Hard Reset developer: Mainstream games are boring

Wednesday, 31st August 2011 05:16 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Flying Wild Hog isn’t interested in making just another shooter with Hard Reset, instead catering to the discerning PC gamer tired of modern tropes.

“All those modern shooters are about terrorists – after playing all those Call Of Duty games, I sometimes feel like I will open my fridge and a terrorist will pop-out to shoot me. Boring!” studio CEO Michal Szustak told Gamefront.

“We don’t want to create mainstream games, because those are boring. We made a game for all those who are tired with all the generic anti-terrorist shooters.”

Hard Reset boasts a number of features rarely seen in recent shooters, such no reloading and hidden bonuses, deliberate tributes to older games.

“I believe many players around world miss those old days and old games,” Szustak said.

“I also think there is too much of these ‘on-rails’ shooters on the market, so sooner or later players will grow tired and will crave something different.”

Refusing to bow to modern shooter conventions means Szustak doesn’t feel the need to tack on a multiplayer mode.

“Our entire team worked for two years to prepare the best possible single player experience. We could split our team and we could try adding multiplayer, but that would certainly affect the quality of our single player,” he explained.

“Also, it’s rather unlikely that we would create a multiplayer mode that could successfully compete with games focused on multiplayer only. So what’s the point? We believe that by concentrating on a single goal – an old-school single-player experience we are sure we can deliver for the gamers’ satisfaction – is more important.”

Flying Wild Hog eschews convention in its company and business structure as well as its game design.

“Our engine programmers and designers are working together – literally together – so any new feature request is implemented almost immediately,” Szustak said. “There’s a very flat structure in our studio and virtually no bureaucracy. It’s very efficient and fast.

“Our studio is independent and we try to do things our way, and this works for pricing too. We aren’t a corporation, that spends great amounts of money on PR and marketing, forcing the players to pay more for the games, since the producers need all those fancy suits and media hype. It’s not the producers or publishers who make the games – it’s the artists, animators, programmers and other team members. Games are too expensive because of too many obsolete go-betweens!

“We know that all those people that literally make the game get just a tiny little share of the money that the game earns. So Steam and digital distribution is the most important – with no greedy middlemen between our studio and the gamers – the price will surprise you.”

Flying Wild Hog expects to nail down Hard Reset’s release date and pricing shortly. The cyberpunk shooter is a PC exclusive.

Thanks, Blue.

1. HauntaVirus

9/13/2011 $26.99 via steam pre-order.

Sounds like these devs know whats up.

2. minxamo

Durr, mainstream games r boring, so ill jus maek a FPS game set in the future, nobody dun dat b4.

3. Ireland Michael

So instead of making what’s mainstream now, you’re just going create what was mainstream ten years ago?

Derp.

4. YoungZer0

@3: Derp, agree, Derp.

5. Erthazus

@3, it was not mainstream back in these days. It was made for gamers. (I’m not saying that gamers at that day were Gaming master race, but gaming was a bit niche)

In the age of console gaming, mainstream games have a lot of cut or simple features.
    what was ten years ago is much better in most cases than today. IMO I’m not saying that today games are absolutely shit, but it’s rare to find something unique that is going to be really a great hardcore experience.

6. YoungZer0

From the looks of it, it plays like the Painkiller series. Yes, it wasn’t mainstream, but it was far from good. All that talking is great and all, but the gameplay looks like it’s going to get boring pretty quick.

7. Ireland Michael

@5 I love how the people who played all the same derivative, uninspired games of a decade or so ago think they were actually part of some sort of special, obscure niche, the “true” gamers.

No, I’m sorry, you weren’t. You were the CoD Kiddies of 1999.

8. viralshag

In old man voice: Back in my day… you little punks wouldn’t know your FPS from an RTS to your butt hole. Back then, we didn’t have all this fancy ass auto aiming, kill streaking and console-pad-using-wet-behind-the-ears no good sons of bitches like we did in the war… wait where was I? Oh yeah, you people today don’t know! You don’t know what it was like back in the goold old days of gaming, the glory days, when all we had to do was point and click… Mmmmmhmmm, pointing and clicking…

9. OrbitMonkey

Ahh sweet nostalgia, everything was better ten years ago…& Monster Munch were defo bigger!!

