XBL Activity for week of September 19 – Gears 3 comes second to Black Ops

Friday, 30th September 2011 21:32 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

While Gears of War 3 didn’t knock Black Ops from its reigning top spot on the XBL Activity chart, it did come in second place on a list filled with plenty a Call of Duty offering. Maybe it will win out next week. Check out the rest of the list below the break. Arcade, Indie, and GFWL charts can be found over on Major Nelson’s blog.

1. Call of Duty: Black Ops
  16. NCAA Football 12
  17. Fallout: New Vegas
  18. Forza Motorsport 3
  19. Red Dead Redemption
  20. Call of Duty: WaW

1. Moonwalker1982

Sigh…..not even Gears 3 on top, again Black Ops? What a joke.

2. minxamo

Gaming is dead.

3. Fin

“What a joke”

Ur, why? Popular game is popular SHOCK. Blops is still fun to play, I certainly enjoy it more than Gears (I played both of them online this week).

“Gaming is dead”

wat. I assume this was sarcasm, don’t see how anyone could make such an ignorant comment seriously.

4. Dark

This is pathetic … and sad.

5. Fin

You mean people complaining about how much a game was played? You’re right there bro.

6. Ireland Michael

Yeah, it’s pretty sad that not even this new title at release even move Black Ops from the top spot. Disappointing, to say the least.

7. Fin

You’re so right! People are such bastards for playing what they enjoy. And developers are such bastards for making games people really like.

If only everyone has as good taste as us, eh?

8. Ireland Michael

@7 You like to suck Black Ops’ cock, we get it.

Please point out to me where I call people bastards? Or do you just respond aggressively to everyone who doesn’t like something that you do? Because your bitter, antagonistic replies to everyone in this thread just make you sound like an angry little child, to be honest.

9. Fin

Some people enjoy Black Ops. I don’t suck its cock, no – I just don’t think “pathetic”, “sad”, “gaming is dead” and “disappointing” is a nice way to talk about their taste.

Nah bro, see I was being sarcastic with the “bastards” comment – everyone was implying that the people who play Black Ops are “wrong” somehow. I just extrapolated this a bit to make an exaggerated point.

I might sound like an angry little child, but all of ye sure sound like arrogant gits who get depressed because OMG MY PERSONAL PREFERENCE FOR GAMING IS NOT SHARED BY EVERYONE ELSE.
    People have different tastes. The mainstream is the mainstream. Grow up.

10. daytripper

for me 3rd person > 1st person, especially if the game is of a high quality likes gears, mass effect, uncharted. if people in the majority buy call of duty etc that is up to them, i’m happy as long as things i like keep coming out and so far, they are.

11. fengato

I really feel for the devs on this one – they’ve gone to great lengths to right the wrongs of Gears 2. The dedicated servers have yet to fail me – the game has the speed, feel and polish that was lacking in 2. Problem is that Epic virtually lost their community and online player base during Gears 2 – and with COD now fully cemented as king, they’ll struggle to compete. Epic squander…

12. daytripper

@11 the online is pretty packed with players doing co-op,arcade, horde, beast and versus and considering this is the best selling gears title i honestly dont know why you say it has lost its community

13. Moonwalker1982

I’m just completely baffled that people still aren’t tired as hell of Call of Duty, i certainly am. And i used to be a huge fan, loved COD 2, MW1, WaW. Then came MW2 and it started to go downhill, i gave Black Ops a chance and at first i enjoyed but soon the boredom crept in and it has never left me. Tired of everything COD, the whole feeling, the same goddamn mechanics and engine , every-fucking thing. One big rehash that has turned into a yearly game. They put a new features into it and there you go…yet another COD.

Yeah…a huge joke is what i call it. If EA with DICE would start doing this, shitting out a new Battlefield each year, i’d get tired as hell of it too. Or Bethesda, releasing a new Elder Scrolls or Fallout each year, Rockstar releasing a GTA each year, and so on.

14. fengato

@ #12. I live in Oz, and there’s rarely over 100 people playing in “my” region (regular matchmaking). The crappy netcode in 2 decimated the community.

A polished(and refreshing) game like this deserves to do well – I sincerely hope it does.

@ #13
    I feel exactly the same. Big fan of COD in past years, though the fatigue sets in quickly these days. I enjoying making my way through the weapons, though the boredom emerges pretty swiftly after that. COD4 has served as an amazing FPS template, though after all these years I’m in need of something genuinely fresh.

15. G1GAHURTZ

Cheer up silly trolls, and use your brains (if you have one).

Why would a game that’s only sold 3 million copies come ahead of a game that’s probably owned by at least three times as many people?

Silly trolls.

16. hitnrun

Call of Duty is literally a way of life for vast numbers of people. It is very much like Madden or Halo. There are people who have played virtually nothing but Call of Duty – not shooters, Call of Duty – since CoD4.

I know some of them. They play every weeknight, don’t even finish the campaign by the time the next year’s game comes out, and have no idea what an infinity ward is or why they should care.

So yes, gaming is dead, inasmuch as it’s no longer dominated by videogame enthusiasts.

17. OrbitMonkey

Billy- Gosh mommy, why do all the dweebs hate CoD so much?

Mom- Because they think it’ll help their balls drop honey…

18. Sadismek

@9 It seems to me like you’re the one who acts like a git because his gaming preferences are not the same with the others. You are in antithesis with yourself.
    @15 Having an opinion means being a troll? Gotta note that somewhere.

