Ninja Gaiden 3 adds an element of remorse

Friday, 23rd September 2011 09:21 GMT By Jessica Citizen

Ninja Gaiden 3 will let you transform into a fire dragon, able to kill everybody in the room and absorb their life energies. And while it’ll dispatch everybody double-quick, you may start second-guessing your attack.

Siliconera got their hands on the game in London, a copy of the Tokyo Game Show build previously being displayed in Japan. Ryu apparently had no problems dismembering machinegun-carrying soldiers, right up until one crucial moment.

A quick-time event is triggered just in time for the crucial, finishing move, as the enemy drops his guard, cowers in a corner and pleads “don’t kill me!”.

These unarmed adversaries can be either slaughtered or left alone – and if you’re the callous type who enjoys killing defenseless characters, they won’t even fight back (but you’ll have to catch them – they do have a tendency to crawl away).

So – therein lies the problem. The game does not differentiate between enemies who are actively trying to kill you, and those who are crying in the foetal position over to the side, there. In normal combat, not such a drama. Turning into a giant flaming dragon however, will indiscriminately exterminate everybody in the room.

The choice is yours – and that’s just how Yosuke Hayashi likes it.

1. YoungZer0

Turning into a Dragon sounds fucking stupid. :/

2. call_of_fruity

As a fan of the series, I’m not sure if I like this new direction. In the past ninja gaidens, the moral questions were easily settled for me:
    The enemies attacked relentlessly, and I did the same to them – no inner conflict here. I don’t really want to swap the fast, vicious fighting for “moral choices” – Ninja Gaiden is definetly not the series for that.
    I hope they get it right at least gameplay – wise.

3. Johnny Cullen

I’m going to be talking to Tecmo Koei later on on NG3, so if you have any questions, go nuts.

4. Gekidami

^ How does Move support work in the game?

5. viralshag

@4,

Hopefully with a lot of terrible want-to-be-ninja-but-fail arm flailing.

6. SplatteredHouse

Lame. Ryu’s begun channeling shades of Liu?! D:

There’s already the extreme attack of Ryu absorbing energy for the ninpo strike. At first, Itagaki’s idea there may seem ott, but when you see the flurry in action it is impressive to witness, you mostly have to time usage, so there’s a risk/reward/skill element – not some idea that you turn in to a dragon and it’s the equivalent of a screen-clearance technique…

This rubbish may even be a deal-breaker for me. Right now, I just don’t see that being any good.

7. NeoSquall

Jessica, you have linked your own article instead of Siliconera…

8. Clupula

This is stupid. Plain and simple. Whoever you’re fighting should be trained better than to just drop their weapons and beg for their lives. Are you fighting the world’s shittiest army?

As someone who got into the series from the Sigma games, I was not one of those people saying that the series was going to suck because Itagaki’s gone, BUT this…this is lame.

First, why am I supposed to feel bad for people who were just trying to kill me a second ago?

Second, as I said above, what kinda undisciplined amateurs am I fighting if they don’t hold their ground in the face of adversary? I seriously doubt Ryu is killing unarmed people at a shopping mall. Then I could imagine the begging being appropriate. If they are trained killers, then they are probably aware that their job could result in their own deaths too.

9. neon6