Quick Quotes: SWTOR release date “definitely tied to the beta”

Wednesday, 31st August 2011 15:49 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

“We’re driving towards a date, but we’re not announcing a date yet because [we] want to make sure that these services can last a decade. It is definitely tied to the beta test feedback that’s ongoing and so far, so good. You’ve got to have a great launch and as more and more user feedback comes in we make those polishing decisions on what we’re going to get right and nail. The other thing is, the technology of standing these things up and then getting all the server farms to work together, talk to one another, store character records… it’s extraordinarily complex and so we want a very stable experience. We don’t want to happen to us what happened to WoW and a couple of other services where in the first week there were queues trying to get on to the servers, the entire service crashed. So we need to nail and make sure that it’s up 24/7 and it’s high quality. We’re totally focused on quality, so whatever the beta test tells us is what will be the determining variable on when we will hit.” – EA labels boss Frank Gibeau to CVG.

1. viralshag

All this chat and jazz hands better lead to the best MMO launch ever. I would also tell them not to worry about whether or not these services will last a decade. They should be concerned whether they last a year and retain most of their player base past the first month.

I hope they actually have their priorities in order. As excited as a lot of people are for the game I see just as much negative and indifferent views on the game. I won’t lie, I still have my doubts about it too but I’m going to hold judgement until I get my hands on it.

One last thing – my beta invite better be on the way soon. :]

2. Stephany Nunneley

@2 – :D “jazz hands” – that was awesome.

3. viralshag

@ Steph, Thanks haha. It’s true though, isn’t it? They are drifting dangerously close to too much talk, not enough game for me right now.

I’m fed up of game events passing by with them hosting panels and not really saying anything amazing or showing anything tremendously fantastic.

I personally think that GW2 and SWTOR are waiting for each other to release dates. They are like two elephants in a room pretending not to look at each other from the corner of their eyes. >.> <.<

4. DarkElfa

They are driving me up a fucking wall Steph. My guild formed for this game 2 years ago and we are quickly running out of both patience and games to play together.

5. GrimRita

@3 Do what I did. Lower your standards, then lower it again and SWTWoW should be ok. There’s a ton of stuff yet to be announced about the game (there is still a missing section on their website), plus the missing planets, talk about crafting, pvp (which currently is EXTREMELY dull)amongst other stuff.

And any idiot knows that first comes beta, then comes release, followed by a) huge patch at launch and/or b)patch after launch

6. DSB

@3 I mostly agree, but how is GW2 a player in the MMO race? They’re not offering any subscriptions, and while I’m fairly ignorant as to what the original game was all about, it seems to be a different breed from things like WoW, Aion or Rift.

I have my own little theory going that SWTOR will actually be competing against Rift. Rift is still growing, and it’s feeding off the exact same userbase that SWTOR is hoping to get – The people coming off of WoW.

I think there’s a very real risk that the two are going to cannibalize eachothers audiences, more than actually biting into WoW. Maybe I’m exagerating the pull of WoW, but having played it for a few years, I don’t see how it’s challenged by anything those two are offering. They’re minor modifications to the same formula, and while that might be percieved as a revolution if you’re choking on WoW, I don’t think that goes for most people.

Then again, it’s EAs most expensive game to date. Maybe they’re going to go nuclear on the marketing budget as well.

7. viralshag

@6, You’re right and I have been pulled up on GW2 not really being a proper MMO before. I guess in my eyes, it kinda is and that’s most likely lack of proper long experience with the first game on my part.

Most of the time people are looking at GW2 as bringing something innovative to that genre, so I just assumed that is why they will comptete. That and the fact those two are probably brought up together a lot in the same conversations.

I’m not sure about Rift vs TOR though, as the impression I mainly get is that Rift has become somewhat of a stop off for people waiting for either of the new games. That was the case for me at least but I’ve even dropped off Rift again as I started playing a bit of Aion and then DX came along.

8. Stephany Nunneley

@4 Once again, I swear, I am starting to think you and I are in the same guild.

9. RockTwist

@3 I find the best thing to do is just ignore all the stuff Bioware put out and instead watch footage from some of the Youtubers. TotalBiscuit (TotalHalibut) did some excellent coverage of Gamescom, for example on SWTOR and Guild Wars 2 (and some Tera/Wildstar) and other console / PC games. He made me a believer in Guild Wars 2 for example, something i’d written off as I didn’t enjoy the first.

Failing that, leak sites have a huge amount more info than Bioware’s released in years.

10. DarkElfa

No Steph, but our guild would be happy to have an alliance with your guild and have you as the ambassador. Look us up and say hi. Almost all of us are 30 or older and we have a gal or 2 as well. Unfortunately, women are still far rarer than they should be in these games.

11. DSB

@7 I’m pretty sure Rift is now a lot bigger than Aion, but I base that mostly on the fact that they’ve been boasting their growth lately, while Aion has been pretty much dead quiet. I don’t think either has legs to stand on, but I’d pick Rift as the most likely competitor to grab the users that SWTOR needs.

I’m not sure about it either, but I’m definitely gonna high-five myself if it turns out to be the case :P

I’m pretty ignorant on Guild Wars, but given that it’s a one-time purchase, I don’t imagine they’re able to deliver a lot in terms of the highly tuned raids and challenges that make up roughly 75% of a game like WoW. I view it as more of a compliment to those games, rather than a direct competitor.

What publishers want is the 10 dollars a month crowd, not the 50 dollars on release one.

*updated*

Quick search proves that I’m dead wrong. Aion claims 3,5 million subscribers (I’m blown away by that) and Rift has recently hit 1 million.

12. Stephany Nunneley

@10 Ours is Clonesanddrones[dot]com – although we have yet to decide what our Guild name will be on either side of the Force. :)

13. DSB

Three Feet of Furry Doom.

Seriously though, I refuse to purchase that game unless they give me my furry midgets.

14. Stephany Nunneley

I just want to kill said fury teddy bears.

15. DSB

Yeah, well. Both are great reasons to make them playable.

16. viralshag

jawaexpress[dot]net is our guild. The site is still a little rough around the edges and it’s unfinished (totally my fault).

@DSB, I’m only playing Aion for the fun of it. It’s actually a lot lot better than what I remember from launch. I was going thorugh an MMO fad and I tried AoC agian – crap and WAR – sadly quiet.

I’m definitely set to play both of them, I’m in need of a decent MMO to take up some time though.

17. DSB

Can’t say I’ve played Aion, but I’ve done two trials of Rift at this point, and I have no idea why people enjoy it. It’s just so forced and derivative. Maybe it’s general MMO fatigue, but I just don’t see the appeal. At all.

I played Champions for a little bit after WoW, and that made for a nice change. The world was certainly a lot more interesting, and the combat was a lot more visceral. Ultimately you can tell there are different budgets in play, but I like what Cryptic are doing.

Done a trial of WAR, very shitty, and I was in the AoC beta, what a mess. Funcom MMO’s are tainted in my book, which is sad, since the first one I played and liked was Anarchy Online.

I reckon SWTOR is the most promising going forward, but I’m not playing unless I get to be an ewok. No way, José!