Mass Effect movie will be all about (male) Shepard

Wednesday, 21st September 2011 03:26 GMT By Jessica Citizen

In completely unsurprising news, Legendary Pictures has confirmed that yes, the Mass Effect movie will be all about Commander Shepard. It’s also (unfortunately) confirmed that the character in the starring role will be John, and not our beloved FemShep. That aside, it’s still good to have some news about the film adaptation, right?

Mass Effect - Commander Shepard

This all came about at this year’s Comic-Con. We knew the game tie-in would be in appearance at the con, but hadn’t heard much out of the appearance.

At the same time as BioWare’s Casey Hudson and scriptwriter Mark Protosevich took to the San Diego stage, gamers around the world started bombarding them – and Legendary Pictures – with questions via Twitter. Now, a little while later than anticipated, Legendary has posted a Q&A which includes a few highlights from the day.

…unfortunately, when we say “highlights”, we really mean “a bunch of negative replies”, but – again – it’s still good to hear something, isn’t it? (Yeah, that line’s getting old, sorry.)

The full Q&A is over on the Legendary Pictures blog (thanks to GameFront for the link), but we’ve summarised the good bits for you.

Seth Green will not play Joker, and there are no hints available at present for potential casting. The film adaptation will be a completely new story, not an adaptation of the first or second games (we’re assuming it’s not an adaptation of the third, either, nitpickers).

The studio also touches briefly on the idea of whether or not this may evolve into a trilogy (translated answer: Way too early to say), and observes that Legendary Pictures “love” Daft Punk.

Make of that what you will.

1. alterecho

They shouldn’t have let this film adaptation in the first place IMO. Every player might have customized their characters and would associate memories of mass effect with that character. The film might ruin that world. It would for me, atleast.
    This and games like KOTR, Dragon Age, etc. Games like Halo are acceptable though.

2. Clupula

Won’t be watching it. That’s not my character. It’s non-canon to me.

3. wishdokta

So you can’t choose male or female before watching.

4. Yoshi

OMG SEXIST TRLOLOLOL
    :P

5. Edo

Get a decent director such as Neil Blomkamp or Duncan Jones….wait,scratch that,anyone but Uwe freaki’n Boll!!

6. Fin

Jesus christ, why are people so attached to their in-game character. Fucking hell, it’s a movie about a game. Do you realise you won’t actually be controlling the character while you’re watching the movie?
    If it’ll ruin your memories of the game (please excuse me while I laugh in your face), don’t go see it.

7. OrbitMonkey

So it’ll not be based on the 3 games in anyway? So presumably its set AFTER Shepard saves the Earth and defeats the Reapers? How do you top that? “Shepard: The Retirement”?

8. YoungZer0

@6: Well said.

9. Yoshi

@6 That’s only a good point when you under think it. It’s like your mother is a prostitute at night but you don’t approve, she’s still your mother and does all the motherly things in the day but in the night she fucks people… would you be pleased with her career choice? I seriously doubt it. Mass Effect movie is like Shephard fucking people at night. (lol)

10. YoungZer0

@9: I guess that is what people call “Brainfart”.

11. Fin

If you’re comparing a videogame character that doesn’t exist to your mother, you might need to take a break from games, go out and enjoy the world.

12. Clupula

@9 Are you speaking from personal experience?

13. joshua nash

okay let me start by saying that what Jessica Citizen said really pisses me off, cause i fucking hate ME fans who bad mouth male-shep or make feel as if thy are bad mouthing male-shep, i like playing as male-shep, put every time some fan spouts “our beloved femshep” it really fucking pisses me off, it makes me feel like my choice in what gender i chose to have my shep is some how wrong, it also makes me think that all femshep fans are fucking snobs, which i know they are not, would like for people to just stop with the fanatical almost cultish worship of femshep, it really big put off feeling like male-shep isn’t respected

anyway rant aside i have hated the idea of a movie based on the games being made strictly cause the fans have their own cannons and this movie will make everyone who has played the games mad

14. OrbitMonkey

I’m gonna start the betting on Sam Worthington as Shepard :)

15. StolenGlory

And Jason Statham as Zaeed :D

16. YoungZer0

@14: He definitely looks the part and Hollywood has proven time and time again how uncreative they usually are when it comes to casting.

17. Aimless

Having the story be about either gendered Shepard seems really uninspired. They quite literally have an entire universe to play with, and yet they gravitate towards the one choice that will end up contradicting people’s experiences with the games?