10. Erthazus

“all the same derivative, uninspired games of a decade or so ago think they were actually part of some sort of special, obscure niche, the “true” gamers. ”

But you didn’t played these great games from 1999. I can name a lot of awesome games that were fantastic and much better than today.

11. StolenGlory

There are a fair few yes, but I think Michael was referring to the bulk of the shit that was out at the time.

12. viralshag

I could name loads of things that I did a decade ago that I thought was great and looking back, they were indeed fun, but frankly that doesn’t change the fact I’m heppy with what I have and can do now.

Yeah #7, you were not there! You don’t know what it was like! You don’t even play games! Get out! GET OUT! :P

13. Christopher Jack

@10, Then name them, I’m honestly at a lost, 1999 in retrospect was a shit year for gamers.
    One of the few thing that comes to mind from gaming in 1999 is Dino Crisis, which is a top game worthy of a reboot.

14. Ireland Michael

@11 Thanks. <3

@12 Lawl.

I have a wife and two kids already well in the throws of puberty. Trust me, I was there for those games.

And the game ten years before those. And in another two years, the he's ten years before those as well.

I remember all the great games of the past 30 years. But it was not the rose tinted paradise people like Erth here seems to think it was. There was just as much shit being release then (probably even more so) as there is now.

Nobody?

Didn't think so.

15. Erthazus

@13, counter-strike, everquest, SFIII: Third Strike, Unreal tournament 1999 ,Quake 3: Arena ,Powerstone, Age of Empires 2, Tony Hawk Pro Skater, Asheron’s Call, Medal of Honor, Soul Calibur, Silent Hill
    Sonic Adventure and etc.

1998 year is probably the best year in gaming. I can name so much. 1999 is not even coming close.
    2000+ and etc are even better until the announcement of XBOX 360.
    Yeah, PC and consoles share great games together, but not so much compared to the early days. More quantity than quality, although everyone says that it’s a time of the quality.

@Ireland Michael, “Anyone remember when every second was movie tie-in, or every developer under the was trying to ape the popularity of Sonic and Mario with their own mascots? Who here really wants to go back to that?

Nobody?”

you are saying right now about console titles only. There was no shit like that on the PC.

If i will compare 1999 and 2011 years for console gaming than sure, gaming is better for console gamers these days. But thats about it.
    What is nw on consoles was done before on the PC.

Have you ever played 1995-2005 games on the PC? I’m not so sure. These games were awesome and i can name tons of them.
    Shitty games always have been and always will be no matter what on all platforms, but great and good quality games for gamers were from 95-05 IMO.
    Also, more shitty stuff these days than before because gaming was still niche.

16. YoungZer0

@10: You know, this is the most annoying thing about you. You accuse people of something, simply because you think you’re superior to them. What the hell is wrong with you? You might be hot shit in the village of 3 people you live in, but this is the internet, you meet people who are older than you, more experienced and way more intelligent.

Clean up your act man.

You don’t even bother to argue anymore, you just accuse, showing off absolute premature behavior.

17. viralshag

@14, You have a wife well in the throws of puberty? o.O

Might want to keep that one quiet… :P I’m just messing.

@15, Seriously, look up the word nostalgia. If there is, in your opinion, nothing as good as it was back then maybe you should find a new hobby? Unless of course there ARE still great games available and you’re just stuck in the past… in which case I would say – go look up the word nostalgia.

18. Erthazus

@17, i didn’t said that there is nothing as good as was back there.
    I love WITHCER II in 2011 and i had a pretty good list of good games in 2010. also, i expect this year to have great games like DOTA2, BATTLEFIELD 3, DARK SOULS and some MMOS.
    There are great games and there will be great games in the future.
    But there are less experiences than before that were awesome. IMO.

I know what is nostalgia, but i don’t use it because i don’t care about it. I always look forward and i like replaying old games because i like them.

@16, “You accuse people of something”

i don’t accuse people of something. It’s just your retarded imagination of some things. I have an opinion about games, past and the future. You can disagree with me and i’m ok with this. I’m sharing my experience.

