DICE lists changes coming to Battlefield 3 thanks to beta feedback

Saturday, 1st October 2011 14:14 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

DICE has listed the changes it’s making to Battlefield 3 thanks to all the hard work done by beta testers.

While a full list has been posted on the Battlelog forums, a shorter list with high profile changes is posted below, courtesy of the Battlefield Blog:

• Fixed occasional client crash when reviving.
  • Fixed killcam showing glitched area under map if your killer is dead.
  • Issue with spawning on dead squad mates fixed.
  • Fixed a bug where shooting at a moving enemy could cause more than the intended amount of damage.
  • Crosshairs for shotguns have been replaced with a new, thinner, art.
  • A subtle low health screen effect has been added.
  • Tweaked scores of Medals and Service Stars.
  • Tweaked the Rank progression.
  • Pushing prone on console will not play the animation twice.
  • Fixed loss of Squad Leader after EOR at some times.
  • Framerate stability fixes.
  • The 3D spotting icons has been tweaked to better match the target’s visibility. Icons will show frequently less on mostly obscured targets.
  • Fixed issue with crosshair disappearing after round transition.
  • Fixed issue with crosshair disappearing after trying to deploy while the countdown timer still active.
  • Squad list now shows specializations chosen, VOIP activity and dead squad mates.
  • Non working options in squad menu fixed: “Private” flag and “Switch Teams”.

Up to date news on changed and the beta itself can be found in the news section of Battlelog.

Meanwhile, DICE released a “welcome to the beta” video yesterday, and it can be watched below.

1. chriswhaaat

I thought I was getting killed with one shot far too often. And always while running. now they just need to fix the whole falling through craters to beneath the map business

2. HauntaVirus

I’m not trying to minimize the amount of time and effort that went into this game but I’m horribly underwhelmed by the beta. I’ll give it another shot though.

3. M. K.

They should read the feedback more carefully, it’s only about the half of the problems I’m experiencing with the Xbox 360 version :D

4. Gekidami

Wheres “Fixed clipping issues making players fall through the map”?

And i’ve also noticed a bug where players can survive with 0% health, even worst; Someone told me that apparently when that happens, the player is invincible in till their health regenerates past 1%.

And they really need to balance semi-auto sniper rifles, without a scope or with a x2 scope they’re ridiculously effective at close to medium range, even more so than a shotgun.

5. Maximum Payne

Well I think they are focusing on fixing the game itself rather then beta build which was god knows how long.

6. GrimRita

@4 the 0% health thing has been in since Bad Company 2 and its STILL there – so dont hold you’re breath.

According to the post on battleplop, this is ‘Part 1′ of whats being fixed.

Personally, by releasing such a poor quality beta has probably done more damage than good especially if they are looking to win customers from CoD.

7. turbulence

For those who want to see Caspian Border + Jets

8. RRODboxnogames

What about that blue covered screen you randomly get when you respawn ?

9. ManuOtaku

Dont Hate me for what im about to say but for what i did played in the demo, i do like Bad company 2 better, i dont know what it is i cannot put the finger on it, but sometimes i wish battlefield 3 is and evolution from BC2, but in my eyes is not i hope the whole game is better, either way i gonna buy it on that wish alone.

10. GrimRita

@9 I think its the map, Metro. Its VERY BC2 and I have already said after playing alpha that Bf3 is nothing more than BC3. I havent played the 64 player map, which might change my mind but right now, it certainly isnt a day 1 purchase any more.

11. Sadismek

@10 Yeah, I completely changed my mind after playing Metro. Battlefield 3 isn’t a day 1 purchase for me either.

12. freedoms_stain

@4, in BC2 health was rounded to the nearest whole number, so if their health was <0.5% when they kill someone it shows as 0%, I assume the same is true of BF3.

The "invincible" thing is bullshit.

