Cage: No Heavy Rain 2 because “I’m not in this business to make money”

Wednesday, 28th September 2011 19:25 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Speaking in an interview with Develop, the Quantic Dream frontman said the studio is not in the business of making sequels, but instead, breaking ground with new ideas.

“Let me be stupid for one second; I’m not in this business to make money,” he said. “I wrote Heavy Rain because I was excited about it, because there was something to say. Yeah I could make Heavy Rain 2, but I’ve said what I’ve had to say about it. That’s the strength of Quantic Dream, to have the capacity to create new ideas, to make something that breaks ground.

“I don’t know what to say. I guess I don’t have a long-term strategy for my career. It’s certainly not to make as much money as possible though. I see myself as an author, really. I just trust my instinct. I think fans of what I do want me to do that too.

“I’m an old game creator. I’m 42 this year. There are so many old game designers who have passion when they are young and they get a bit a bit older and the passion falls away. They get a family, and suddenly they think ‘okay I need to make as much money as I can for my family – this is what matters.’ I’ve not reached that stage yet.

“I still think I’m doing something important. That may sound naïve in this industry, but I still think I’m here to be creative. I just have a company because I need that structure to develop my ideas.”

Cage also chatted a bit about how he was unhappy with the way Atari marketed Fahrenheit in the US, and felt the name change to Indigo Prophecy was “fucking stupid.”

According to him, since his games lack guns, American marketing firms foresee this as a problem with drumming up sales.

“They have this image of their market being gun-loving red-necks,” he said. “It’s completely wrong.”

1. KAP

How heroic.

2. Yoshi

Ohhh wait…

3. someguy2

“Quantic Dream CEO Guillaume de Fondaumiere has said that the French developer has lost upwards of €10 million in second hand sales from Heavy Rain.”

“David Cage has said he has no intention of making a Heavy Rain 2, as he is not in the videogame business to “make money.””

Two different people.

4. Eregol

If they can keep Quantic Dream running with original ip then all credit to him.
    But with that attitude I don’t give it long til things hit the buffers and they either go under or have to resort to the sequelitis plague.

5. The_Red

If they ever get to make a sequel, I really REALLY hope it’s Omikron 2 or even a proper remake of the original.

6. K-V-C

heavy rain was brilliant but the story was a bit flawed like Ethan killing someone and getting away like it never happened lol !!!!!! but it was a brill story overall !!!!!

7. Erthazus

42 years old and he says he is old?

Come on. 42 years is not an old designer.

8. MFBB

At least one company not doing the stupid sequel sequel sequel thing.

I hope they stay successfull with new games and trying out new ideas.

9. minxamo

BULL

SHIT

10. daytripper

dont like the man – arrogant and delusional. piss poor writer as it happens aswell.

11. Artheval_Pe

Cut him some slack, he is french and wrote the story in English. Try to write an entire novel in french without outside help, and we’ll see how you do. He should have hired someone to fix the dialog, though. That’s where the arrogant part comes into play.

12. NightCrawler1970

I guess i have to sell my PS3 because im 41 year old gamer, time to retire.. :P(NOT)…. i game till i drop :P