US News Wrap, September 30 – What Happened Today

Friday, 30th September 2011 22:13 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Many things happened today. Some nice, some not so nice. Well, you all read things on the Internet, I don’t need to tell you about it all.

Today is the last day of September, but since I always have to have everything symmetric (I blame that on being a Libra instead of OCD), you have one more day of music headers to finish out your week.

It has been rather hard on me, honestly, choosing which bands or artists to use as I am a fan of so many different genres, tastes, and styles. Granted, as you probably noticed, I gravitate more towards “metal” and “alternative” (does that even hold meaning anymore?) female vocalists. However, if you were to look through my iTunes list or even my Army trunk full of CDs (not to mention my many boxes of cassette tapes, albums, and 45s) you would find anything and everything under the sun.

Music is indeed my first love, and while it has taken a while for it to get here, my piano will finally arrive sometime next week. It’s a long story as to why it is not in my possession just yet, but instead of ranting about who is to blame for its absence and why (@#$%ing bastard), let’s just say I am pleased as punch I will finally be able to tickle the ivory again, soon. Cross your fingers for me at least. I need some sort of creative outlet in my life, because I can’t knit worth a damn.

Now, let’s get you caught up on my shift before my RSS feed explodes and I feel compelled to keep working.

Have a Happy Friday night!

1. chriswhaaat

disturbd? really stephany? haha

I am not down with the sickness…. already got my flu shot

2. Stephany Nunneley

@2 It’s okay Chris, we can’t all like Lady Gaga :p

3. chriswhaaat

hahaha true. No I used to like them when stupify was big. Then I got into metal more. Up until this I was like “dang she’s got some good taste in music”

4. Perfectionist

I’ve seen them live :), along with KoRn and Hatebreed.

5. Stephany Nunneley

@3 Hey now, I’ve seen Metallica, Iron Maiden, Pantera, AiC, Korn, Megadeth, Zombie, Ozzy, Godsmack, and countless others live – hell even GWAR (LOL got into a fight in a mosh pit at that one actually) and countless other “metal” bands :)

I still blame my poor hearing and chronic whiplash on all those shows :D

6. Clupula

Ah, so you’re still on the beginner metal. It’s okay. We all have to start somewhere.

Eventually, you graduate to Arch Enemy, Dimmu Borgir, the like. After that, it’s up to you whether you want to get into the real heavy shit.

7. Perfectionist

I’m actually not a big fan of metal, i just went ’cause my brother wanted to see them. I prefer Green Day, The Clash and bands like that.

8. Stephany Nunneley

@6 HA aren’t you adorable ;)

@7 Actually I have never been a fan of Korn I was just wanting to see Zombie.

9. chriswhaaat

@5 hahaha that’s a pretty good list except for the fact godsmack is just like disturbd to me. you should listen to stuff like necrophagist and finntroll :p

10. chriswhaaat

@4 Dimmu? how do you graduate to Dimmu? hahaha

11. Stephany Nunneley

@9 It’s hard for me to get into anything where I cannot understand WTF someone is saying or in the case of a lot of stuff now and days, screaming like Cookie Monster on acid into the mic (I blame Cannibal Corpse) for this). My little brother has really tried to get me into stuff like Lamb of God and stuff like that, and while I enjoy Mastodon and wish Dethklok was a real band instead of one guy (the music is awesome!!!!!) I wish I could just turn the vocals off and listen to today’s “metal” without getting a screaming headache. But in all honestly, it’s not true metal, it’s “death metal” (aka Carcass)and “deathcore” now and days with a bit of thrash (which I love) tossed in. I dunno, maybe I am just getting old.

But yeah, Disturbed and Godsmack? They are not metal, just heavy-ish rock really – but not so heavy that radios stations around here are afraid to play them and piss off the masses which 90% of which are bible thumpers.

We have one “rock” station (which still plays too much Emo shit) and one “classic rock” station here – the rest are adult cont., country, or christian (we have 5 of those!!!!). Thank God for Spoitfy and Pandora.

