Ninja Theory shelves plans for an Enslaved sequel

Thursday, 22nd September 2011 19:50 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

It looks as though plans for a sequel to Enslaved: Odyssey to the West are no longer in the cards, according to Ninja Theory’s Tameem Antoniades.

Speaking in an interview with Edge (via CVG), Antoniades due to the first game underperforming and the firm’s plans to expand into a two-team studio faltering, it’s not going to happen.

“Enslaved should have done better,” he said. “Right now, we should have been doing a sequel and perfecting that sequel and doing what franchises do, which is get better over time.

“[But] because that didn’t happen, we’ve not expanded to two teams like we intended to. So we’ve remained a smaller shop. But now we get another chance with DMC.”

As of spring 2011, Enslaved has moved 730,000 units. It was released last year to rather nice reviews.

The firm’s reboot of the Devil May Cry series releases next year on PS3 and Xbox 360.

1. Tallon 4

That’s quite sad. I really enjoyed the game and thought it looked fantastic on the xbox360. I can understand though, wasn’t a great commercial succes.

2. Erthazus

“But now we get another chance with DMC”

Good luck guys. Good luck. LOL

3. NeoSquall

Bad move.
    A somewhat promising franchise killing by getting released few weeks before the annual Call of Duty game.

4. FeaturePreacher

I guess they were too busy trying to drive DMC into the ground.

5. markheg5980

Damn that really sucks! Definitely a very underrated game….along with Heavenly Sword!

6. K-V-C

it was a good game !!! but yea i agree with @3 no game would stand a chance with call of duty or grand theft auto being released with it

7. YoungZer0

Maybe go back to it once DmC is done?

I’m not really concerned about this. I think Enslaveds ending was satisfying and came full circle, so no real need for a sequel.

You could do it, no problem, but there is really no pressure. Take your time, NT.

8. themadjock

It was a brilliant game, so sad that underrated games don’t get the chance to flourish due to overrated churnout sequels like CoD

9. Ge0force

This news makes me sad. I truly loved Enslaved :’(

10. Lounds

If they could recreate the First DMC game, I would be a very happy person.

11. burrsalem

That’s really too bad. Enslaved was good and really unique from a narrative standpoint. Can’t say I really care about DMC, but I look forward to seeing what they do in the future.

12. silkvg247

These guys are experts at making a game draw you in with excellent characters and storytelling.

It makes me wonder why they don’t focus on their strong points and make a console RPG. It would be superb. That’s not to say they are shoddy at making action/adventure games, it’s more a case of it’s a saturated market, whereas the RPG market not so much – there’s a gap there for the market (i.e. people who were sorely dissapointed with FFXIII) that needs to be filled.

A heavenly sword RPG would be my wet dream.

13. YoungZer0

@13: Probably because they don’t have enough manpower and/or experience with RPG’s. You can’t just decide to make a RPG when you have no clue how to pull it off.

I’d rather see an RPG set in the cyberpunk world of Hard Reset. Kind of like in the style of DX.

14. silkvg247

@13 Did they have action/adventure experience before making heavenly Sword? I’m not trying to be clever, honestly don’t know if it was their first ever game.

IMO a good RPG is 90% storyline and characters, and that’s where these guys shine. That’s all I’m sayin’.

15. YoungZer0

@14: You’re forgetting gameplay. RPG’s need solid gameplay, where leveling up makes sense and is fun all that.