Starbreeze: Syndicate reboot “definitely paying as much homage” to Bullfrog originals

Tuesday, 13th September 2011 10:27 GMT By Johnny Cullen

You’d think with it being a first-person shooter now, Starbreeze is looking to throw everything and the kitchen sink out of Syndicate in terms of nostalga from the originals. Quite the contrary, actually.

Game director Neil McEwan has said that the reboot to the Bullfrog IP was always going to be an first-person shooter effort instead of the tactical origins the series came from.

But speaking to OXM, he noted the Swedish studio was aiming to provide as “much homage” to the old games as possible.

“It was always going to be an FPS,” said McEwan.

“The original nub of the idea was to take that viewpoint from the original game and zoom into the Agent’s head, and play that part. A closer experience – to become one of those Agents.”

He continued: “We’re big fans of the original Syndicate, and we’re definitely paying as much homage to it as we can – bringing across the essence of the world, the core essence of what it is to be an Agent. That sounds wanky but it’s true – we’re taking the Persuadatron and evolving it in different ways, the weapons and brutality.

“On both facets of the game, the co-op and the single player, it’s very key to stay true to it.”

After years of speculation, the project formally known as Project Redlime was unveiled for an early 2012 release on PS3, 360 and PC yesterday.

1. Blerk

“That sounds wanky”

Great quote! :-)

2. GamezIdiot

So they’re saying that StarCraft isn’t popular then because it’s not an FPS?

And wasn’t the point of Syndicate to be an Executive who controlled agents. You weren’t ever playing as an agent. Homage my arse.

3. Johnny Cullen

Blerk – Alternative out of context headline was “Starbreeze: Comparing old Syndicate to new Syndicate ‘sounds wanky’”

4. gaz

So, not Syndicate at all then. Just another bloody FPS shooter. The whole point of syndicate was that your were guy pulling the strings. You controlled all the agents. It’s a strategy / god sim. This isn’t synidacate, just another atempt to steal the Call of Duty crown. What a shame. I was looking forward to a proper update of a classic.

5. Fin

I wonder if people complained this much when Command & Conquer Renegade was released.

6. Blerk

I suspect they did, yes. :-D

7. viralshag

@5, Fin, you complain about others complaining just as much as those complaining complain. Ya get me? ;)

8. Fin

No doubt, cynicism wrecks my head. Why can’t everyone just be happy they’re making a new Syndicate game, regardless of genre :(

But ya, point taken, I’ll probably turn into something like Erth eventually, every article complaining about the people who’re complaining in the comments :D

9. gaz

Just fed up with the constant run of FPS shooters. My game collection seems a bit light on decent strategy / god sims. I guess I could always dig out the original somewhere on the web and play that with it’s dated engine and graphics rather than shiney new ones.

10. Blerk

@8, I don’t think anyone expected it to be exactly the same as it was before, but the way they’ve spun this makes it sound like a standard shooter in Syndicate colours. That might not be right, but they don’t appear to have done much to clarify if that’s the case.

For me it’s not that they changed it (which I expected), but that they changed it into something that’s apparently so entirely different. As I said in the other thread, I expected it to be open-world and mission based, giving you a decent amount of freedom as to how you accomplished your goals and carrying a long-term “take over the city” mission – more akin to something like Prey 2 or Deus Ex: HR or even Red Faction: Guerilla. As it stands, it looks like it’s none of that. It might still be really good, but it stings of a missed opportunity to create something different that really stands out.

11. Freek

The thing about C&C Renegade though was that it was a spin off, not replacement or reboot for regular C&C.
    Then there’s the fact that C&C actually did have some recoqnizable style to it that they kept intact, so all the base operations and units were part of the game and in multiplayer mode it even had strategy elements to it. Your base made money through harvesting and your team bought and deployed units same as the RTS game.
    It tried to take the core gameplay and turn it into an action game. It failed but atleast the idea was interesting and true to C&C.

With the Syndicate reboot they don’t seem to be bringing over any gameplay or style elements from the source material in any signifigant way, to the point that even they have to admit it all sounds a bitt “wanky”.
    There wasn’t much distinctive about the world or story of Syndicate, it was the gameplay that made that game.

12. OrbitMonkey

Well top down team tactical’s don’t really sell well on consoles do they? Hence the move to fps. I’d have thought more guys would relish the opportunity to see Syndicate from this new angle… Oh well.

13. gaz

I guess that’s the problem. Recouping development costs. I think I’d rather a smaller team made an Xbox live / PSN game closer to what the original was.

14. beemoh

@OrbitMonkey, #12: I can’t help but think that this, alongside the new X-Com, would be much better received if they were still doing ‘regular’ versions of the games- to name a series that went the other way, Halo Wars, an RTS, was an interesting aside, but came out in between two ‘regular’ Halo games.

15. Freek

@12, come on, there’s more to gaming then either full on RTS or FPS. A properly modern take on Syndicate would be a squad based third person action game set in an open world enviroment with a terroritory capture mechanic and a bitt of RPG flavour.

Those elements already exist in succesfull multiplatform franchises like Mass Effect, GTA and Saints Row.

But Starbreeze woulden’t be the studio to make that game, they’re FPS specialists.

16. DaMan

No, they should’ve made something along the lines of Commandos and Desperados. Those were pretty much the logical continuations of Bullfrog’s title.

17. The_Red

@3 Best. Headline. EVER.
    Seriously, even within the context, what they’re saying isn’t much better.

18. GwynbleiddiuM

@Fin, WELL! Because it is irrelevant if the new Syndicate game is just a NAME pops out after I dunno 15 years to just be something else and completely bypass and drastically change everything that made original Syndicate title what it was and was popular because of it. Those mechanics and the way the original title meant to be are no longer exist, so it rather is a spin-off than a Syndicate reboot. I agree with gaz and Freek here, this is a Syndicate game no more.