19. YoungZer0

@18: You said: “But you didn’t played these great games from 1999.”

That’s an accusation. Very far-fetched btw.

20. viralshag

@18, I don’t buy that. Over the last few years we have seen ridiculously good games and in the latter half of this year alone we are going to be flooded with extremely good games and great experiences.

Sure, they may not be unique or original but that’s hard to do when pretty much everything has been done in some shape or form already. You just have to improve on what has been done. Which, imo, they do.

Of course, it’s your opinion but I don’t think it’s fair to say that there are not as many great experiences these days as there were before.

21. Fin

People are so nostalgic for games of the past – if you actually went back and played them, a lot of them are pretty shit. Few or no checkpoints, manual saving, health packs, vicious difficulty, horrible cameras, lives/continues, shitty sub-hd graphics, dodgy controls.
    They’re really not as good as you remember.

Games are far, far better now than they used to be. Anyone who says otherwise should just go back to playing emulators.

22. viralshag

@21, Agreed. Sadly, and it is sad, I don’t consider games as timeless masterpieces. Maybe they are if you keep it as an article of “what was great back in the day” but like you said, if you actually go back and play them – they’re kinda crappy. You might have fun for a bit but you will most likely end up turning it off and go back to playing some Witcher 2 or BFBC2.

23. YoungZer0

I still play Vagrant Story from time to time. Still a fantastic game. Extremely underrated if you ask me.

24. Ireland Michael

I could name a dozen terrible PC games from 1999, but there’s no need to, because you’re the only person here who seems to think that the PC is some bastion of quality and that consoles are the sole cesspoll of bad games in the industry.

@17 Eww. =P

@21 Well sad.

@23 Ah, Vagrant Story. I downloaded that off the PlayStation Store recently, with my original disc being all scratched up.

Did you know you can transfer your original saves from the PS1 memory cards to your PS3, then from the PS3 to the PSP, and still be able to use them on the downloadable PSOne title?

It’s pretty awesome. I was able to continue from where I left off in the game half a decade ago, but now I can play it on the bus. Hah.

25. Dralen

The trailer looks pretty kickass. I’ll definitely be buying it.

26. silkvg247

To me what makes a solo FPS interesting is:

1, Challenge as in insane amounts of monsters ala Serious Sam.
    2, Gratuitous violence.
    3, Secrets, secrets, secrets. Secret walls, buttons, doors! Otherwise there’s no incentive to explore your pretty game at all, is there?
    4, Lots of interesting guns, granting many ways to kill. And the ability to hold them all at once (lol @ Duke Nukem trying the realistic approach instead. Missing the point much?)
    5, Giant bosses that actually make you shit bricks ala Painkiller.
    6, Context sensitive damage i.e. headshots, legshots, like soldier of fortune.

I don’t think knowing what makes a game interesting puts me into a
    niche! You’d be surprised how many “new” games miss out more than half the points on this list, usually because they strive too hard for realism or think their target audience is too simple to understand basic gaming concepts.

Looking forwards to this one.

27. silkvg247

@21 Ironically I played the original Doom when there was a Steam ID sale, and after a bit of tweaking to get high def textures and mouselook working I was hooked for 3 hours straight.. which is more than a FPS has gripped me in the past few years. Only exception is borderlands, LOVE THAT GAME (needs to have moar secrets tho!) :p

28. Ireland Michael

I’m not saying it puts *you* in a niche. I was referring specifically to the kind of hardcore PC fanboys who act like the whole Doom / Quake period of PC game was some sort of gaming renaissance, when it really wasn’t.

Erth thinks it was some sort of niche. It wasn’t. They were all over the place, and they’re just as overbearing and unoriginal as the CoD kiddies of today. They’re not the special little snowflakes they think they were.

29. silkvg247

I *am* a hardcore PC fangirl and I do miss the days of Quake.. well specifically Quake 2 and beyond which was my era.

But my point was these fanboys/girls/aliens aren’t just wearing rose tinted glasses, game design itself has taken a turn for the worse as of late, you only need to compare the new duke to the old to see that. better graphics.. worse.. everything else.

