Tokyo Game Show 2011 sees record-breaking crowds

Monday, 19th September 2011 05:03 GMT By Jessica Citizen

Games conventions are traditionally quite hot and quite crowded. Last week’s Tokyo Game Show was no exception: Opening day, September 17, was the hottest and the most crowded in the show’s history.

Official reports place more than 86,200 gamers, fans and sympathisers into the Makuhari Messe convention centre – that’s nearly two thousand more than the last record day, all the way back in 2006.

In case you were wondering, the lines were ridiculous. The hands-on Vita queue was closed within less than an hour of doors opening, and we’re still not sure if everybody got to check out everything they came for. Brenna, of course, planned her strategy well and ticked off all the items on her list, and will have her on-the-floor reports for you in the next few days.

1. Gurdil

I’ve got a question about TGS but I’m not quite sure where to post it so I’ll put it here: weren’t there supposed to be a Bayonetta reveal during TGS? Did I miss it? (Ok that’s two questions…)

2. Jessica Citizen

@1 …from what I’ve seen: Yes there was (apparently) supposed to be one, but no you didn’t miss it, mainly because it didn’t happen. Stay tuned, I guess :)

3. cry1313

hepinizi dış cephe bu siteme bekerlim :)

4. Blerk

Records crowds, but the smallest show to date from what I’ve heard on the podcasts over the weekend. People complaining that most of the big players didn’t bother to show and that 75% of it was cell-phone games.

5. Gurdil

@Jessica Ok thanks, I’m reassured then cause I’m not mad… Well not all the way at least :P

6. Toastrules

As someone who actually went to the TGS on Saturday, I have to say it was the BIGGEST CLUSTERFUCK I HAVE EVER SEEN IN MY LIFE.

Waited 2 and a half hours just for Battlefield 3 (which was worth it… DAT LIGHTING)

Wasn’t able to try out Vita because I couldn’t even find the end of the line

And cosplay girls everywhere. I mean sure as a guy I found it awesome, but whatever sick perv makes them do that is just demented.

PS: You guys didn’t miss anything. BF3, Vita, and *maybe* like one other game was it, it was actually a very bad show floor, I spent most of my time taking pics with cosplay girls and chillin in line with my friends.