Fan reaction to Dragon Age 2 “caught us off-guard,” says Muzyka

Friday, 30th September 2011 13:58 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Bioware has reiterated that it was shocked over fans’ “polarizing” reaction to Dragon Age 2.

Speaking with Xbox World in an interview (via CVG), the firm’s co-founder Ray Muzyka said the team was caught “off-guard” by reaction to the game, despite being “delighted” with the new fans garnered from the release.

“Our goal is to take all the feedback we get on any of our franchises and use it to make the next game in the franchise better,” said Muzyka, mirroring comments made by senior producer Fernando Melo back in July.

“Dragon Age 2 was incredibly polarising and it caught us off-guard, honestly,” Muzyka continued. “It appealed to a new fanbase and we were delighted by that, but we’ve heard fans who wanted more of the Origins experience.

“We have to take all that feedback and find a way to marry those together, so we can bring everyone on the journey with us.”

Mark of the Assassin, a new bit of story DLC for DA2 slated for October 11, will address fan feedback pertaining to the game’s difficulty level and “dumbing down” complaints by containing “more tactically challenging combat.”

1. viralshag

I didn’t mind DA2 but at this stage I can’t really remember my exact feelings as I was pretty much done after one playthrough. Maybe that’s saying something though.

2. DSB

It’s hard to take Bioware seriously these days, and it certainly doesn’t get any easier by Myzuka doing the whole corporate dance and delivering the same taglines that everybody else has been given.

3. The_Red

Actually the changes of DA2 aren’t the reason most fans hated it. It was because the game was really poor and rushed. Even if original DAO was made this way (Rushed, full of pointless and recycled stuff) it would have been considered a disappointing game.

4. YoungZer0

I actually think the art-direction was an improvement. Just think that most elements were way too rushed.

5. StolenGlory

It’s a shame really; I was fully intending to buy DA2 after enjoying the original, but no sooner had I decided to go down the shops and buy it in the end, then The Witcher 2 completely blindsided me – monopolising all of my attention in the process.

There was no turning back after that sadly =/

6. viralshag

Blimey, now I remember. Yeah, DA2 was great with all of it’s 4 locations of hill, town, cave and warehouse. Jeez, I completely remember now why I only did one playthrough, because I could bare replaying through the same unchanging locations.

7. Erthazus

DAO2 was poor since demo was released. It was obvious.

and yes, it was rushed. When i remember Direct X11 problems it’s like i’m back to the days when direct X8.1 was something new and not everyone knew what to do with it.

But if it was rushed… What they were thinking with the story? I mean it’s three different big quests, but not a campaign.

8. YoungZer0

@7: What exactly do you mean? If the game is rushed, so’s the story.

9. UuBuU

You can’t please everyone, Bioware. You’re never going to make a game that appeals both to the masses and your more hardcore fans. Choose one or the other – wealth and popularity, or respect and admiration.

10. Zana

When I look at DA2 I always get the feeling that it’s an alpha version of the game. Textures and lighting are extremely poor.

11. DSB

@9 I reckon that choice was made once they sold to EA.

12. flameifrit

@6 Hit the nail on the head there.

13. Phoenixblight

I enjoyed this game a lot, infact I had 3 playthroughs with it. Yeah it had reused some areas but that’s not something I found to throw a fit about.

14. Mace

It had only 3 Acts, that could easily be made into one. The rest was just a downhill slide to the end.
    Let’s keep our wits together though and not forget that on RPG standards DA:O was also nothing special. That’s a nice fallback tactic by Bioware. “Oh, you thought DA2 was a mixed bag, because we were trying something innovative, but DA:O was the most perfect super-hardcore RPG ever.” It was only special because it was one of the first (more or less) full-blown RPGs in 3D.

15. Erthazus

@14, DAO 1 was at least Bioware goodbye to Baldurs Gate series. It felt like an oldschool RPG game… but yeah it was not the best one… Ehh..