Quake 4; crap. Doom 3; crap. HL2; ok, pale shadow of original because started to take itself way too seriously. Brink; crap, where’s the single player anyway? Duke; crap.

The older games?

Quake 2; awesome. HL1 & HLDM & TFC: full of win. Duke 3D: epic. Serious Sam: mental fun. Painkiller: Gripping, dark, fun.

All games bar HL1 have everything on aformentioned list. All new games do not.

So it’s not so much the fact they are older, or indeed that we’re old ;) but the fact that they had the right combination of gameplay mechanics to keep the player interested.

Honestly the one biggest thing for me is secrets – something to find in a game instantly stops it being all about getting from A to B in a neverending stream of samey levels, and more about exploration, fun and rewards.

As for the unreal games, somewhere in between. There is no singleplayer to speak of but I will admit I used to love multiplay UT2004 just because the vehicles were fun.

Anyway I just looked at the UK pricing for Hard Reset and I’m now miffed. Over £20 isn’t a good price, especially when it’s only $26 in the states? Crazy exchange rates once again :(

30. viralshag

@29, Just checking I have Hard Reset showing as £20 on Steam. Unless you mean a hard copy?

31. silkvg247

@30 it’s £20.69 which is apparently with a 10% discount:

Dunno if we’re at cross purposes here but I’m saying it’s overpriced compared to the states price in USD..

32. YoungZer0

@24: No i didn’t. But that’s some amazing feature.

@29: Wow, you really are the female counterpart to Erthazus, aren’t you?

33. Ireland Michael

@32 The difference is, she appears to have half a brain and can actually make a fair point.

She seems more than capable of expressing her personal opinion without coming off as an overbearing, condescending ass.

34. YoungZer0

@33: I wasn’t serious. I have seen some of her comments, sometimes good arguments, but this isn’t one of those examples. It’s pretty clear that Nostalgia is a huge factor here.

How do i know this? Because i haven’t played those games back then, (exceptions are HL which i didn’t enjoy and Painkiller which i found stupid, even with my young age) if i did now, i wouldn’t enjoy them. Not one bit.

If i play Vagrant Story now, i get a game with a fantastic story, amazing cutscenes, deep characters, beautiful and amazing combat, breathtaking art-direction and bad graphics.

35. Gurdil

@34 Actually, I think silkvg247 has a point. She made it pretty clear it wasn’t nostalgia. It’d appear that you two don’t look for the same things in a game, that’s it. I’m quite young (23) but I played all those games you’re talking about (except Painkiller, I don’t even know what this is, sorry) and I quite agree with her, some features tend to disappear. Now I’m not saying that today’s games are bad, they’re just different. And I’m not saying all old games were good either, that’d be a ridiculous statement… But you gotta admit that, especially in the FPS area, games nowadays tend to copy each other and add one minor original feature and, doing so, all go the realistic and “on rail” route. That’s not necessarily bad but some people prefer over-the-top experiences.
    Anyway, I got bored of FPSes a few years ago and be it old ones or new ones, I just don’t have much fun with them anymore so…

36. silkvg247

@34 Isn’t your vagrant story example saying you’re just as guilty of nostalgica? Or was that your point? ;)

I completely agree that nostalgica is a factor, but I can (and do) go back and play some of those games. Painkiller and serious sam have been recently played, albeit serious sam was partly due to the re-released HD shininess.

If you found Painkiller “silly” I guess you feel the same about serious sam and duke; i.e. arcade style FPS games all about ridiculous guns, lots of monsters, and (importantly!) lots of secrets.

Where nostalgica doesn’t play a part is..well.. regarding my main point about secrets. Nowt to do with age of the game there; I think exploration should have it’s rewards and missing that quite basic gameplay principle automatically leaves a huge hole in your game. This is talking purely about single player; if you only have waves of AI to defeat and nothing exciting to explore and find, boredom rapidly sets in (for me at least).

There’s one game that I’ll admit didn’t need “secrets” to keep me engrossed and that was the original F.E.A.R.; Loved it due to the atmosphere; they pulled it off perfectly imho.