Use your Vita as a PS3 controller

Thursday, 15th September 2011 04:06 GMT By Jessica Citizen

Remember what we’ve seen about how the Wii U controller interacts with the base console – where the extra screen on the tablet either mimicks or complements what’s on the monitor? Today, we’ve learned that this is pretty much the way the PS Vita will interact with the PS3, using LittleBigPlanet as an example.

In an all-too-short portion of the Sony keynote at Tokyo Game Show, Shuhei Yoshida illustrated how easy it was for him to play using nothing but the PS Vita, while his companion stuck with the traditional DualShock controls.

The handheld’s touch screen and intuitive controls can work in tandem with the traditional control sticks – adding the ability to swipe lines across the screen, flinging objects and drawing new platforms. It’s not yet been revealed whether you could have more than one person using Vita consoles as PS3 controllers, but there’s still plenty of time before September, so I guess we’ll find out soon enough.

1. doa766

so Vita not only destroys the 3Ds but the Wii U as well? nice

2. alterecho

Wow! They have thought ahead of time when creating Vita.

3. Panipal2005

It’s a pity the Fatal Frame games are going to be Nintendo exclusive from now on, if there was a HD remake of Fatal Frame 2 coming to the PS3 that supported this, that would see me buying a Vita.

4. manamana

Puff! There goes the WiiUs USP.

5. Lounds

yes but wiiU will cost the same as this. But me likely PSV.

6. revolting

This was also proposed (and if I recall correctly, even demoed like this) with the PSP when the PS3 was about to be released, using it as a PS3 controller and the screen as a secondary display for maps, inventory, or whatever was appropriate to the game. Nothing ever came of it, and at the time, that disappointed me.

For that reason, I’m skeptical at best about this. Obviously the Vita offers far more functionality than the PSP, and they’ve really gone the extra mile with getting more developers on board for the Vita launch, but this is not the first time they’ve tried to push this idea of the two platforms interacting directly as symbiotic devices, and last time it fell flat on its face and went nowhere.

While I was all for it with PSP/PS3, I’m less keen to see it take off this time around with the Vita/PS3. I’m not really interested in getting a Vita, and I certainly don’t fancy having additional features shut off from me as the price of not forking out for one. The “Kinect compatible” icon on the Mass Effect 3 box already offends me enough as it is.

7. a7md1990

hell yess.. gimme some of that Sony!!

8. Ireland Michael

Well, since I was getting one of these anyway, that makes for a nice little bonus.

9. ninjanutta

with a hacked ps3 you can play most games on the psp,basically allows remote play with all games instead of 2 or 3,this looks really cool though,im really starting to want one of these little babys.

10. The_Red

If the latency is decent enough for all games, it could really steal WiiU’s thunder. I mean we’re already getting reports of stream and play problems with WiiU’s controller and know it won’t work outside the house.

The combination of Vita, 3G and PS3 could really become something great if done right (Though knowing Sony, they’ll probably screw it up somehow).