Battlefield 3 beta – Attack vs Defense in HD video with VO

Wednesday, 28th September 2011 11:56 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Following on from our first take on the now-live Battlefield 3 beta yesterday, Patrick Garratt reports on attacking and defending gameplay before the test goes fully open tomorrow.

The Battlefield 3 beta is raging, having launched yesterday for those that pre-ordered on Origina or bought Medal of Honor last year before going completely open tomorrow.

There’s one map available, a staged effort called Paris Métro. The only mode you can play is Rush. The rules are simple: there are two teams built of American attackers and Russian defenders. How the game plays out for each side is very different, as shown in the videos below.

Defending

Successful defense on Métro can be achieved in a variety of ways. Battlefield 3, as you’ll immediately discover, is not Black Ops; if you attempt to play it in the same way, you’ll be very dead a lot of the time. Defending is all about finding suitable positions and soaking up the American attack. It’s the attacking job to lay charges on two M-Com stations and you need to get onto the point and diffuse any successfully laid explosive in time. Sniping and opportunism are essential aspects to defense in this game, and, as you’ll see below, it’s possible to exploit the notion that a prone position is “safe,” especially if you’re using an assault load-out.

To win the level as the defenders, you need to hold off the attack and kill the advancing forces enough to completely deplete them of reinforcement tokens. Take a look at the video. Watch at 720p. There’s voiceover on there, too.

Attacking

Attacking as the Americans is more aggressive than defending, fairly obviously. The tactics here are more familiar if you’re used to Call of Duty; you push forward as a team, lay-down fire on the enemy and protect your bomb guy when he does his bomb stuff. This normally translates to “kill everyone,” but a more considered approach is required if you’re going to keep the defenders from securing the M-Com sites. Again, position and sniping play a role, but you will be rewarded with aggression, moreso than the defending side.

As you’ll see in the video, you naturally group to complete objectives as the attacking force, while I found defense is a more solitary affair. Take a look.

Battlefield 3 launches on October 25 in the US and October 28 in the UK for PS3, 360 and PC.

1. tenthousandgothsonacid

Yay ! Pat killed some people. Seriously though, you’re better than most of us already if I’m honest :)

Looks sweet on the ps3. I can put up with some tearing when shit like that is going on…

2. GrimRita

On this map, you will probably find a few folk prone within the bushes on the early stage whose arm will extend and knife your legs to kill you.

Despite its flaws, the sound is superb

3. Patrick Garratt

:-D

There are some really good people on there with lots of stars and stripes and stuff. I want a bipod.

The key bit for me was when that tree fell down. It’s just awesome. Can’t wait to play more.

4. Moonwalker1982

I really just don’t get it why no sites are showing the Xbox 360 version at all, i’ve seen several videos on Youtube now and it looks practically identical to the PS3 version. There were stories last week from some folks who claimed the Xbox 360 version looked alot worse than PS3…not to mention compared to the PC, but that is nonsense.

5. viralshag

@2, That reminds me, I’m still not sure how I feel about prone being introduced to the game. While it obviously adds realism, it also adds a layer of fucking annoyance with the amount of foliage all over the place.

6. GrimRita

In the Metro station, were you not impressed by the sound of gun fire? Hell, even firing in a corridor has a different sound. I guess because of BC2 on my PC ive become immune to being impressed when trees get blown away but I still chuckle when I bring a building down with people in it (even my own! LOL)

7. Patrick Garratt

@4 – In all honesty, I’m playing the PS3 version because that’s what I had hooked up to my grabbing card when EA sent the codes out. We got 360 and PS3 codes.

8. viralshag

@Grim, Tbh, for me top notch sound is expected with BF. They continually impress me. But yeah, you’re right. The game does sound superb.

I also love the last section of the map. Seeing the front of the building blow out and collapse is insane. I also love going up to the first set of windows waiting for people to leave the station.

9. Gizkata

I did 3 videos last night from the X360 version, it seems to run solid and look good.

Only problem I’ve come across is a little screen tearing and texture pop ups in certain areas.

The sound is really impressive in the tunnels when using an RPG or explosives.

I think they need to find a way to solve the problem of identifying enemies to foes. Many times myself I would walk in a room thinking the guy was on my team when he wasn’t.

I know you have the HUD map to see friends locations but when in the heat of the moment you don’t tend to look at it.

10. deathgaze

I was thoroughly disappointed with this beta. This game is not ready for release. Which is odd, because DICE claims that it is.

Yep, kiddies, this “beta” isn’t really a beta. It’s “kids get to play at daddy’s table early”. The “beta” part clearly refers to the distribution channels used to get the game to the customer and operate the game. QED Origin and BattleLog.

How do I know this? The beta feedback forums are an unmitigated disaster. There are no moderators. There is no organized feedback system, no bug reporting mechanism and no ability to search. That’s right, forum search is disabled in the beta. Not only that, Facebook, XBL and PSN friend support is not in the beta either.

