DICE responds to Battlefield 3 dev build asset leak

Tuesday, 13th September 2011 20:30 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

DICE general manager Karl Magnus Troedsson has responded to the leaked developer build footage of Battlefield 3 on Xbox 360, stating the footage – which has been subsequently been pulled – wasn’t how the firm nor EA wanted people to experience the shooter.

“As people have probably noticed, when we show our games – we are very proud of what we’re doing – we always want to show it in the best light. We want to show the product as good as possible,” Troedsson told Eurogamer. “Watching the game in crappy 320×200 resolution on YouTube is not the way that we want people to experience the game.

“We’d rather have them wait for us to show it in its real HD glory. There are a lot of hard hours that have gone into this from the team, and naturally we’re disappointed. But, yeah, things happen.”

The leak raised questions about why DICE hasn’t yet released proper video fotoage or screenshots of Battlefield 3 on console – besides the off-screeen footage seen on US chat show Late Night with Jimmy Fallon and on-stage at the EA Gamescom press conference.

Troedsson also addressed the fact that console footage of the game has been slim, compared to the game being shown running on PC.

“I understand you mostly see PC footage. It’s all part of what kind of strategy we use for what we want to show and when, and what the lead platform is,” explained Troedsson. “People shouldn’t worry. We play the 360 and the PS3 version every day in the office. I don’t expect people to be disappointed by this.

“We always want to show a platform that we have chosen to be our lead platform. In this case we did choose PC as the lead platform; it’s the one that has been, mostly, driving development forward. That is the reason why we have spearheaded a lot of the key assets with this as well.

“We’ll show this on console as well, and when the beta goes live people will be able to play it on console and they can make up their minds for themselves if they believe we’ve been hiding something.”

Battlefield 3 launches on October 25 and October 28 in the US and UK for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360, with the later being packaged on two discs.

1. Yoshi

You know, if it was the other way around and the consoles were always shown but never the PC version… would the media act the same? I unfortunately think not.

2. GrimRita

@1 thats because EA want BF3 to rule the console roost over CoD – which will never happen. But hey, lets face it, the EA PR bullshit machine are good at all these ‘leaks’ of late.

3. LOLshock94

@1 Happy birthday :D

4. daytripper

i dont see the harm this late into development showing all three sku’s

5. Xuchilbara

Stephany can you please change the title to have “video” at the end? It really threw me off.

6. Stephany Nunneley

@5 Your wish is my command

7. Yoshi

@3 Thanks :P However it was yesterday, the 12th ;)

8. IL DUCE

Yeah so about that beta….

Maybe get it out already so we can play it and decide for ourselves how the console versions look (in all honesty, really looking forward to playing it on my new 51″ Plasma)

I do understand the lead platform biz though…kind of like you always see CoD on the 360, Medal of Honor was showed constantly on PS3 at press conferences so I get it…but choosing the PC is a double-edged sword since yes the Battlefield community has always been huge on PC, has a huge following and they wanted to give their PC fans the best Battlefield experience, it also has the best graphics and we are essentially shown something that looks a lot better than it will on consoles so in that matter, it alienates console users a bit…I don’t really mind though, I trust DICE and I’m sure ill have a blast on the 360

9. manamana

DICE is right with their statement and anyone should know by know that the PC is the far superior version and the consoles will be somewhat dissapointing graphics wise. Crystal clear and easy to swallow.

But why, in gods forsaken land of controllers, is it so hard for them, to through console gamers a little bone just a month before launch? I want cancel my preorder, since I know the graphics want be some mindblowing PC footage, so what?! I mean, yes I ignored the leaked campaign vids, but thats just what happens, because the console community is keen on console footage. Simple as that.

10. Moonwalker1982

Yeah well DICE…for some reason you ain’t showing anything from the 360 version. So this was bound to happen.

11. HighWindXIX

I played the co-op demo they had at PAX and that was on PS3 and it ran great and looked great. I wouldn’t worry.