12. Clupula

@4 – Dimmu are a band that I don’t fault people just getting into heavier stuff for liking. They’re like Cradle of Filth in that they’re a, “Awww…well, at least, she’s trying” type band. If that’s like the pinnacle of metal to you, then yes, there’s something very odd about your tastes, but it’s usually the next step up from Godsmack and Slipknot and all that sorta thing. Then people graduate to the heavier shit from there. You start off getting into whatever, you hear Dimmu Borgir and are all like, “Oh, that is slightly heavier.” Then, before you know it, you’re listening to Enslaved and Immortal and a whole bunch of Norwegian bands whose names you only know because someone told you, since their logos are completely unreadable.

Myself, I first got into metal through Ozzy and Metallica. Then I got into Exodus, Venom, Celtic Frost, and Slayer (god, I’m so dating myself right now), before getting into Morbid Angel, Carcass, yadda yadda.

Lamb of God, btw, are completely a transition band. And it’s also amusing to note how much the people of Virginia talk shit about them. My old band was touring down there, they came up in the conversation with the band we were opening for, and everyone just had so much bad to say about them. It was hilarious.

13. Clupula

Cannibal Corpse, btw, even as a death metal fan, I always hated, because there was never any melody to their stuff. You may say, “Of course not, it’s death metal,” but listen to a band like Morbid Angel or early Entombed or any of that sorta stuff and you can actually hum their songs. Even something as heavy as “Chapel of Ghouls” or “Brainstorm” is still hummable. Cannibal Corpse and Deicide were probably the worst thing to happen to death metal, because they were just, “Let’s stick a bunch of random riffs together with blast beats and double bass over them, with no regard to flow. As long as it’s brutal, it’s cool!”

14. Stephany Nunneley

“Exodus (yes!)…Slayer (god, I’m so dating myself right now),”… careful now, you are dating me as well there! I saw Slayer (won’t say what year) once – a guy fell on me from five rows above and broke my pinkie finger. :D

Thank god for the 1/2 pint of Jim Beam I snuck inside the arena in my pantyhose (mini skirts ftw!) otherwise I would have felt the break and not been able to finish the show.

15. chriswhaaat

speaking of slayer the only reason I’ve never been to a show is because my friend told the 1 show she went to some dude literally got thrown straight through a wall. So yeah, no slayer for me haha

@11 yeah thats understandable. I was the same way at first, but the longer I listened to it the more it sounded like actual words. And I totally agree with you it really isn’t true metal. I actually did enjoy Disturbd and Godsmack back in the day, but, like many things, grew out of that phase. I think I might actually have them System of a Down and Slipknot to thank for starting me on my path to metal. Either that or my mom making me listen to stuff like Jimi Hendrix, Led Zep and Deep Purple as a child.

I like how this entire comments thread has just turned into a conversation about metal haha

16. Stephany Nunneley

@15 – System of a Down and Slipknot – I approve of this :)

17. Clupula

@15 – seeing Slayer for the first time was a huge experience. I went there with these two girls I know. One of which weighs about 85 lbs. Before Slayer started, I was telling them they may want to not be in the front. One of the girls was all, “Oh, I’ve seen Pantera, I’m sure it can’t be any wilder than that.”

Well, Slayer opened with “Bitter Peace” and during the slow part, the other girl got knocked out of the pit. I immediately shielded the smaller one, because I knew what was happening, and started leading her towards the walls of the arena. The fast part comes and, BAM! I’m getting him on all sides by flying bodies. It was nuts. I finally got her out by the end of the song and went to join the pit myself.

During “Angel of Death,” this skinhead comes flying into me, and hits his forehead into my jaw. I was tasting blood, but I wasn’t about to stick my fingers in my mouth in the pit during “Angel of Death.” I think he just loosened the tooth because it’s still there today.

But yeah, a Slayer performance is an experience. I was so proud of waking up with my ears ringing, my throat sore, and my body bruised. lol

18. chriswhaaat

@16 Funny thing about System my old best friend used to live in the apartment below them in Glendale, CA haha

@17 Yeah see that’s why I wouldn’t go to a slayer show. I weigh 150 but I’m tall haha. Sucks I can’t gain weight for the life of me.

19. Clupula

@18 – Myself, I’m 130 lbs. at 6′.