Go time: Battlefield 3 beta opens on 360, PS3 and PC

Thursday, 29th September 2011 10:27 GMT By Patrick Garratt

This is it, soldier. No more deals, promos and pre-buys. The Battlefield 3 multiplayer beta has gone completely open on Xbox 360, PS3 and PC.

The Battlefield 3 multiplayer beta has now gone live on all platforms: it’s available to download and play on PC, Xbox 360 and PS3.

PC players will need to download the client through Origin, but the EA service has apparently been crippled by demand: the store is having difficulty loading, and we’re finding it impossible to download the client.

EA has confirmed the test is live globally and has handed out tips for success on Métro.

A closed version of the beta has been running since Tuesday for those that pre-ordered the PC version through Origin or bought into a Medal of Honor promotion last year.

What to expect? You’ll get one map, Paris Métro, and one game mode in Rush. DICE also put the much-wanted Caspian Border level live in the closed PC beta last night, but access was extremely limited: don’t bank on getting a proper look-in on this before the full-game ships.

We’ve been following the beta all week. On Tuesday, Johnny put up some first impressions of Métro alongside some initial defending footage and screens, and we followed that yesterday with a more in-depth look at attacking and defending play.

Here’s some new footage of attacking play for you, a longer version of the edits we put live yesterday.

And here are all the other movies we’ve shot so far.

Battlefield 3 launches on October 25 in the US and October 28 in the UK for PS3, 360 and PC.

1. Yoshi

Anyone know what time it will become available?

2. Tech-N9ne

Downloading for the 360 right now……. Gonna be a long day. :)

3. Patrick Garratt

Just tried downloading the 360 version and it asked me to pay 4.3 billion Microsoft points.

4. Hell-Raiser-85

Its live on EU PSN store. Downloading now its 1173mb.

5. Patrick Garratt

It’s live on 360 now.

6. Yoshi

According to this, still gotta wait for PC :/

7. Fin

Left my Xbox on at home so I could queue it up, but it doesn’t seem to be on the marketplace. Hrrmmm!

8. GrimRita

Yeah PC players have to wait. EA cant blame Steam or anyone else on this!

9. Patrick Garratt

Microsoft’s just said the 360 beta won’t go live until this afternoon. It may not be playable when you get it down.

10. Fin

Heh, I’ve just noticed the 4.3 billion. 2^32!
    Luv binary.

11. bakum4tsu

In 360, the beta is in the demo section. Just Look for B and it’s there. I’m getting it right now.

12. KAP

Yea its live on PSN, you’ll have to search for it though, damn SCEE

13. Patrick Garratt

Just played a round on 360. It’s open.

14. YoungZer0

You’re running too much. It opens you to attacks and takes up too much time to get your ready. Also, you never seem to look back.

15. Patrick Garratt

I’ll stop running. From what I can see, it’s largely about “hiding”.

16. Patrick Garratt

I reckon there’s going to be a lot of people playing the 360 version later on. My GT’s patlike, if anyone fancies shooting me in the face. Matt from GamesIndustry’s going to get involved from about 8-ish pm UK time.

17. Fin

I might hit you up for that – Matt M or Matt H?

18. kool_g_rap

Yo, this is Matt from GI.biz. My gamertag’s “mm spitz” if you want to fly a plane into my cock, or whatever.

19. viralshag

A chance to game with Pat? That’ll be good, good for getting a leg up on my K/D ration anyway. ;)

20. Patrick Garratt

Matt from GI, ladies and gents. *applause*

I up for all the shooting later. Add me up.

21. GrimRita

Beta for PC gamers is now *finally* on Origin to download

22. Patrick Garratt

Where is it? Do you search for it?

23. GrimRita

Yeah its on the free games section.

24. Patrick Garratt

Found it. Can’t download it, though. Looks as though it’s properly slammed.

25. GrimRita

LOL probably. Its only just gone live (1pm GMT). So everyone will be after it. Im getting just over 1.2 meg a second which isnt bad for talktalk broadband lol

26. Ireland Michael

Downloaded mine about an hour ago, worked fine. Had in it about 15 minutes.

Game’s already live and running.

27. Patrick Garratt

Looks as though Origin’s having a bit of a fanny. Can’t even get it to load the store now.

28. thesamy

i cant load the store too origin is the only way to download the beta?

29. GrimRita

Probably due to traffic and yes, its the only place to get it from. Consumer 0-4 Shafted by Origin

30. Maximum Payne

Yea that is because origin have 4-5 visitors for day and now well its 4-5 thousand in hour :P

31. viralshag

I’m just going to weigh in with my usual naysayer commentary, it’s not unuasual for STEAM to tell me a game is “currently unavailable for download at this time” with certain big releases. It’s happened a few time.

So there. :P

32. El_MUERkO

Can anyone who manages to load the origin store please C&P a download link?

