Analyst: Battlefield 3 hits 1.5 million pre-order milestone

Tuesday, 20th September 2011 20:44 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sterne Agee analyst Arvind Bhatia said in a industry note that pre-orders for Battlefield 3 have hit the 1.5 million mark.

Last week, during the Citi 2011 Tech Conference Electronic Arts CFO Eric Brown revealed Battlefield 3 pre-orders had hit around the 1.25 million mark, and were tracking ahead of previous Battlefield installments. Bhatia said today, the figure has hit 1.5 million.

“Management remains optimistic that the title has potential to exceed sales of its predecessor, which has sold through 9.5 million units life-to-date,” he said. “Critical ratings for BF3 should be at least 80. The combined marketing dollars for BF3 and Call of Duty: MW 3 could reach $100 million this year.

“The two week head start for BF3 versus CoD will facilitate a big launch for BF3. Once CoD launches, there would be a natural slowdown in sales of BF3. Then, at holiday, momentum for BF3 should rebuild.”

Bhatia expects the game to have a “long tail,” as DLC hits post release, noting the Back to Karkland map included with the pre-order as a big incentive.

“This $15 to $20 value should be a big incentive for customers to pre-order BF3,” he said. “The mix of BF3 should be 60 percent US and 40 percent international.”

Thanks, IndustryGamers.

1. Xuchilbara

I have yet to preorder my copy yet, definitely going to though, cant wait! Beta on the 27th for me! Wish it was a different map than the alpha though :-\

2. GrimRita

Given EA’s PR bullshit machine offering competitions, community visits, lots of advertising, they have at least secured a 9/10 because lets face it, a smaller publisher will get slated for the kind of bugs that appeared in Bad Company 2(Mount and Blade anyone?!) and there was no mention in the rewiews of BC2 about the shit hitboxes, bullet proof leaves and knife proof armour!

Apart from the diehard BF fans, Bf3 simply wont compete with CoD because when CoD is released, those that purchased BF3 will be trading it in for CoD, so I will question BF3s long term appeal

3. Yoshi

Battlefield 3 will be a game… me get paid now?

4. chriswhaaat

@2 not trying to start an argument at all, but why are you always hating on BF?

5. Xuchilbara

@ 2 – YOU, are an idiot… Nuf said.

@4 – She is a troll, that is what they do.

6. GrimRita

@5 yeah the truth hurts doesnt it?

@4 I just want BF to be better than BC2 and unlike most of the folk here who have been tossing off at the graphics, theres MORE to this than graphics. After playing alpha, the SAME bugs that plagued BC2 are still there – hopefully in beta they might have addressed them but who knows.

I am not a CoD fan, havent touched it because its a port on the PC but I speak the truth regarding sales. Look at how fast BC2 faded away. Activision have provided regular updates to their game, giving it long term appeal and if EA want to be better than them, they need to do the same and not release a half baked expansion like Vietnam.

7. chriswhaaat

@5 Yeah I’ve noticed still I’m just a little curious

Edit: @6 Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to take advantage of my invite to the alpha so I’m not aware of the issues. But I never had a problem with the hit boxes in BC2 so I’m always confused as to why people always say they were horrible. I do know that I’ve died numerous times in COD by a sniper shot that hit behind me. So it’s not just BC2 that suffers from this. Hopefully, they will fix all the issues from what I’ve read they are making an effort to fix all the concerns players had with the alpha. So we will see.

8. DSB

There’s no doubt that BF is gonna grow at this point. I’m just pissed off that I’ll have to wait until they get a proper digital retailer for it.

Also, 15-20 dollar map pack confirmed. Monkey see, monkey do.

@7 It’s pretty legendary by now. If you’re one of the few guys who hasn’t piled bullets into the invisible walls that seem to encircle many a rock and leaf in the game, or magically shot straight through a guy without hurting him, you’re either lucky, or not paying attention :P

Grimrita is absolutely right. DICE may be good at pushing the graphics, but they have serious issues when it comes to the mechanics.

9. GrimRita

@7 just go on youtube and look for yourself

In alpha, I saw a guy with half his body hanging out from a ditch, so I shot him 10 times in the head and he was STILL alive just in the tunnel of Metro.

I could say ‘it was just alpha’ but given the track record of frostshite, I dont think that the game engine can be that accurate.

10. chriswhaaat

@9 I’ve seen the videos before, but like I said I, personally, have never had any issues with hit boxes. I have had an issues with my bullets seemingly not hitting anything despite unloading a full magazine 10 feet from someone before. But I restarted the game and it was fine. That sounds like typical alpha trouble though. Did you leave any feedback?

11. GrimRita

of course I did. Beta will be using the same map, and I am not a fan of Rush mode. I was hoping that there would be a 64 player map at least for beta as well, to see if the game can take the strain.

And, I dont want to be using Origins for reasons stated before. Im going to play a REAL game…*looks for Transport Tycoon

12. chriswhaaat

Well hopefully they’ll listen and address the issue then. I was a little shocked as well at their decision to use Op Metro again for the beta.

13. OrbitMonkey

Is OpMetro a small map, designed for fast play? Makes sense if their trying to woo COD fans, its not like they have to try to impress BF fans do they?

14. GrimRita

yeah its a small map. Theres not a chance on hell it can accom 64 players. To be fair its a good map, once you get past the start – the tunnels and stairways are pretty cool. Its essentially the same map seen in almost all the early videos

15. Lewis247

I hope with battlefield 3, call of duty is finally shown up for how shit an experience it is. Battlefield 3 will walk all over mw 3. It’s the quality I want, sure call of duty is fun but the way it holds it’s place so high it’s a joke. We need real quality, call of duty went right down the shitter with 3 but 4 was an exellent game. Bad company 2 doesn’t get the credit it deserves either.

Cannot wait for this game, will be playing as much of the beta as I can.

16. OrbitMonkey

Thought so. I’m betting theirs gonna be a lot of small, close quarter maps, for players more used to a faster style of play. Call it a hunch :)

17. OrbitMonkey

@15 Don’t know how it will, seeing as the 2 offer different styles of gameplay… Unless of course DICE are so desperate to topple COD, they become COD!! *Portentous drumroll*

18. Lewis247

@17 That’s the thing, It always seemed like cod was getting so far ahead because no one was coming close with the games, ever noticed how most tried to be a ‘cod killer’ and actually tried to be like cod. Well, the answer is you got to go beyond it and that’s exactly what battlefield does… goes beyond and does the experience and gameplay 10x better than cod has to offer.

To beat cod you can’t be like it.

19. harmundo

Every CoD player hates BF3, cuz they all know, BF3 will be better, than MW3… that’s it :-).