Newell: Origin “does some things well”

Friday, 30th September 2011 09:49 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Gabe Newell, taking a potshot at a rival? Never. No, really, never.

The Valve boss has talked to PC Gamer (via CVG) about his experiences with Origin, telling the mag that while there are “some things” the EA service does right, there are others it could it improve upon.

“I think it does some things well. I think there are still some areas where, as a customer, I’d like to see it improve. It’s not that different from any other system like this. There are positive things and negative things,” said Newell.

In terms of Steam’s future, the company boss was mum.

“I and everyone at Valve know that you’re only as successful as what you’ve done lately,” he added. “So the idea that Steam is somehow the answer to digital distribution ignores the fact that every two or three years, something is going to change dramatically.”

EA has seen its games removed from Steam because of “a whole complicated set of issues,” according to past comments from Newell, but has said it’s still reconcilable, with the publisher putting them and their DLC on Origin instead.

Origin has had 4 million client installs as of earlier this month.

1. viralshag

I don’t mind Origin. It has a long way to go before I would ever consider it as a constantly run app like Steam is on my machine. I do like the cosmetic appeal though, it feels clean and crisp. That’s about all the praise I can think of for now. That and it launches my games…

2. jnms

I’m waiting for the Steam Could Streaming Game Service announcement…

3. thesamy

EA did a smart move with battlefield 3 with not put in on steam, to attract us the service. BUT thay need to know that ppl will not use it to buy thire future games.
    that what i think.

4. GrimRita

Origins will never replace steam simply because it sucks. Hell, it cant even handle the hype surrounding BF3.

And charging £40 for a download is a joke EA.

5. Giskard

You all seem to forget this was how Steam started. Except they had CS, and EA have Battlefield. Also, the original Steam was waaaaaaay worse than this.

6. YoungZer0

@5: Origin should be better than Steam. Otherwise i don’t see how it could convince people.

7. Talkar

Why does everyone only see it like Origin has to either kill Steam, or die itself. Why not have both Origin and Steam? It is only good for us the customers, since that would bring more competition to the market.

8. DSB

There’s no real competition brought by EA. They can sell their products cheaper than anyone else at their own leisure. Not that they’ll neccesarily make use of it, they just want 100% on every sale.

It’s not very likely that they’ll see support by other publishers. They’ll most likely just make their own clients, which could mean a higher segregation, giving publishers the option to go exclusive whenever they want to, with an added inconvenience to us.

9. Funkyd

@5 Origin is competing with 2011 Steam, not the one from 2004. It’s not a valid defence.

10. Maximum Payne

@9 You can’t just get better or even with you commpetitor on same day.
    Example like Homefront cant compete with Modern Warfare 2 which was like 6 in series and Bad Company 2 which was like again big number in series :D
    Same thing with Steam vs Origin.
    Imagine someone want to make new football game.He need to compete not only with Pes but with also Fifa and that will be really really hard thing to do right?

11. UKTomm

Saying ‘This is how Steam started out’ is stupid. Steam was successful at the time because there wasn’t anything like it. Now, there’s places like Steam, D2D and so on and at the moment, Origin aren’t doing anything to wow me. Plus, the download speeds are appalling compared to Steam.

Also, what @9 said:

‘Origin is competing with 2011 Steam – not the one from 2004′.