@8, i mean that they screwed up the entire Dragon age storyline with 3 small acts. 3 small acts felt really poor.

16. DSB

@14 It wasn’t really close to being the first though.

I think it just got the core gameplay right, as opposed to the previous 3D RPGs. Origins sacrificed a lot for scale, and you can always argue that it would’ve been a better game if it was 20 hours shorter, but ultimately it’s rewarding to play and while the whole universe is as generic as it comes, it still keeps the game going.

I’m not gonna waste money or time on DA2, but it seems to me like the problem was that they didn’t try to innovate, they just tried to awkwardly squeeze their tactical RPG into the suit of an action RPG – Because Mass Effect! I think that’s ultimately why The Witcher 2 has it beat, because it is what it was meant to be.

17. Mace

It wasn’t just a “goodbye”, it was a game that was supposed to deliver the oldschool experience but at the same time have new ideas and some innovations in non-linear storytelling. It was sort of the next step of the original Bioware RPG model. In the end, it was a fairly average game in most areas and the fighting was a monotonous, dull affair.

18. fearmonkey

I loved the first game, and enjoyed the 2nd in spite of the changes that almost ruined it.
    The story was good, but IMHO the characters in Origins were more interesting, DA2 didn’t have anyone quite as interesting as Shale, Morrigan, Oghren or Zevran. I liked the characters in Da2, I loved the characters in Origins.
    The combat hopefully changes, Mages need to wield big DOT’s again like in Origins. The lightsaber force style combat mages had in DA2 was annoying.
    I missed the gifts and inventory in the first game.
    Overusing the environments was a bad bad decision, though the graphics were better.

19. DSB

@17 I didn’t have that experience at all. I thought the combat was exactly where it needed to go from the old games. Fair enough if people want DnD tedium in their videogames, but for me it was visceral and brainy to the point where it never really got boring, even with all the rinse and repeat.

@18 I’m amazed whenever I see that. Morrigan and Oghren were so one-dimensional and predictable that it almost hurt my brain. Morrigan wants to eat babies and paint the whole world black, and Oghren wants to drink and screw. A debaucherous, drunken dwarf, and an evil evil witch – Really? Really?

I liked Shale and Sten, especially with the dog.

20. Erthazus

@DSB,
    Morrigan was awesome. Even if it was quite obvious about what she is after… She was a mysterious woman and it was interesting to follow her story. Her mom roots were interesting. Her past was interesting. there was something about her. something special. It just felt that she was created with a soul.

also, the voice actor for Morrigan is fucking amazing. I like her very much.

she also voiced Chloe from Uncharted 2:Among Thieves

21. Aimless

Morrigan wasn’t evil, just pragmatic to a fault. If you spoke to her a lot you also started to see the cracks in that persona.

I thought DA2‘s combat was two steps forward, one step back. I liked that it was sped up and was based on a more consolidated set of skills, but then there were less welcome changes such as not having weapons sets and the enemies randomly appearing during combat; that last one really undermined tactical play.

22. hitnrun

Dragon Age: Origins was marketed as the “spiritual successor” to Baldur’s Gate, but it felt more like the spiritual successor to whatever Bioware’s last game was, with some Blizzard elements thrown in for the kids. Morrigan made me stop playing. Bleh to faux-edgy New-Bioware anti-heroes.

“Dragon Age 2 was incredibly polarising and it caught us off-guard, honestly,”

Really? You were surprised that a new, experimental sequel that you put together in a year to follow a game that was already absorbing huge amounts of your company’s resources for endless DLC was polarizing?

23. Clupula

For me, the battle system of the original was worlds better than that of DA2. DA:O felt like Final Fantasy XII’s battle system, but done right. DA2 felt like a typical, boring button-masher.

24. Joe_Gamer

@DSB “A debaucherous, drunken dwarf, and an evil evil witch – Really? Really?”

LOL Shit that description alone would have sold me on the game, I mean really what could be more fun?

25. Sadismek

“It appealed to a new fanbase…” Say what?