EA: Battlefield 3′s Battlelog won’t go premium

Wednesday, 7th September 2011 08:02 GMT By Brenna Hillier

EA has quashed speculation it will emulate Activision by bringing in a premium version of its Battlefield 3 service, Battlelog.

“We are providing Battlelog to Battlefield 3 players to deliver the best social, multiplayer FPS experience in the market,” the publisher told IndustryGamers.

“We have no plans to charge for this service with Battlefield 3. The Battlefield series has always been about playing with friends, and Battlelog takes that experience to the next level by serving as a unique social network.”

EA’s comments came in response to a prediction from Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter that a premium version of the service would be introduced in the future, in emulation of rival offering Call of Duty Elite.

Battlefield 3 launches next month for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

1. KAP

And this is why I can’t stand Michael Pachter, he’s like what the industry uses to poke and make fun of most of the time.
    Predictions is kool, I have nothing against ‘em but when you constantly get it wrong it’s time to hang up for hat old man.

What a twat.

2. Maximum Payne

Well if somebody ask you for premium on Battlelog it is completely understandable to say that it will have some sort of subscription.
    BF3 is going to sell a LOT so…
    I seen one episode of Pack Attack when he said:When I say something about my prediction is not about that ”that”should be doing, but that should be doing to maximize profit.

3. KAP

But he never starts of by saying “in my opinion” stating that he has some sort of credible truth in his predictions of some kind, when in actual fact he follows the tide of the internet.
    His tactic is this: He sees whats popular or what people dont like and he makes silly predictions upon that subject.

A twelve yr old does thatm infact im sure a twelve yr old is doing that right now in the school playground as we speak.

Pachter needs to play games for more then a few minutes a day, least then he can speak about the subject he seems to know so much about.

sigh.

4. Yoshi

Words to focus on is Battlefield 3. ‘“We have no plans to charge for this service with Battlefield 3″‘
    So sounds like they won’t do it with Battlefield 3, that’s for sure but they never say they wouldn’t do it in the future.

P.S Agreed Patcher is an idiot XD

5. polygem

i think a tool to check your statistics and stuff MUST be free. it is something that makes the game better. but it´s nothing you can charge the buyers of your game for AGAIN. acti is making a mistake by charging for elite i believe. or for premium elite or whatever. all these things are small steps in the wrong direction and in the end they will get lost on their way. people wont buy their shit anymore. if respawn for example will be able to create a new ip that plays as well and fluid as the cod franchise but runs on a much better engine and stuff…i guess even loyal cod players (like me) will be more than happy to say bye bye to greedy acti and jump on the new train. all i want is an awesome fps mp game. i don´t care about brands. but i don´t want to get ripped off.

6. OrbitMonkey

Well I can see the point of Elite, well tbh the ONLY point I can see of elite is to get the maps earlier & a bit cheaper than non-subscribers… Stat checking doesn’t bother me at all.

BattleLog WILL go premium eventually with the same hook of cheaper dlc, thats a given & with all the dlc EA will push out a small blessing.

7. endgame

in other words it’s not highway robbery like that other service is. but then again BF players would never accept something like that.

8. Ireland Michael

Paying 50 for a glorified stats screen is pretty hilarious.

Enjoy your overpriced service with “early maps” and free game-modes that should have been in the game anyway.

9. AHA-Lambda

oh good i aint paying for both after all =)

10. OrbitMonkey

@8 & 9, Elite is no more a rip-off than the Gears 3 deal that MS have got & I guarantee BF3 players will definitely accept the same kind of offer. Maybe not all, but enough of a majority to make It profitable.

11. Ireland Michael

@10 Good thing I couldn’t care less about Gears of War either then, eh?

12. AHA-Lambda

@10 – I never called elite a rip off, i’m getting a subscription for it =/

i just dont want to pay for 2 services, so i’m happy

13. OrbitMonkey

Oops sorry Aha-Lambada, I meant 7 & 8 ;) @Ireland, ok then, elite is no more a rip-off than Streetfighter costume dlc, if I recall you care about that :)

14. Ireland Michael

@13 1) I never bought the costumes, because I can’t justify that amount of money for virtual clothing when I could spend it on real clothing instead.

