DICE: Don’t worry about Battlefield 3 on console

Tuesday, 30th August 2011 18:06 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Battlefield 3 executive producer Patrick Bach has told VG247 that, while the shooter’s PC version is graphically “better” than its console siblings, gamers should stop worrying about the console editions.

Bach was responding to a question about whether or not the 360 version will be playable at the upcoming Eurogamer Expo.

While Bach wasn’t sure which version would be shown, he stressed that there’s nothing to fret about in terms of the TV SKUs.

“We are showing more and more console, and the reason for that is that we want to show people that there is a console version,” he said.

“We have shown it on several occasions and people seem to be happy with it. Of course, the super-high-end PC version is better when considering the detail of the visuals, which is kind of what we were striving for: adding that height to the high-end PC.

“We want to show off the console version, and people shouldn’t be too worried about it. We are shipping it on console.”

We were given hands-on time with the PS3 version in Sweden today, playing the co-op mission shown at gamescom earlier this month.

Bach added that the game’s beta will happen “soon,” and will definitely take place “before the game ships,” with a fellow DICE staffer pointing out it has previously been announced for September.

Eurogamer Expo takes place in London on September 22-25, and Battlefield 3 is expected to be the most prominent game of the entire event.

Battlefield 3 is due on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in late October.

1. Yoshi

I’m not, I’m worried about Battlefield 3 on PC :/

2. daytripper

not really a clear answer about the xbox version and why they are not showing it, why cant they just show it? having said that, if it does turn out the ps3 version is better than i’ll go for that probably as i cant afford a decent pc set up at the moment.

3. Patrick Garratt

They didn’t specifically say whether or not the 360 version would be there, but there was shaking of heads. I reckon it’ll be PS3 game.

4. ItsFade

I have no fears about the console version. Bad Company 2 played and looked excellent on consoles so I have no doubts that Battlefield 3 will do the same.

5. Aimless

I don’t think there’s any reason to worry about the 360 version, it’s likely just a marketing decision to focus on the PS3 build; I suspect it isn’t a complete coincidence that you only see CoD demoed on Microsoft’s machine.

6. DSB

@5 Fair point, but even with your argument, it would make a lot of sense to at least include the 360, given that that’s where the biggest shooter audience is.

Maybe they’ve given up on reaching that audience, but that wouldn’t add up with Ricitiellos ambitions to my mind, at least.

7. ItsFade

Yes I think EA has a partnership with Sony. Not sure but I believe they announced it at E3 a couple of years back that they would focus on the Playstation 3 and give it exclusive content for various games like Dead Space 2 (Dead Space: Extraction), Medal of Honor (Medal of Honor: Frontlines HD) etc. No idea if that partnership is still ongoing though.

8. tenthousandgothsonacid

How did it look on ps3 today Pat ?

9. freedoms_stain

I’m not worried about the quality of the game, I’m worried about the quality of the servers and whether EA will force Dice to butcher the netcode to run on cheaper setups like they did with BC2.

10. Aimless

@6 They are including the 360: dedicated publications are still covering the game, it’s coming out the same day and is pretty much guaranteed to review well. CoD isn’t demoed on PS3 pre-release and the Xbox gets DLC earlier, that doesn’t stop it from selling millions of copies on Sony’s console.

The shooter audience on PS3 is plenty big enough, and it’s a market that Activision isn’t directly appealing to. Why would EA go head to head with them when they could target where their opposition is weakest?

11. majicship

Anybody download the multiplayer demo trailer on XBL? If that is the Xbox gameplay beign shown I don’t think anybody has anythign to worry about. It makes CoD look like an arcade game – oh I forgot…

12. freedoms_stain

@11, the Caspian Border footage? PC, 1080p, 60fps, you’re not getting that on xbox.

13. DSB

@10 Coverage still isn’t showing people what they’ll be getting for their money on the console.

I doubt that the people who harbor the kind of scepticism needed to worry about developer PR and a missing 360 version will waste their time with fanboy-oriented mags.

For whatever reason Sony hold onto their PSN stats, but I’m pretty sure that CoD is the most played shooter on that console as well. The only difference in composition is likely to be more people playing their exclusives, but ultimately it’s the same people, playing the same things, and is not likely to be more than just a smaller majority.

14. cgalla2000

@8 Well until Pat sees the question, I can comment on that!

The PS3 version played really nicely actually, much better than I was expecting. The controls were nice and responsive, pretty much as you would expect from a modern day shooter. I’m pretty sure that I didn’t have to think about which button I was pressing really. The graphics are impressive, the lighting engine alone is at times spectacular from the dimly lit apartments to the intense firefight in a near by street. Oh and the sound is excellent as ever!

15. Patrick Garratt

@8 – Yeah, what Colin said. It’s great. We’ll have some impressions up for you soon.

16. tenthousandgothsonacid