EVE Online offers bulk subscription for first time

Friday, 2nd September 2011 23:11 GMT By Andrew Groen

EVE Online developers CCP have announced that they’ll be making their in-game subscription time available at a big discount for the first time, which is kind of significant if you play EVE.

It’s significant because EVE’s subscription time is also an in-game currency that can be bought or traded with other currencies or goods. It’s a practice that CCP actually encourages.

Players can become so wealthy in-game that they don’t ever have to actually pay for the game itself. Other players can buy subscription time with real world cash and then trade that for money, goods, and influence in the game world.

For those of you who actually know what this means, on September 16, 13 PLEX  (the subscription time) will cost you just $199.99. This could potentially yield significant results for EVE players as it will be a renewed chance for real-world wealth to tip the scales in the political war that is EVE Online.

1. Phoenixblight

WOuld like to try out this game but with just this article itself seems like a Hardcore players wet dream not for a noob to just walk in and play. Hmm…

2. Peetry

I’ve always wanted to play EVE but I just feel like I’m too late to the party

3. endgame

started playing 3 weeks ago. and even though for a newbie it might be a dangerous place without the guidance of a veteran I think u should all try this game because it’s simply incredible in every aspect and I assure u that u have never played something like this before.

@1 shut up console troll!! as usual u don’t know s**t about the game and u still share your idiotic comments with us.

@2 u will never be late to the party if u decide to try this game out. at the moment almost 10% of the population r trial accounts. so there r always new ppl trying this game.

4. viralshag

@2, if you want to play it, you should owe it to yourself to try. I picked it up for the first time earlier this year and played for around one to two months and enjoyed it.

I haven’t continued playing because it’s a little too intense for me but like #3 said, you probably haven’t played something like this before. The closest thing that’s remotely like it would be X3 but even the scale of EvE is astounding.

Definitely try it out for a bit. It’s a good game.

5. Phoenixblight

Really console troll? I play on the PC 90% of the time and I am a console troll? And my comment was not anything to get all huffy about just said that the game has no learning curve it has a learning cliff from what I understand from other people that have played.

Troll harder please.

6. GwynbleiddiuM

@1 As a person who occasionally re-subs EVE when he’s bored with WoW and wants to take a break, I suggest you take the trial and give it a shot, but before that I strongly suggest to take some time and read articles published by others and upon deciding to jump in, join EVE University because they have scheduled programs that help new players to start their way toward having fun in EVE. Eve is an entirely different experience than anything you played before and without help you’ll lose interest in the game. EVE Uni has classes that actually people graduate from and advance, tasks being given depending to the play-styles people have and will help them to find and set their tune.

@3 He basically doesn’t know what EVE is all about, instead of being rude you can explain, and from my own experience no one within the EVE Online community would act as harsh and as childish as you did to turn off any motivations one might have in the EVE Online.

7. endgame

@6 all right I admit I was a little bit rude but he is kind of annoying so I just couldn’t resist. :) as for ppl acting harsh in EVE..? no! u r wrong! maybe u were lucky enough not to meet them but there r quite a few bad ppl playing the game. examples? hmm, well u have the spies who infiltrate corporations and take them down from within. and pirates. I myself have met a pirate a few days ago who tricked me into doing something that I shouldn’t have done and then scrambled me and blew my ship up.

u should all remember that this is a game where WE (the players) r making the law, a law which we r upholding or breaking. this is why the game is so dangerous and scary but at the same time so incredibly awesome.

8. GwynbleiddiuM

@7 well, Pirates are pirates, they don’t have any sense of morality, I was talking about when you start the game, I was shot and barely escaped the first day I played, in 0.9 sec space. I was mining and went to get some tea and returned and saw my ship is on fire, barely escaped with my pod, in a freaking 0.9 sec. But people were kind enough to help me get back on my feet, I even have a Iteron Mark III (sort of an space version of gigantic Bulkship)and few frigates fully armed, never been in a large scaled battle but shoot down some annoying people, was working on my battlecruiser and suddenly my love for Warcraft bloomed again and doesn’t feel going anywhere right now. Anyway annoyance and nuisance happens in all MMOs but if I had to compare the entire community of EVE with WoW, WoW community (players) sucks balls, full or rude and annoying people, no one would bother to help anyone. I often take time and answer people’s questions in trade channel while most are being rude or making fun of them.

The best thing about EVE is the fact that it’s a player driven game, rules, Corporations and even law enforcement is mostly handled by players, economy is a marvelous thing, used to have quarterly detailed statics and PRs from a professional analyst. And this is why I’m really excite to play DUST 514, my buddies will support me while I’m doing their dirty work on the ground, haha love it.

9. Phoenixblight

Thank you for that. I am still not sure I would be able to play with school, toddler and house cleaning. Just don’t have a lot of time to just play a game that takes research when I can’t just pick up and play. This is all assumptions though and I will look up articles about it just to see what it is like without actually playing it.

10. endgame

true. players in other MMOs r complete a**holes most of the time. in EVE, at least in high sec areas ppl r so friendly to newbies. it’s incredible! this is what struck me the first time I started playing it. I remember entering Arnon where there was an incursion going on and I saw ppl gathering in fleets. ofc I wanted to fight too but I knew I’m not equipped for that kind of action so I asked in local what do I need to be able to join their fleets. tbh I was expecting harsh reactions towards me but ppl were so awesome. two of them even opened private windows with me and started explaining what ships and what fits I need. they also gave me examples. :)