33. Maximum Payne

@32 haha when I start origin it says:Servers are down you are going to be in offline mode :D

34. El_MUERkO

Used a VPN to connect to the US, EA Store works fine, I guess they have different download servers for different geographical regions and don’t load balance.

35. Patrick Garratt

Added in a bit about Origin “struggling”.

36. GrimRita

The Metro maps arent popular at all but the Caspian ones are all full. SOme of the issues that were in Alpha are still here and the controls are still a pain in the fucking arse.

The browser system is still crap as well. Search isnt working properly and you cant join games when the map is changing, which can take as long as as downloading the beta can.

37. Patrick Garratt

38. Len

Played Caspian Border loads yesterday, ’tis incredible and was actually relatively easy to get on regularly.

Proper bf and quite overwhelmingly (in a good sense). What a game… :)

39. CyberMarco

Finally I’m downloading it NOW! XD

40. ManuOtaku

Guys would you tell me how long did it take you downloading this beta?, right now iam doing it and already has pass half and hour and only show a 2%, at this rate it will take the entire day T_T

41. GrimRita

It took me around 40 minutes. But bare in mind that the demand has increased now. Cant believe with a month to go, its still shabby. And I hate how you cant change the options unless you’re deployed IN battle.

Nice work DICE

42. Fin

Yeah, it’s fairly ridiculous not being able to change loadouts and such from a menu (though maybe that’ll be the greyed-out “My Soldier” on the main menu?).
    The auto-join of new games does my head in too. I need to start a new game so I can quit? Fuck off.

43. GrimRita

No thought has gone into the design of this in terms of menus and how you access them. A truely DREADFUL experience. Everytime you leave a game, you have to quit. Then it opens a new Battlelog when you want to start up again, because you have to

Why on earth its too difficult for them to allow us to open an option menu without the need to be DEPLOYED and taking fire is beyond me. But the muppets at Eurogamer will probably give this a 10/10 and I wonder why….

44. Ireland Michael

@43 You don’t have to play it.

I am surprised that they still don’t allow you to quit out unless you’re in a match though. There’s one design choice I’ve never understood.

45. G1GAHURTZ

I’m downloading this on PS3.

Right now.

It’s taking ages.

Based on almost all of the feedback so far (apart from Pat’s swooning over a falling tree), I’m not expecting much…

46. GrimRita

@44 what you mean is – I dont have to BUY it and I wont be. If this is the future of EA gaming with this browser based functionality, they can stick it where the sun dont shine because right now, its a mess.

47. Fin

Woah woah woah, did you just complain about someone complaining?

Pot, kettle, black, etc.

48. GrimRita

Spawning and lens flare is another issue. My god. What are DICE trying to do? If someone spawns on you, it can push you out into the line of fire if you are behind something and I had no idea that the sun shines in ALL directions so recons lens glare in the sunlight..please! LOL

49. Virginityrocks

People said the same thing about Steam…you know… Now look… Everyone loves it.

50. HeavyD-Love

So far a bit underwhelmed by the 360 version. Almost wanna say Crysis 2 looked and played better…..but i know it’s just a beta..

Downloading PC version now. Waiting for PSN to come back up, i’m assuming it’ll be live at that point.

(day off work today……playing Gears 3, RE4, and B3 beta :))

51. viralshag

@47, Someone is trying to steal your title as best complainer about complaints :P

Only messing. :)

52. Fin

53. Ireland Michael

Anyone spotted any bullet proof leaves in any of these maps yet?

I figured it’s an important thing to look out. It could ruin the whole game!

54. GrimRita

@51 excuse me. that will be my award this year so Fin, please keep your thoughts to just two posts a week :-p

No bullet proof leaves for a change but still some issues surrounding the rocks. Despite my boots looking like a size 7, they must have an invisible 5 inches or so because trying to get close to some rocks is still impossible.

For a game that has a month until release, shall we place our bets on the size of the first day patch? I’m going to start by saying 1.5Gb

55. Shonak

Beta is disappointing on a technical level, but gameplay is kinda nice – although far from perfect. Well, whatsoever. Pre-Order cancelled, I guess I wait a couple of months before I buy it. EA/DICE didn’t do themselves a favor with this beta, that’s for sure, a true bugmonster that BF3.

56. manamana

So far, so good. I find it a little fast paced, though. And definitely a lot of lonewolfs out there, got to play it with friends. A little bit underwhelmed about animations and textures of players, I must admit but its still beta.
    Going prone is great and they changed the charge settings/defusing to the better imo.

57. manamana

Oh and I definitely hit multiple guys with 870 in the face, got killed and health on them: 100% ….

58. manamana

@54 well then: don’t buy it?

59. GrimRita

@58 I am not.

60. viralshag

@59, I bet you do.

61. Uncontested

Doesn’t feel like Battlefield 3, Feels like Battlefield: Bad Company 2.5

62. DarkElfa

Wow, it’s becoming hackville on day one in there.

63. HauntaVirus