Blizzard “very close” to starting Diablo III public beta

Wednesday, 7th September 2011 11:57 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Not long to go now.

Blizzard has told VG247 that it’s “very close” to beginning the public beta of Diablo III, following footage and shots of what appeared to be from the family and friends portion of the beta appeared online from an apparent ex-company employee. You can watch the video below, via DiabloFans.

But its told us in an email this morning that the public are about to get a taste of the game.

“We’re getting very close to starting the closed public beta test for Diablo III,” a Blizzard rep told VG247.

“You might start seeing some new reports about the beta client as we’ve begun limited external testing with employees and their families, and there is no non-disclosure agreement (NDA) for that. We look forward to sharing more info about the beta test in the near future. Stay tuned.”

For those who do currently have acces to the beta, the company added that those playing it are “free to show, share, or talk about any portion of the beta content to which you have access, as this beta test is not confidential.”

A public beta for the title was first confirmed at a Activision financial call in May earlier this year for a Q3 launch.

Diablo III has no date yet, although a 2012 date is likely.

1. Blerk

I’d really like to know how well this scales. The idea that I might somehow be able to run it on my laptop with the shinies turned down a bit is most enticing. Although, I suspect, improbable.

2. StolenGlory

How much punch does your laptop have Blerk?

3. Blerk

It’s an i3 at 2.2ghz, I think. Which isn’t too bad. My main problem will be graphics – it’s just an integrated card so if it requires any kind of graphical oomph I’m probably shit out of luck.

Still, I’ll always have Torchlight. :-)

4. MFBB

Blizzard games always scale very good (Diablo, Starcraft, Warcraft..).

Quote from Blizzard
    “…It will run on DirectX 9, not requiring DirectX10 to run.
    The system requirements of Diablo III will be pretty low end but it may make slightly higher demands on the system than Blizzard’s StarCraft II. ”

So you have good chances since Starcraft 2 also runs on…every computer, you can scale it down so much.

5. StolenGlory

I think you’ll be fine if i’m honest. All of Blizz’s games tend to be near-infinitely scalable in the visuals department and aren’t exactly cutting edge affairs to begin with.

6. Blerk

Well, I live in hope. Because this looks awesome and I’d love to buy it.

Hopefully they’ll do a demo or something if it proves impossible for me to sneak into the beta, then I can at least try it out on my kit and see how it performs.

7. themadjock

My Alienware M11xR2 can run SC2 on High detail at around 20-22 fps so I would say that starcraft 2 can be a bit of a monster especially when you are in a 2vs2 with everyone on 200 supply…. :)

8. deathgaze

I deeply suspect that there will be no actual “beta” for this game. The actual “beta” version has already been extensively tested and vetted in-house. For all intents and purposes, beta folks will be looking at final code. The public “beta” is, I suspect, mostly going to be for troubleshooting Battle.net problems and to catch rare bugs thanks to a huge testing pool. If this “beta” happens within a month, I suspect that the game will probably be out by the end of the year.

9. Ireland Michael

“The public “beta” is, I suspect, mostly going to be for troubleshooting Battle.net problems and to catch rare bugs thanks to a huge testing pool.”

Which is… uuuh… exactly what a beta is for.

When it comes to beta testing, one thing that Blizzard is at least good at is the fact that they tend to be pretty broad and thorough with those

10. Blerk

I do wonder just how ‘public’ the public beta will be. How have Blizzard betas worked in the past?

11. Quasar

i think u must own one blizzard game

12. Deacon

My friend at Blizzard has offered me a Beta key. Alas, the only machine I could play it on is here at work..

:: contemplates running the proverbial gauntlet ::

13. Ireland Michael

@10 Usually a lottery chance based on your machine specs and if you’ve played other games. If it’s for an already released game, it’s usually free access to anyone as long as the servers can handle it.

14. GwynbleiddiuM

If I’m not in the beta, only God can save all Horde players in my realm specially low levelers as I will Obliterate them to death. I’m not know for taking my frustration on low levelers, but I’ll make exception this time around.

@12 Can you squeeze one more beta key from your friend and give it to me, pretty please? You’ll be subject of my daily prayer.

15. Hallonglass

@1 When I try to open the beta, it says “Diablo 3 Beta does not currently support your video card” or something like that. So I guess integrated graphics is a no go, but I’m sure it’ll be viable in the full game.