PlayStation Certified Sony tablets dated, priced

Thursday, 1st September 2011 10:46 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Sony’s confirmed dates and prices for the upcoming tablet devices from the company that have been PlayStation Certified, which means PS1 titles can be legally downloaded onto the devices. The S1, which has been renamed to Tablet S, will release this month for $500. The flip-up S2, which again has had its own name change to Tablet P, will launch in November, but no price has been confirmed as yet.

Thanks, Kotaku.

1. Erthazus

XPERIA Play Failure №2 but now, only for 500$

2. Christopher Jack

@1, How so? They’re running the same software with similar hardware to it’s competitors @ a similar price with a few exclusive extras. The Xperia Play still costs more outright, probably just above the iPhone 3GS’ price but with far superior hardware & a nice gaming gimmick to keep those emulator buffs happy-wish I got one now that my Samsung Galaxy S is almost* fucked :(

*Dropped it on the cement while playing footy, case is completely fucked & will cost $230 to repair but it’s mechanically sound-touch screen still works 100%, still, not using a phone with a cracked-glass screen.

Being PlayStation Certified only means that it’ll eventually receive the PlayStation Suite-nothing more.

3. Ireland Michael

@1 How the fuck is the Xperia Play a failure? It’s been selling very solidly in the mobile phone market, and tons of popular games on the Android are being optimised just for the device.

There is both developer interest and consumer interest in the product. So I fail to see how this is a “failure” in the slightest.

4. Psychotext

There are “tons of popular games” on the android?

I’ve struggled to find more than 4 things worth playing.

5. Christopher Jack

@3, He just hates Android & everything that uses it, probably an Apple fanatic too loyal to take his head out of Apple’s arse & give it a real try.

6. Deacon

I have to say I agree with Erth on the Xperia Play. It’s a cheaply thrown together piece of kit. I’m sure it has some cool games, but IMO it fails.

These tabs look quite nice though. Just not sure if they’re competitive.

7. Fin

He just hates everything

FTFY

8. Ireland Michael

@4 Right off the top of my head? Zenonia, Inotia, a large number of EA titles, all the free Angry Birds games, Eternity Warrior, Plants vs. Zombies, Arcade by Kongretate, Game Dev Story (so addicted to this one), Pocket Legends, Star Legends, and many others.

@6 How exactly is it “cheaply thrown together”? As far as Androids goes, it’s a very solid device.

9. Deacon

I don’t mean Android – I’m all for Android. I mean the build quality of the phone itself.

Compared to a lot of other devices, it just feels a bit cheap considering the cost. Also, the screen backlight and camera seem well below par.

Just my op!

10. Christopher Jack

Who cares about the camera?

11. Deacon

how else am I gonna take pictures of my balding cock to send to all the girls?

12. viralshag

^ Spat a bit of coke out during my lolz at that one.

13. Psychotext

@8: Pretty much just game dev story / grand prix manager out that list for me. Angry Birds is awful, Plants vs Zombies I’ve played to death on the PC.

Not tried Arcade or Pocket Legends. But still, we’re hardly talking about the PSP or DS here.

14. Christopher Jack

@11, With a real camera, just transfer it over, then they’ll actually be able to see that twig of yours xD

15. Deacon

touché !

16. Kabby

The Xperia Play was a good idea but suffers from half arsed execution.

17. NightCrawler1970