Deus Ex: Human Revolution – Your Guide to Guides

Wednesday, 31st August 2011 07:01 GMT By Brenna Hillier

In between torrents of praise for Deus Ex: Human Revolution, we’re hearing cries for help. Here’s a map to some of the best guides, FAQs, and Wiki entries available.

GET ON BOARD THE HYPE

Enjoying massive hype thanks to series history and critical acclaim.

Considered the first major release in the holiday crunch.

Ousted Zumba from months of dominating the UK charts.

Causing a global epidemic of rage-induced strokes thanks to controversial boss design.

Available now on OnLive, PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

This guide is spoiler free, but the links contained herein may not be. Think carefully before you go looking for help, and remember – passing obstacles on your own is almost always more rewarding.

General help
To get you started, our friends at games.on.net have not only produced this fantastic visual guide to the best augmentations, but also individual assessments of the game’s four central design “pillars”: Stealth, Combat, Hacking, and Social.

Meanwhile, Gamespy offers this “quick-and-dirty” guide to becoming a better player and adjusting the the unusual cover and stealth systems.

For more extensive assistance, the loyal fans over at the Deus Ex Wikia have done a stunning amount of work compiling information about the game.

There’s plenty more to explore, both in the game’s lore, and in practicalities – like Weapons and Augmentations.

Walkthroughs
If you’re stuck, you may want to head straight to the work-in-progress Walkthrough for advice.

If videos are more your thing, check out this massive walkthrough from a dedicated fanatic called DeusEx4Ever – you’ll find part one on YouTube. Visit the channel and playlist options to find the section you’re struggling with.

Check out rival offerings from IGN‘s – the site has also compiled a mini-wiki on the game – Gamespot‘s, Gamefront‘s, and the first of no doubt many on the ever reliable Gamefaqs.

The same author has also produced an eBooks Locations guide, ensuring you don’t miss a single beat in the story, while Gamefront has a Conversation guide to make sure you see everything availkable there, too.

For the ‘cheevo hounds, RipTen’s compiled a useful list of instructions for nabbing every last one.

For specific strategies, G4 is working on a stealth playthrough, while in a similar vein, MTV Multiplayer has a non-lethal guide for those chasing the Pacifist achievement or trophy.

Guide to defeating the first boss.

Those bosses
The place where most players seem to fall down in their first playthrough of Human Revolution is when encountering bosses. Some guides suggest turning the difficulty down, but there’s usually a bit of a trick to it you’ll figure out if you experiment.

If you’re stuck, check out this softly-narrated video guide to taking down the first boss, and Giant Bomb’s more enthusiastic treatment of the second and third and final bosses, while this guide from IGN offers general advice for taking down all of them.

If there’s anything else you’re looking for, let us know and we’ll try to rustle it up. But here’s a little advice gleaned from our scavenger hunt – learn to play Deus Ex: Human Revolution as it was meant to be played. You can’t treat it like Call of Honour: Medal of Duty et al and expect the same results. Enjoy mastering the cover and stealth mechanics, and experiment with augmentations. Above all, have fun!

1. triggerhappy

Nice feature. Brenna, I take it your playing this? Im still only really at the beginning, not had as much time as I hoped to fire in to it over the weekend, but im off work for the next 2 days and plan on making a dent in it.

2. Brenna Hillier

I am playing, but I feel like I’ve only just scratched the surface myself. Some people are saying you only really get it on your second run through! All my mates are playing it – and everyone’s complaining about the “horrible bosses”, hence this.

3. Talkar

an easy way to kill all the bosses, which by the way all have the same amount of health, is to stun them with either an EMP or gas grenade, then get up close and use the typhoon a couple of times.

4. triggerhappy

Ive played the whole first section twice just to get used to the shooting mechanics and stuff, then in the first mission I didn’t do that ‘secondary objective’ and that kinda put a downer on it so im re-doing that too lol. I’ll break real ground tomorrow though, well today actually. Yes looking forward to they boss fights :P

5. Phoenixblight

I have already beaten the game its alright, the entire story is mostly on rails only one choice within the game actually effected game play and made a boss almost damn near impossible to beat.

Also you get so many prixis points that you can get all the abilities you like. For example I was able to hack, break through walls, stealth, jump 9 ft and there is really no need for guns other than for the bosses thats where you need weapons.

Really after playing this game I can’t see where this is like the original other than the superficial things I have mentioned. Btw so much FF reference in this game its practically an ad placement for Square.

6. DrDamn

Same here. Done first mission twice now, first time all the hostages died before I even got there and the woman died at the end too. Did much better the second time as no one died and I used non-lethal all the way through.

Which is why I’m confused when people say decisions don’t effect the game. There are two clear examples in the play through of the first level as to differences based on decisions and what I did. What were people actually after here?

7. YoungZer0

I’m still pissed i killed that one Chinese mobster. Without him, i would’ve actually managed a playthrough where i didn’t kill anybody. Actually managed to save my pilot without killing the horde of foes.

8. viralshag

@YoungZer0,

I did too :)

Saying that, I did see one dead body but I’m sure that was from the mech blowing up… I hope that doesn’t count as a lethal kill as I stun gunned him first. :/

9. JRNO

Bosses are easy as can be, especially if you have the pre-order stuff.
    Hell, I killed the second last boss just by blowing 4 or 5 rounds from the pre-order grenade launcher on him the second the boss battle had begun.