19. Fin

Nah bro, I’ve no problem with other people having different gaming preferences – my problem is with people who think their preference is somehow superior to others.
    Is Gears 3 a fundamentally better game, technically and aesthetically, than Blops? Yes. Does that mean it’s the end of gaming because it didn’t reach top spot? Fuck. No. Does that mean Blops is somehow less of a game? Fuck. No. Does that mean people who think Blops is a better game are stupid? Fuck. No.

I honestly don’t see what peoples’ problem is with Call of Duty. Yeah it’s a yearly franchise. Yeah it’s not the best there is creatively or technically. So what? Why does it matter? I don’t know anyone who gets so worked up about films like Transformers/Abduction/generic chick flick, that’re shit but make lots of money, and are released yearly. Why is it different with games?

20. Sadismek

@19 Some people want quality over quantity. Call of Duty was a great francise, I enjoyed CoD4, MW1, but as someone said earlier, they need to do something fresh. It matters for those who are gamers, you know? And by gamers I mean the ones who don’t think that Zynga’s FarmVille is the best game ever.

21. loike

This shouldn’t be too hard to guess. At the moment it isn’t possible to use backup copies of Gears 3 on the 360 because of the new XDG3 format. So no pirates are allowed to login to xboxlive with Gears 3. Do the math.

22. Fin

If you want something fresh, why not just go play something else? Bastion, From Dust, Child of Eden, Ico (rerelease) are all great games that’re not FPSs. Why not go play them?
    It should never matter what other people play.

I watched the first few seasons of Grey’s Anatomy, when it stagnated and became shit I just stopped watching – I didn’t bitch about how it used to be better, or how the people who still watched it were idiots. I just got on with my life.

Why is it different with games.

23. G1GAHURTZ

…but as someone said earlier, they need to do something fresh. It matters for those who are gamers, you know?

They need to do no such thing.

Why in the world does it matter to you!?

If you don’t like the game, don’t play it! If you see a CoD headline, don’t read the story!

If you don’t like CoD, or are bored with it, I can guarantee you that nobody cares. I don’t care. Other gamers don’t care. IW don’t care, and you’d better believe that Bobby Kotick doesn’t care.

So if it doesn’t matter to anyone else, it definitely shouldn’t matter to you.

You’re acting like you lose sleep at night because CoD isn’t different enough for you.

As Fin has also suggested, go play something else and stop whinging…

24. DaMan

Those criticizing CoD seem to have little to no sense of perspective. The game, like any huge dedicated omp has immense value. To call out customers who choose to get value for their money as not enough of erm, ‘gaming enthusiasts’ or ‘real gamers’ and the such is ludicrous. It is misleading and short sighted.

I would name plenty examples of franchises which have literally hurted the industry, and impacted it in a much worse way than anything similar to CoD.

Take e.g. Final Fantasy. In the 90s, Square ‘ve been making quite a few intriguing, clever, beautiful games like Vagrant Story, Chrono Trigger/Cross, other devs ‘ve been making amazing alternatives giving birth to Star Ocean, Suikoden, Grandia, and so on. But, none of them sold in the west.

FF kept on being a juggernaut regardless, and customers weren’t spending days after days competing online, getting better at it or anything. It was the most watered down, accessible lowest common denominator. It’s been like that in 1995 and only became worse around 2000.

In 2001 we’ve had an amazing game called Shadow Hearts, it has a beautiful artstyle, refreshing plot and chars, fun gameplay, yet utterly flopped in comparison to millions selling FFX with it’s cringeworthy storyline and protagonist, and it’s pompous 3 second midi loops. Later, with Shadow Hearts Covenant Sacnoth took note and dumbed down everything, and turning Yuri into a dark Tidus, as a result the game fared better, but alienated most of it’s original fans.

Every single alt series has been gradually dying, and most of them either transformed into FF clones or disappeared. there was no point in developing a Vagrant Story when you’ve had FF, because even titles from Square didn’t do any huge numbers.

And players weren’t enjoying it online, it was just a poorly written tired plot with screen swirling pseudo gameplay which anyone could equally play serving the purpose of getting you from start to finish to see yet another cg movie. The game didn’t reward better players, nothing. At some point it became clear people ‘re practically buying them cg movies.

Myself, I highly dislike CoD, but any title which manages to satisfy that much customers in a real way and keep on giving them continuous replay value for years deserves all of it’s success and acclaim. Suggesting that it’s formula should be fundamentally changed is ridiculous as well, it’s like telling football players (certainly it’s not comparable to couch sports but just as an example) that they’re hurting table tennis or pocker and need to change because someone else is bored of it. Don’t play it then. Those online games offering lots of solid comparable content surely survive regardless.. It’s as if people don’t even notice that they’r reading online charts.

25. Sadismek

I know CoD is one of the most, if not *the* most succesful video game franchise, and I don’t think that it has too much of a negative impact to the industry. And it seems that they have found the formula of succes, it’s selling, people love the last CoD, or hate it, but it sells, and that seems to matter the most to them. I know that a sane man would say “Hell, I’m succesful, why should I change something?”, but I would aim higher and higher, to bring every year the best product possible, to reach the closest thing to perfection. But that’s just me, and my opinion. I know I shouldn’t care, but I used to love CoD, and I know they can do better ;).

26. Gekidami

Just to give you people a history lesson; Halo Reach didnt top the Live chart the week it came out either, MW2 did. But it topped it the week after. I expect Gears 3 to do the same.

27. LOLshock94

whats sad is people hating on a successful game