2) It’s not even remotely the same. One is a cosmetic visual change that doesn’t change the game in any way, and the other is actual game content.

One is directly beneficial to the actual *gameplay* portion of the game. The other is not. Can you guess which?

Unless they end up giving subscribers BC2: Vietnam sized expansion as part of the DLC, they don’t have a single argument to stand on.

15. Fin

So you’re saying SF costumes dlc aren’t worth money, but actual game content (Elite) is? ;)

16. Ireland Michael

@15 No.

I’m saying I would rather have the game portion of the game as part of the package when I buy it (unless it’s significantly expansive and long after release), and have the *option* of superficial extras as DLC, instead of the other way around.

Portal 2′s (PC) cosmetic store for the two robots, or the store for Team Fortress 2, are two perfect example. The games remain fully intact as far as gameplay goes.

17. OrbitMonkey

No Ireland I think your saying “its COD, it can do no right”, fucking racist ;)

I mean saying its not right their gonna release map packs that have not been finished yet with the game is a bit odd, don’t you think?

18. Ireland Michael

@17 I’m talking about the game modes in that regard.

The maps are going to the same overpriced farces (with rehashes of older map to try and justify the price) they were in the last two games. This is Activision. That goes without saying.

Paying for a stat screen though? That’s just fucking hilarious.

19. albo88

i dont get it why should you buy cOD elite subscription i mean for permanent map packs when you can buy them for ever?

20. DSB

Boring

21. IL DUCE

@5 yes its like charging for leaderboards and now I know there are a lot of haters of CoD Elite, and I’m not such a big fan of it myself since I think its premise is dumb, but where Acti is smart is by charging 50 bucks for it and including all of the DLC for that price which if bought separately will be 60 bucks so people will buy it on that premise alone that they will save 10 bucks on MW3 DLC by subscribing to it (I myself am contemplating it b/c of that)…which plenty of people may stop playing the game before they get all the DLC…

Acti is also smart by offering earlier access and shorter wait periods b/w DLC for CoD Elite subs, but the only issue with that is will they have a playlist of subs so they can play those new maps? b/c otherwise players will just have to hope for the chance that every1 in the lobby has the sub and the new map, which wouldn’t make it worth it…also shorter wait periods I assume means they will bundle DLC/maps for non-subs but subs will get maybe a weapons pack, or Spec Ops map, or a MP map that is part of the larger DLC that releases to non-subs later on…

Now I also wonder if it will be a monthly sub or something like XBL where you just buy the year in bulk? b/c idk if they want to give people the ability to cancel after a couple of map packs when they stop playing…

So it does make business sense for Acti, and as someone in that field I can’t fault them for that, not very cool to gamers though but everyone is doing some sort of monetization of MP on a smaller scale such as Online passes ranging from 5-15 bucks, because did every1 forget about Battlefield Bad Company 2 VIP Pass? So its not like DICE never charged for MP, and that was just to make second hand owners or renters of the game pay for MP…and offered the benefits of getting maps that already existed to function on other game modes…quite useless

22. IL DUCE

Also people have to remember the basic Elite with stats and all the crap is free…specifically to comment #8 who obviously has no information regarding the service…what you are paying for in the premium service is more advanced features, no further charge for DLC as well as early access to that DLC and the ability to participate prize-eligible tournaments…no one is making you subscribe so I don’t know why there is such a vehement outcry against it…if it doesn’t affect you or you are not going to pay a premium sub, why do you give a shit? Is everyone just that bored? Now I’m not a big fan of Acti by no means, but I still play CoD every year, and aside from the extremely retarded initial commercial/video for Elite there is nothing to be upset about…if you don’t want to use it or are not interested why fatigue your fingers typing about how offensive it is?