13. Moonwalker1982

I absolutely am loving the beta more and more, but the list of bugs is just crazy. I have several things that i don’t see on that list. Just now, the sound of footsteps was gone, or incredibly low volume. EA Connection errors in the middle of the game. Loading screens that keep loading, crashes and so on.

14. DonnerKebab

You only have to watch the Caspian Border footage to know BF3 will be good – this is essentially a cracking game… but why is Metro a BF3 map at all??? BF without vehicles on a small map is… MoH

The glitches will be ironed out I hope, but when will EA update their creaking servers.

Also apparent: the MASSIVE compromise on graphics that DICE have had to make for the outdated consoles (I have consoles but if ever there was a game that said dump them in the bin and get a PC, this is it).

15. DonnerKebab

Oh yes – Grenades sticking to leaves…. er….

16. Moonwalker1982

I thought i was gonna hate the map but i love it. Ok i admit, the beginning is kinda meh, but i LOVE the metro. It makes for different kind of gameplay but still feels like Battlefield, awesome battles in the subway, love it!!!

But goddamn…this has to be the buggiest beta ever for me. More to add to the list: Ridiculous animations of soldiers, completely wrong, when shooting someone, sometimes he flies all over the map, and so on.

17. Ireland Michael

“by releasing such a poor quality beta”

Someone still doesn’t understand what beta means.

“But goddamn…this has to be the buggiest beta ever for me.”

Then you clearly haven’t played many betas.

Most “betas” that come out nowadays are just glorified demos – the finished product, used to generate hype. You never hear updates about improvements or fixes during these.

Seeing how Dice is clearly monitoring feedback and implementing a steady stream of fixes within very short spans of time (this is what? Day four? And they’ve already fixed a tonne of stuff?), this is clearly not one of those glorified demos.

18. blackdreamhunk

you know what I might pick this game up I was sitting on the side lines thinking that I have to many games already. I mean I have a mmo in th wings right now kight of the old republic. Not only that kind sick of shooters and console ports.

19. Stardog

Are they still trying to pretend BF3 is PC-focused?

The beta is a joke, and until they remove Origin and browser-based launching, which reduces the game to a pop-up app, I won’t be buying.

20. LOLshock94

not even the fucking beta testers needed to test this

21. G1GAHURTZ

It’s BDH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. Antisuperman

Yeah, to people complaining about the beta being buggy, I read somewhere that DICE said the beta build of the game is NOT the same that’s being released. A large scale beta is a much more effective way of finding bugs than any form of testing they can do in house.

That said, not loving the Metro map. Wish they’d released one of the bigger ones.

23. Pendragon1769

the build that they are using if i remember correctly is a month old build i’m sure they have fixed many issues for launch, the falling under the ground has been fixed, it seems to be server based for the issue since most of the servers i have played on the last couple days did not have this problem.

At first i thought the idea of a browser launch was stupid but the more i used it the more i like the idea, i can get into a game faster than i can actually launching a normal game, for switching games all you have to do is alt tab and find a new one and it loads up the next server.

I do agree that some of the animations are rediculous and im praying they are fixed, Origin doesnt bother me to much its pretty much just another steam but for EA games eh whatever. I did get a chance to play on caspian border and i will say it was Fing awesome it felt exactly like a battlefield game, i like metro now i didnt at 1st, most BF2 players dont like rush maps and think that the BF series games should be just conquest, hate to break it to ya but that gets boring after a while.

all in all this will be a day 1 purchase if not just for the “free” maps, i have faith in DICE and they havent let me down yet

24. Ireland Michael

The falling through the ground thing is almost definitely server based, and not client side. It’s just lag from strain on the server network.

25. Pendragon1769

they said the removed the terrain destruction because it was causing issues with the falling through the world, the servers that have it enabled still are the ones with the problem but the lag doesnt help much

26. stretch215

Well, this beta is definitely better than the bad company 2 beta, and that game turned out OK. At least this is playable.

27. CyberMarco

Some extra footage…!

