Gears of War 3 out now – the first 10 minutes narrated in HD

Tuesday, 20th September 2011 10:23 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Gears of War 3 is now buyable. Just in case you’re a clinically mad person yet to decide whether or not you should make the investment, check out the first 10 minutes in HD after the break, overly-excited narration included.

It’s here. Two years after Gears of War 2, we now have the third and final part of the trilogy. It launched globally last night; take a look at it in action below.

This is the first 10 minutes of the campaign with narration. Obviously, there are giant spoilers in this video, so don’t watch unless you’re aware of the fact.

1. Demiath

I guess I’m one of those clinically mad persons, then. It is true that Gears of War is a defining franchise for this console generation, but while the first game was a breath of fresh air in the action genre for me any genuine enjoyment of the series was over roughly halfway through GoW2′s surprisingly forgettable singleplayer campaign.

This stuff has been done to death already, Epic Games; time to move on and make that Samaritan thingie into a real game for PCs and next-nextgen consoles…

2. Patrick Garratt

From what I can see, it’s just finishing the story. It’s the same game, obviously. The four-way stuff makes the levels a lot more open than they were in the second one. As I say in the video, the tech’s very much improved over last time.

I’m loving it so far. I’ll have to finish it, obviously, to answer the great “is it better than Gears 2″ question.

3. scratchy69

Is Pat’s voice part of the game? Or can you turn that off?

4. Patrick Garratt

It’s fixed. You have to listen to my voice.

5. Ireland Michael

@1 Indeed. Watching the game makes me yawn.

That’s not cause of you Pat. Just how I feel about the watching the gameplay itself.

6. Christopher Jack

I think that Gears is a great franchise & all credit goes to Epic for making this critically acclaimed series but I just couldn’t get into the original or the second, I think I’ll give this a miss, may come to it when it’s cheap.

7. YoungZer0

@5: We get it, Michael.

8. Ireland Michael

@7 I’m well aware you get it. Free speech and all that. If you don’t like my opinion, you could… I don’t know… ignore it and move on? Just a suggestion.

It never ceases to amaze me go much people on the internet react to people simply for having an opinion.

9. cgalla2000

I look forward to having day one patches with Pat’s voice included.

10. StolenGlory

Indeed, and on a related note, I wonder if the VA for Pat on the Japanese version of the game is up to the task or not :)

11. Ireland Michael

Now, Pat speaking Japanese… *that* would I pay to see.

12. cgalla2000

@10/11 Japan just isn’t ready.

13. Dralen

The tech is incredible. It has to be the best looking 360 game period. Nothing comes close quite frankly.

14. HeavyD-Love

Just finished the opening act and I’m super impressed. So far it’s fucking incredible. Graphics, story/progression, presentation……all just absolute top of the line.

Sucks i have to get ready for work now..