DmC a true, “intense” collaboration with Capcom

Friday, 26th August 2011 04:23 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Capcom and Ninja Theory have both said the latest Devil May Cry game, DmC, is very much a product of both houses, not a case of the developer working independently – especially when it comes to combat.

Speaking both for himself and for series producer Motohide Eshiro, Capcom Japan’s David Chrissop said that DmC is “not a collaboration in name only”.

“We really are working together, injecting as much Capcom know-how as we can,” he told Capcom Unity .

“It’s a fairly intense collaboration, particularly when you get down to the combat,” Alex Jones from Capcom US, the game’s co-producer, chimed in.

“There’re minute discussions about shaving frames, and ‘no no, have you tried hit stop this way?’ So it is very much like a symposium of Street Fighter-level combat stuff when we’re over there.

“The combat is at the heart of any stellar DMC experience.”

Ninja Theory’s creative director, Tameem Antoniades, agreed.

“I guess you could say that combat is the foundation of Devil May Cry. Combat is what we’ve been putting most of our efforts in so far.

“When we into this game Capcom was very keen to impart that knowledge.”

Antoniades joked that Motohide had a gun pointed at his back “to make sure we nail the combat, the timing, the fluidity of the controls and make it feel like a Capcom game.”

However, Capcom didn’t pick Ninja Theory at random, but entere dinto a collaboration with the developer because of its particular strengths, as Jones pointed out.

“Having said that, [Ninja Theory is] amazing at story and mood and atmosphere, and we’ve given them full latitude to make the game they wanna make in that sphere. So in a lot of ways it’s been a very productive two-way relationship with us leveraging our strengths and we’re pretty happy with where we are at this point,” he concluded.

DmC is expected on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 sometime next year.

1. Ireland Michael

As long as they can get the combat down, that’s all I really care about.

2. YoungZer0

From what i’ve read, this might be the best combat in a dmc game yet.

3. StolenGlory

Indeed I cannot wait. At the same time however, it troubles me that it might only be yourself and I that are stoked for this remake.

4. viralshag

@3, Nah, you can count me in too. I like the change of style and look, nothing wrong with taking something which was getting a bit tired and trying to inject a bit of new life into it.

I definitely have my eye on the game.

5. Ireland Michael

A string of people looking forward to the game?

Well, that certainly makes a refreshing change…

6. YoungZer0

@5: Indeed. It’s funny actually, the more the developers show and talk, the more people seem to be convinced that it actually might be a good game.

Just look at the rating on the last two interviews with the developer that Gametrailers posted. Last time i checked it was around 8.9 out of 10. And people still complaining about the game received thumbdowns.

7. viralshag

I think a lot of the time when gamers see a change that deviates in the smallest way from what they want, they can’t do anything but complain about things.

Which, in some ways, is fair enough. But I wish there was a little more try-it-before-you-knock-it when it comes to the games industry.

8. YoungZer0

@7: Which is why we get some many games that are basically the same.

9. TD_Monstrous69

This is one of my must buys of 2012. I really like the new look Dante, even if a lot of people don’t. I thought it was really annoying on how much shit Ninja Theory got for changing Dante’s look, and I’m glad they stood by it (unlike Sucker Punch with Cole’s re-design, who caved into fan-boy anger). A video I saw recently for the combat in DmC, it does actually look really fluid, and lot of fun to play. Hope they release a demo for this before it releases, so I could give it a try.