Battlefield 3 BETA Team Deathmatch – Operation Metro

Battlefield 3 BETA Conquest – Operation Metro [Part 1]

Battlefield 3 BETA Conquest – Operation Metro [Part 2]

Enjoy! ;)

28. GwynbleiddiuM

I still see people shooting from below the ground fucking texture since it ignores the environment and serves as a wallhack like experience, the fucking machine guns are OP and imba, I keep getting killed by dudes with scope mounted machine guns from a fucking long range, like from spawn base to spawn base long range, people abusing the flashlight in bright daylight is annoying, ffs in a bright daylight a small flashlight is hardly visible, let alone blinding you, people hide behind covers sometimes being protected by invisible walls that bullets can’t carve through their heads while there’s nothing in front of them. I’m pro prone, but I think it’s being over used a lot, I wouldn’t mind if it was perk or recon only ability even if that’s too silly to even consider it’ll still balances the game better.

29. Shonak

@4: Yeah, these sniper rifles without scope are horrible. If I get killed by a shotgun in close combat than that’s fine. But sniper rifle w/o scope, it’s like quickscoping all over again, even worse probably, since they don’t even have to adjust it that much in close combat.

30. GrimRita

@ 29 it could be like bc2 where a shotgun can kill you from the same range as a sniper

31. blackdreamhunk

you know what I am disappoint BF3 only has 64 players on a map when you can have 128 people on a mp!!!!

32. manamana

@Grim stop whining, you plan to not purchase the game already, so get your CoD fix later.

33. GrimRita

grow up manamana. If you’ve noticed me ‘whining’ then you notice that I dont play CoD. So please, get your facts RIGHT.

Make sure you wipe your brown nose on the EA napkin on the way out.

34. manamana

I dont need to wipe nothing, its you who should get the fuck of Bf3 articles, if you have nothing worthy or at least funny to contribute, arse.

35. Dizasterous

I for one am disapointed in bf3. The left out things I loved about bfbc2 and put in things I hated about call of duty. I personely believe that bfbc2 is a better online game then call of duty. So when I heard of about bf3 I was stoked. But now im in awe. They changed so much of the game I loved that I think i’m going to cancel my reserved copy. Bf3 to me plays like a cross between call of duty and homefront. so here is a list of things I hate. 1 I wanna bring buildings to the ground. 2 hitting L3 to hold my breath when sniping (this is battlefield not call of duty) 3 like in bfbc2 they left out laying down because they said it didn’t add any dynamic to the game (well it doesnt in bf3 either) 4 put the ammo box back with the assault class and the med pack back with the LMGs (support, medic) 5 the way the guns jump around when firing is ridiculous compared to bfbc2. 6 the iron sights are to thick looking thin them out 7 throwing grenades is stupid looking and ineffective. I understand people dont have the same views as me on all these issues. But as a big fan of battfield bad conpany 2. I hoped for something similar with a couple new tweeks and new maps. I didnt expect a whole new multiplayer experience. One that in my opinion doesnt live up to bfbc2 standards. Maybe in the near future they can make a new bad company game with a more simular experience as bfbc2. Until then i’ll keep playing bfbc2 or maybe skyrim

36. Dralen

For a start, this is Battlefield 3 not Bad Company 3, it’s the sequel to Battlefield 2. Second, this is a beta not a multiplayer demo; so it’s going to have a lot of bugs. Third, they are trying to find bugs; they probably thought metro would be the best map to find bugs and that’s why they are using it.

I understand alot of betas today are glorified demos *Cough* Gears of War 3 *Cough*. But dice aren’t like that.

37. GrimRita

@34 I will post where I want thank you very much. Maybe its just because I have higher standards for this and like many here, have come away unimpressed. Deal with it.

38. manamana

No, if anything I have to get used to some troll stating on nearly every BF3 article, how its not becoming a day1 purchase or no purchase at all. Please take your *higher standards* and just don’t buy this game, you would do us all a favor, thanks.