So what exactly are we testing? Origin, primarily, but also to make sure that BattleLog works as it’s supposed to – which it appears to, but without the ability to test social networking, it’s an incomplete test, to be sure. BattleLog is different, but great. The interface works well, for the most part, and the installation was painless. However, it introduces other problems.

For starters,

There’s also no ability to adjust video settings without entering the game. So, us common folk without a password for the press server are forced to duke it out with tens of thousands of players competing for roughly one thousand server slots. Then, when we finally get into a server, we hit the universal prone button in some nearby bushes and sit there and fiddle with video settings in a vain attempt to achieve a playable framerate.

I have two Radeon HD 4850s CrossFired together and this rig has performed admirably in all current games. I can’t use anti-aliasing in most games (I’m a smidgen short of the necessary memory), but as long as I don’t, I get around 60 frames per second at 1080p most of the time. Not in Battlefield 3. Battlefield 3 doesn’t seem to know that I have CrossFire and also seems reluctant to turn down it’s visual effects. After turning everything down to the “Low” settings, it became clear the the game was still adding some kind of post processing filter that dragged the game down to a crawl.

The game itself is a buggy, alpha quality mess. This in and of itself is no surprise as this is par for the course for new Battlefield games. I’ve participated in a LOT of various betas (around 20) and in every single one, not a single game changed significantly for the better before release. And so, we the players are placed on yet another treadmill – we paid a premium to get the game when it comes out and we’ll be forced to wait roughly 6 months to a year for DICE to fix technical issues and bugs that should have been fixed before the game even entered beta. By then, I’d have been able to pick it up for 30 bucks and be no worse for the wear.

11. G1GAHURTZ

^^ Ouch!

12. G1GAHURTZ

@ Pat:

Four minutes without dying? l337 stuff!

Your aim is improving!

(y)

Watching you play FPS’s always brightens up my day…

13. Lounds

@PAT

LOL at 3.00min on attacking video, you run round corner and go “OH SHIT”.

14. G1GAHURTZ

The textures in those screenshots are awful.

15. Patrick Garratt

@13 – I wasn’t going to get out of that, was I? :)

@12 – Good! I aim to please.

16. deathgaze

So, Pat, how about that Diablo 3 beta footage? ;)

17. Se_7_eN

@10 – As dev. I would have to say you are wrong… This build is AT LEAST 15 builds old from what will be released. Bugs can be fixed in less than a half hour, depending on the severity of them. I have seen nothing in this beta that would point to more than a 2 hour fix at most… The PC alpha I played months ago draws me to the same conclusion. YOU ARE PLAYING A BETA BUILD. This is in no way, even close to what you will experience with the final product. Also, the 4850′s are very outdated…

@G1GAHURTZ – Take the BF3 trolling elsewhere please…

18. Patrick Garratt

I tell you what. I just played three rounds and it didn’t get passed the park section on any of them. It’s really tough if you’re attacking because the objectives are in the open. As soon as you get anywhere near the stations you get battered by snipers.

19. M. K.

@17: How is it trolling? Do you think it looks any good?

20. deathgaze

@17: Regarding my video cards, they may be old, but they still perform in the same performance class as the recommended system requirements. Regardless of how old you think my cards are, they meet the recommended system specs.

Dev or not, you obviously have yet to play a DICE game, rendering most of your points moot. BFBC2 is finally in good shape after about a year of work. Even then, there were problems with the game that recently took me hours to resolve and some that I just continue to tolerate. This is not an isolated pattern with DICE. It has existed in every single Battlefield game that they ever came out with. From 1942 and 2 to current. These games are always non-functional out-of-the-box. Do you know how I know this? I’ve owned every single one of them when they came out.

To put things in perspective: It took them over 12 months to fix the *auto login* feature in the menu system on BFBC2. And you’ll sit here and tell me that this isn’t representative of the final game?

I’m not saying that what we’re seeing is exactly what will ship. I’m saying that what we’re seeing is pretty damn close. At the end of the day, DICE will ship a beta…

Exactly like they always do.

21. Len

Drop some health to help yrslf Pat!

22. Se_7_eN

@20 – I have played every Battlefield since 1942, the worst release they have done is BC2, but as stated by them many times, this isn’t the same game as Bad Company was.
    This is a legitimate sequel to Battlefield 2, and will be treated like one. It has been in the making for years, even while BC2 was being made. Expect quality is all I am saying, they wouldn’t screw up the biggest Battlefield launch, possibly EA launch in history with small no brainer issues.

23. SplatteredHouse

nice, thanks for including footage you recorded with the report. :) It was really nice to have that, with your commentary to accompany the text.

24. viralshag

I take back what I said about Metro being balanced. Most games are turning in to a kill fest by spawn campers lol. Pissing me off.