Pachter: GTA franchise leadership won’t last forever

Tuesday, 20th September 2011 11:01 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Wedbush Morgan analyst reckons GTA’s days as king of the hill will be numbered. Eventually.

Speaking to IndustryGamers, Pachter said Rockstar’s superhit won’t be able to keep itself in such a stellar position forever.

“Call of Duty is bigger, and GTA will not maintain its position as the world’s biggest mainstream franchise,” he said.

He went on to say that Call of Duty will also likely suffer from sequelitis.

“Eventually, Call of Duty may suffer from fatigue, and GTA could keep chugging along, but it will be 8 years before we can make that call,” he added.

We’re still waiting for the announcement of GTA V, which is expected to release in late 2012.

Call of Duty’s next installment, Modern Warfare 3, will release in November. It’s the eighth CoD title.

1. Quasar

yeah yeah pachter can suck my cock

2. mehdidante

not gonna happen

3. tenthousandgothsonacid

I was going to put together a more eloquent riposte but I think Quaser sums it up perfectly :)

4. NeoSquall

Truth is, the true nemesis to GTA V is Saints Row: The Third and this one looks way better than its predecessors and GTA IV itself.

Rockstar needs to take note of this and think: shall we make a more funny, customizable experience or shall we pursue our “fixed protagonist, gritty realistic story” staple?

5. Christopher Jack

@4, I think GTA’s true solution lies somewhere in between.

6. Maximum Payne

@4 They will follow gritty realistic story and I don’t want to be over the top like Saints.

7. Christopher Jack

@6, I’d like that too, but I think that it should keep the variety that San Andreas had, I was really disappointed that I couldn’t paint flames on my cars in GTA IV.

8. Clupula

I seriously doubt Saint’s Row is any threat to GTA. It’s nothing more than a cruder clone and I think most people know that.

As for Pachter…has the man ever been right about anything?

9. Yoshi

I’m sorry but Saints Row 3 does not look better than GTA. It’s like a toy car, fun for a while but sooner or later you’re going to want a real car.

10. Christopher Jack

@8, There’s no doubt that both franchises share many similarities but to call Saints Row a cruder clone is a little, disrespectful. The original may have been a cruder clone but Volition has clearly built something of their own but it’s really a hate it or love it kinda thing, most of those who hate it are going to call it a clone or that they expected something a little more serious game- well they’re looking in the wrong area.

11. freedoms_stain

I think GTA has a wider appeal, not everyone likes corridor FPS games, but a game like GTA with all its myriad of “things” you can do is a bit more mass appeal.