Gears 3 moves 3 million first week, franchise hits $1B sales

Thursday, 29th September 2011 14:03 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Microsoft has announced that Gears of War 3 has sold 3 million units during its first week on the market.

Announced by Major Nelson on his blog, the figure “cements Gears 3 as the biggest game of 2011,” and has helped push the franchise beyond $1 billion in lifetime sales, making it the first Xbox 360 exclusive franchise to eclipse the billion dollar milestone.

“In just one week, Gears 3 has already grossed more than any 2011 video game to date,” wrote Major Nelson.

“Gears of War was the first killer app for Xbox 360, and the series has continued to contribute directly to the overall success of the platform ever since,” said Microsoft CVP Phil Spencer. “Gears of War 3 kicked off the biggest Christmas period in Xbox history, setting the standard for the kind of amazing, action-packed experiences gamers should expect on Xbox 360 this year.”

The game’s debut topped the UK charts, making it the seventh biggest launch on 360 to date. It was also the 12th largest individual format launch for the region, and figures in the UK have it close to selling as many copies at launch as Gears of War 1 and 2 combined during the same periods.

Gears 3 was released worldwide on September 20, with more than 22,000 midnight madness launch events held for it.

1. Razor

“cements Gears 3 as the biggest game of 2011″

Why, why say this? He knows it’s not going to be true, even if it’s true at this moment in time.

2. Erthazus

3 million? Thats insane.

good luck Sony to achieve this at least with Uncharted 3.

3. Razor

Uncharted 3 will be lucky to do 2 million in its first week.

4. Maximum Payne

@1 Well SO FAR!
    But when BF3,MW3 and Skyrim comes out then will talk :D

5. Erthazus

@3, it will be lucky to do 400K in it’s first week.

Look at Resistance 3… Crappy game, but barely moves around… 100K-200K

6. Eric Draven

RROD fans gloat and beat their dicks over sales because they have no other exclusives to play. LULZ

7. Fin

herp derp derp herp derp?

8. MFBB

#6 But it is kinda right.

Sony has the most and best exclusive games for us so called core gamers.

Nintendo coming in second with also great and many exclusive, but most of them are more childish/family like.

Never understood why Microsoft dosnt buy more studios or makes contracts with 3rd party studios do develop more great xbox games.

They have by far the most money of those big 3 companies.
    Gates alone as a private investor could produce 5 exclusives every year and his wallet wouldnt even care.

PC sadly coming in last with almost no exclusives at all.

Luckily I have a PC and console, I will always be fine :)

9. Tech-N9ne

Gears is AWESOME!

I dunno, there’s something about PS3 exclusive apart from Uncharted that just does not interest me AT ALL. I only own Uncharted 1, 2 and would definitely be buying Uncharted 3 for my PS3.
    But Killzone 1,2 meh, Resistance 3 MEH. Well I guess I might try them again next summer if its as boring a this one on the game front.

10. DaMan

#8 There isn’t a single Sony exclusive I want to play, and I’ve been a harcore addi- gamer since roughly 1990 therefore they have the worst out of the three.

dycwidt?

11. PEYJ

Great sales for GEOW! Those are of course shipped to retailers but when the last copy has been sold it will probably have past the 6 Mio mark.

As for those projected numbers on RE3 they are naturally out of proportion. In the UK alone it was number 4 the first week and number 3 the second week, and that was on the all chart list.

This makes it unlikely to have sold only 100-200 k. Combine this with the figures for NA and Japan and the 500 000 mark has probably been passed. In lifetime sales it will surely pass the 2 mio mark and that is what PS exlusives sell at normally: 2-4 mio in lifetime sales.

In other words: both Sony and Microsoft are doing fine.

Stop trusting vgchartz’s PAL sales: they have no idea what the figures for Europe, North Africa and the Middle East are.

12. Lahanas

Well deserved. GOTY so far.

13. RRODboxnogames

#10″There isn’t a single Sony exclusive I want to play” Are you honestly saying you would rather play a dull brown game with a cheesy story then play 12 unique colorful games that come out this year for ps3?

yeah ok have fun rolling around whilst spamming rockets over and over again
    i bet you like them big muscles fagget.

this game generally doesnt deserve the sales, but thats kids for you they love bloody dull games.

14. Erthazus

“There isn’t a single Sony exclusive I want to play, and I’ve been a harcore addi- gamer since roughly 1990 therefore they have the worst out of the three.”

so much irony here. Said a guy who is an Apple and Halo Fanboy. Dear mother nature what have you created :D

15. Fin

Man, have you seen the rainbows in Killzone 3 and Resistance? I had to wear sunglasses they were so bright.
    Also, no rockets in Gears.

Fuck off an troll somewhere else.

Also, EVERYONE STFU ABOUT CONSOLES.

16. OrbitMonkey

If it hadn’t been for Epic showing MS how Gears ran with 512 RAM, the 360 would have shipped with 256 RAM… Another reason for it to be so highly regarded :)

17. DaMan

Erthazus, you’re such a moron.

Not only my point was that it depends on taste, but you silly lonely piece of shit couldn’t even look up ‘cwydt’. Dumbass, people here are making you a favour talking with you. At least then you can poorly paraphrase their statements, commie bastard. You know it’s true, you sad anime version of Ellochka Ludoedka.

I ‘m starting to understand many of the issues with you now, you merely can’t understand most of the things people say.

I’m no Halo fanboy, and I never kept on saying how it’s the best thing ever made, I even clearly stated that there’s no such thing as the best game or fps. Now on the other hand, you, stupid bolshevik waste of sperm, kept on going with your retarded farcical hate for years. I once linked to a Kotaku article where you started your idiotic whining without being able to spell ‘Bungie’ properly.

I’m no fanboy of Apple either, every single thing I state is throughly researched and validated, contrary to say, your made up bullshit.

You’re a retard and a twat, who keeps on trying to trick people who ‘re even more ignorant into thinking you know anything.

Go back to your Narva, err I mean Riga shithole, sin polka. You’re a moron who fails at speech, taste, and understanding of every single subject being discussed on the internet. Well, at least you have someone to talk to, twat.

Oh, and regarding Phony:

Look up the word ‘trony’. lmao.

18. RRODboxnogames

#15 See thats the thing you only named 2 of the ps3 exclusives this year killzone 3 and resistance are “duller” but little big planet, infamous uncharted… are brighter. you get so much more variety on the ps3 which is why i got pissed off when #10 says hes not interested in any ps3 exclusive but hes happy with just gears coming out this year for the 360.

19. Gekidami

lol Battle of the trolls.

20. DaMan

#18 I’m not happy with Gears, and I never stated that in any comment (you did). Imagination.

In fact, I can’t stand this piece of crap alongside it’s meatheads. And it wasn’t about just this year.

21. Gadzooks!

That’s some good sales right there. Well deserved too. Gears 3 is right up there with Halo:Reach as the best shooter ever as far as I’m concerned.

There’s so much game here and it’s amazingly polished. A new graphical benchmark on consoles and a significant step up overall from Gears 2 which was already an amazing package.

The release delay was well worth it. Easy GOTY for me.

22. Daodan

1 billion. Holy christ.

23. manamana

Horde with friends: Best thing since Gauntlet.

24. daytripper

congrats epic, well deserved

25. Henry

RROD is really a very old thing, just like YLOD.