New Silent Hill Downpour trailer debuts at TGS

Saturday, 17th September 2011 15:41 GMT By Andrew Groen

A new trailer for the latest installment in Konami’s long-running Silent Hill series debuted at TGS this week. Just beware: the music in this trailer truly is terrible. It’s like something you’d hear emanating from an angry 16-year-old boy’s bedroom. This is all the Silent Hill fans will need to hear before they start clamoring to get Akira Yamaoka back at Konami as Silent Hill’s composer.

1. The_Red

Nothing against Korn but they should get the f*** out of Silent Hill. What the hell was Konami thinking?

2. Ireland Michael

Korn? Fucking Korn?!

And you were doing so well up to now, Downpour…

Man, I miss Akira Yamaoka. This right here is proof that existence or removal of few creative individuals can make all the difference to the lasting quality of a game or franchise.

3. Phoenixblight

@1 and 2

Its the theme song and will be used for marketing thats it. Easily avoidable just like that Silent Hill 3 song Stay with me was pretty horrid but the game itself was fantastic.

I admit the trailer doesn’t fit with the trailer or game but I am not going to get a pitchfork and torch over it. I will just press start when the theme goes so I can get to the menu.

4. manamana

We are almost seven years into this gen of HD consoles and Konami still don’t know how to handle graphics. I don’t want to sound like a graphics whore but gosh – I must! The textures are horrible. How is that even possible with a franchise as big as Silent Hill? Do they really don’t care or what is it?

5. Ireland Michael

@3 I thought 5 was terrible frankly. And fuck, that’s a horrible way to promote the franchise.

@4 I don’t see the problem with the textures myself. Funny thing about your remark though is that back in the PS2 days, these games were like the benchmark for creating uncannily realistic people, that always stayed away from that perfect, sculpted Hollywood look. Just look at Heather for the best example of this.

That’s another facet of the franchise that has gone down the drain since the real creative forces behind this franchise jumped ship.

6. Phoenixblight

Not sure why Homecoming was mentioned? I didn’t bring it up. Vatra didn’t develop Homecoming. This is all just Konami trying to market it and them picking Korn to do the theme song has fuck all to do with the developer. I have been reading and looking at videos and with the actual game I like the idea of what they have done. I can’t judge until I actually play the game.

7. manamana

I think Uncharted: GA looks as good as this. Apart from AA. On a Handheld that is….

8. The_Red

I know but Silent Hill 3 had Team Silent behind it as well as Yamaoka. For some time I was happy that his replacement was at least someone like Daniel Licht (Love his work in Dexter) but after hearing this track and knowing this is gonna be the new Silent Hill theme from the team behind Rush n Attack Ex Patriot, I couldn’t be any more pessimistic.

9. The_Red

@2 While I do miss Yamaoka as well, I think using Korn was Konami’s decision and not Licht’s. At least I hope so.

10. Lewis247

2:09 Lando?

This trailer was a massive disappointment. Nothing they showed made me interested or think to myself ‘now that is definetely a silent hill game’.. it was more of a ‘that looks pretty generic and very unscary plus the music did not fit at all’. You know..

11. YoungZer0

Wow, that was a fucking horrible Trailer.

12. Ireland Michael

@6 Whoops, I thought you said Silent Hill 5, not 3. I quite liked 3′s music myself.

13. Phoenixblight

I enjoy most of Akira songs it was that one particular song that I didn’t like where its mostly singing then actual ambient background. Daniel Licht, who is doing the soundtrack has the same type of talent just westernized. I enjoy his work in Dexter and some of the samples I have heard for SIlent Hill:Downpour. Guess Konami felt they needed a more mainstream band to sell their game?

I am a fan of Korn but this song just doesn’t work with the SH thankfully its avoidable.

14. Sini

wtf is this shit music, is this some “fan” made video?

15. triggerhappy

Wow. Should have watched that with the sound off LOL

The game looks good though and I bet the in game music is good. The music in Dexter is excellent.