18. Fin

Oh noes, something will happen in the movie that isn’t in the game??? Shit, cancel the project right now!

God ye’ll complain about anything won’t ye.

Also, I would pay good money to see Jason Statham as Shepard. Some man for one man.

19. YoungZer0

@18: Jason Statham? Are you serious?

20. StolenGlory

I think a shaven headed Ryan Gosling could make a decent Shepard too actually.

21. OrbitMonkey

A blued up Scarlett Johanson for Liana
    Michelle Rodriguez for Ashley
    Hugo Weaving for Garrus
    Ron Perlman for Wrex

I’ll let someone else finish this off :)

22. StolenGlory

Good start!

Hugo Weaving could actually be Saren just as easily too :)

EDIT: Except I realised that they would be going with an original story =/ Bah.

23. Yoshi

I’d say it was a fair comparison, fans love Shepard, sons/daughters love their mothers :)

24. fearmonkey

@21 – Vinnie jones as Saeed (Richard Burgi maybe?)
    Elias Toufexis as Shepard
    I don’t see why Seth couldn’t be joker, it makes sense, the actor was modeled off of him.
    Michelle Boback as the matriarch or as Liana
    rosanne barr as the thorian……

25. LOLshock94

they should do the movie on how shepard lost all his team members againest giant worm thing

@21 that is a really good cast, the best ive seen i really like it but i aint to sure about Scarlett Johansson being liara.
    i reakon either Mary Elizabeth Winstead or Rachael Taylor should be liara
    i think gerard butler would be a good shepard and Olivia Wildem should be tali

26. someguy

How about Logan Marshall-Greene as Shepard? He hasn’t been in too many big movies (all that comes to mind is devil, and Prometheus). In Prometheus I thought he looked a lot like default Shepard. Plus he did a good job acting

#26 1 year ago
  27. Kabby

We’ll bang, ok?

#27 1 year ago
  28. someguy

Yea ok that’s cool but the important thing is that we all should agree that Marshall-green should be shepard

#28 1 year ago
  29. freedoms_stain

Mass Effect is essentially a massive conglomeration of elements from popular sci-fi and fantasy tv, film and literature over the last century, if they’re making a “new” story it’ll probably end up being shit.

#29 1 year ago
  30. DSB

@30 Quoted for truth.

I also think that Hollywood and videogames have some kind of subtle rivalry. A Hollywood team adapting a videogame will probably have an urge to flex their muscles and show the nerds how it’s done in their neck of the woods.

Giving them unlimited creative license will definitely make it something else entirely. The same thing happens with books and tv series. Unless you respect the source, you end up with something that’s “inspired by..” rather than “true to..”

#30 1 year ago
  31. Dragon246

Unfortunately you cant have multiple playthroughs in movies, so this was expected. But bashing this without seeing anything of it doesn’t make sense.

#31 1 year ago
  32. Clupula

It’s still fucking ridiculous that in a game that’s all about choices, they couldn’t have taken the smart route and done something in the universe, that adds to the canon, instead of doing this shit with the movie. I won’t even see this.

#32 1 year ago
  33. Phoenixblight

@all those that necroed this post

You do realize this movie has shifted multipled writer and directors multiple times.

Really I would say the movie is in some form of development hell.

#33 1 year ago
  34. Sylrissa

This movie may never even see the light of day at this rate, and I wouldn’t shed a tear either.

But I do agree with Clupula, they could of done something that added to the lore, (first contact war etc) instead of having to make a shepard movie.

#34 1 year ago
  35. someguy

Yea its funny they acted like it was a definite go, then boom. Writers start to change and I haven’t heard or seen anything since early 2012. But, if they ever did get their shirt together and made it, I think they could pull off a movie based on the game. Of course we would all have to accept that it isn’t “our Shepard”. It would be a different version, after all we all did certain things that others did different. as example, I romanced liara as a male Shepard, and kept the romance till the end, but other people might have picked Ashley, they also probably had another romance in the second game, so if the movie was ever actually created, and they chosed to go with Ashley over liara I would accept that because its the studios Shepard, not mine. My experience with my Shepard will not be dampened because someone else, or Hollywood went a different route. I think more people should be that open minded about it, however, it still better stay true to the game. We dont need any of that super Mario bros. Shit happening to mass effect

#35 1 year ago