car models in five different games, that look the exact same in each game. Add in improving physics engines, and they all handle the same. Add in real life tracks, and you have bascily the same experiences in each game.

Racing is the easist genere I can think to deminstrate what I am talking about. But it is there in many many many other games. I was playing Battlefield beta today – and thinking it sure felt a lot like COD, esp in that narrow tunnel where we were all crammed into a tight space.

Sequels are a nother huge problem.

Sure we all know about the way Tony Hawk or GH were run into the ground and killed. But do we still need Halo? Can’t we just have “Brought to vy the same studio that made halo” printed on the box of a toataly new game instead? Will you want to play Ass Cred 14? Couldn’t someone make the arguement that Final Fantasy should have actualy been the Final fantasy after all? What does Gears 3 do that Gears 1 and 2 didn’t?

Bagh I hate big box games for the most part these days anyways.

And don’t even get me started on DLC!! Stupid. Nothing better then a 60usd game launching with 25usd – 45usd day one DLC that are codes to unlock “hidden” content already embeded into the game disc – I am looking at you EA and Epic, and in truth so many other people I couldn’t prolly list them all.

The older you get, the more stupid pisses you off. You just don’t have patients for it. Think what it would like to hear George Carlin rant about video games. Thats whay I feel like. I hate em. But I am not gonna stop playing them. They are a part of my life, and have been for years.

But I am jaded. You will become that way too. When you get older. And don’t tell me that your 25 or 32 and think I am full of shit, because YOU don’t feel the way I do. You will, but your not old enough yet to understand what I mean.

Things start to change when your kids start kicking you around in agame. But thats not what does it. What really does it is when you realize one day that the game shelf at the store is loaded with stuff you don’t enjoy. Because most of it is aimed at 15yr olds(or 25yr olds that haven’t figured out they aren’t 15yr olds anymore).

I think it is just geting older to be honest.

I still have games I enjoy.

And that is what keeps me going.

I love Civ V(and civ rev). I play various XBLA/PSN games – I love Zen Pinball FX. I play PSO BB like I was getting paid to do so. And just recently I found Dungeon Hunters Alliance on PSN.

That game might well be the best game I have played all year. Its on par or better then any action RPG I have ever played(including Diablo II – mostly because 4 player couch co-op is great fun).

There are gems out there to be had for the gamer that no longer walks the beaten path with the 15yr old boys. But you have to look harder, lower your expectations, and be true to yourself. Just because some company put multi millions in promoting their newest latest greates(shooter) doesn’t mean you will enjoy it.

I say, good job Mike. Let people in the games industry know there are legions of gamers out there that aren’t blown away with shiny pretty crap. And that graphics aren’t enough. The same old shit is well old.

Just don’t hold your breath for anyone to listen. Most people just can’t figure out what is wrong with you and prolly don’t care enough to listen.

25. Dannybuoy

I agree with pretty muchall of above. Too many chore games about theses these days

26. Freek

Gears of War 3 is the perfect example of the fact that games are changing to be more inclusive.
    The difficulty was drasticly rebalanced to the point where normal is pretty much casual mode. It has tons of multiplayer modes for people who do not want to play competative: extensive horde mode, beast mode, co-op mode. All modes that are just about having a bitt of fun with friends in a casual setting.

I’m in a similar sort of place, 29 years old, a job, social comitments, and no time to sink 60 hours into a game.
    But that hasn’t turned me in a jaded old man. It meant I choose to play different games, games with more singleplayer focus and a more casual difficulty and more story or really simpel XBLA arcadey stuff.
    Recently been playing Deus: EX: HR and Renegade Ops. Games that aren’t about getting 100 headshots but are just fun to play and/or offer a deep story experience.
    There’s plenty of games out there, you just have to be more carefull about what you play.

27. SplatteredHouse

“The difficulty was drasticly rebalanced to the point where normal is pretty much casual mode.”

Not that again! >.<

Normal is normal, other than when it isn't Normal, but easy; unless it is more akin to Hard, at which point you'll probably want to select Easy, unless that's adjusted closer to Normal, because of how hard it actually is.
    Select your difficulty:

Normal should be predictable. That's its whole intention, to give an entry-level of recommended play. For the designer to say that they believe the game to offer the most satisfying entertaining play experience, at that setting. Normal becoming easy is just wrong. It's terrible design.

28. adequate gamer

29. Quiiick

Best article I’ve ever read on VG247!

What I really hate about games it the fact that they are called “games”.
    It illustrates that’s it’s all about mastering your controller(s). And that’s boring.

I prefer titles like Fallout 3, Heavy Rain or L.A. Noire. They’re all about exploring and experiencing. And by no means are they great games without lots of flaws but they are heading into the right direction.

30. absolutezero

You know I can fairly agree with some of this to be honest, I got so put off by Demon’s Souls willingly obtuse nature that I stopped playing it.

Heres where Im slightly different, I would never want Demon’s Souls to be different to what it is just to suit me. DS does what it does very very well it just does not appeal to me at all to memorise icons and match them up to elements to try and figure out what “Holy” is.

I dispise hand holding, but then I can easily play a game on Easy with no harm to my “Gamer Ego”, I decide how I want to play each game I am interested in as and when I begin to play them. Each is its own being, its own thing with which to interact, if it wants me to do something different then im going to go along with it.

You’ve always been a misrable sod morriss so im not all that surprised that you’ve finally fallen out of love with gaming.

31. sb319

Most games nowadays have a “content tourist” or equivalent difficulty mode where you can just breeze through it and see the fun stuff. In fact Gears of War 3 is one such game, it’s all spectacle so why you mention Cliff Blezinski’s quote is a mystery. The game is very accessible. Why should the mere suggestion of prettier visuals imply difficult games that require learning, iteration and repetition? That’s a bit of a leap of logic.

In fact, easy games are by far the norm now – very few devs are making supremely difficult games that require huge investment from the player. There are those hardcore games out there that crave such a challenge, and every now and then they get a treat like Demon Souls or some regressive beatemup or “bullet hell” shooter, but these games are now clearly in the minority. Mainstream titles are generally very accessible, high on spectacle and light on what you describe as “learning”.