Weak PS3 UK performance “something we want to address,” says new SCEE boss

Thursday, 25th August 2011 10:08 GMT By Johnny Cullen

While PlayStation 3 has had a fair amount of success in mainland Europe, new Sony Computer Entertainment Europe boss Jim Ryan has said it’s looking to “address” the hardware’s weaker performances in the UK.

It follows a price-cut for the console in Cologne last week, down to £199/$249/€249.

“Getting to £199 is fantastic in the UK. It’s a real milestone. UK is one of the territories where we have to do better,” Ryan, who replaces Andy House at the top of SCEE from September 1, told MCV at gamescom last week.

“Whether you approach the UK from the perspective of our momentum, or the perspective of the competitive landscape, for us the UK is more like US than continental Europe. If you look across the PAL territory, where typically we outsell our competitors by around 50 per cent on a weekly basis, it’s inverted in the UK. That is something we want to address.”

Ryan is hopeful that PS3 will begin to hit mass market now its hit the magic £199 barrier, as had PS1 and PS2 before it.

“History has shown us that once you get to £199 you hit lift off. We can do some serious business and this kick-starts that. Getting to £199 was a defining moment for the PSone and PS2 – this will be no different.“

1. OrbitMonkey

Well good look with that :)

2. SplatteredHouse

Since early on in this generation of consoles, it has been well read fact that whilst continental Europe is predominately Sony territory, the UK market in the main differs strongly, with aggressive Microsoft positioning. I guess my question is why only now that there is a new head of Sony Europe do we see this acknowledgement, but more importantly, what do they intend to DO about it?

Do they have some tectonic shifting tactic that wasn’t revealed at Gamescom? Words are good. Action matters, although I take the intent at face value.

3. Blerk

I don’t think Sony do badly in the UK, they just don’t do as well as Microsoft do. “Weak” is probably the wrong term to use.

4. viralshag

Wow, Sony not doing well in the UK comes as bit of a shock to me. Using my regular friendship group as a mini survey, 9 out of 10 of us have a PS3, 2 out of 10 have a 360, 1 has a gaming PC (me) and 1 person has nothing at all.

Pretty much all of them missed the 360 to wait for the PS3. I would have thought this was the general trend of things…

5. RandomTiger

@4 My friends are the exact opposite. The only guy who bought a PS3 on launch didn’t even take it out the box for a couple of weeks, though he is a bit odd.

The playstation brand appears to synonymous with console in parts of the EU. In Poland for example non gamers at least would be likely to refer to a 360 as being a ‘playstation’.

6. get2sammyb

@3: I agree. I think ‘weak’ is the wrong term too. PS3 does *fine* in UK, it just doesn’t seem to do quite as well as the 360. I don’t think it’s an unsurmountable hurdle for them climb, but I’m not entirely sure what more they can do really.

Marketing has definitely improved in the UK over the last couple of years (though could still be better).

7. Dralen

@3 Well said.

8. silkvg247

Delayed launch dates, inflated prices and pissed off consumers. Start treating us as equals, you’d be the first.

For example recent price cuts are as usual inflated here. $249 = about £152 NOT £175. Thanks.

That said, I’ve owned a PS3 for some time :p

9. DrDamn

I agree that in general Sony don’t give enough priority to the European market in general. It’s one of their biggest but feels like we get the arse end of most things. That said £152 + 20% VAT = £182.40. US prices never include sales tax as it varies by state.

Sony need to have a better global strategy. It seems like SCEJ, SCEA and SCEE are too separate and independent. It’s a global market place, treat it like one.

10. SplatteredHouse

“Sony need to have a better global strategy” *applause*

And, they would, too; if WWS didn’t stop at development.
    I thought that when Ken K stepped down, and then certainly once Kazuo Hirai rose to head SCEI from Japan, that we would start to see more global focus.
    That Ken Kutaragi passing the baton would usher a new era (a much needed new era) where either the regional businesses worked together very much more smoothly, or one or more were absorbed in to another group.

Jim Ryan it’s said has much experience of many years throughout SCEE. Jack Tretton’s well versed in the ways of American branch, AS is Kaz, but yet Sony is still content to cling to outdated practices, that Microsoft must take SO much advantage from them just by not having to deal with. In an analogy of a well-kept machine, Sony on publishing is in need of oil.

Someone should put the question about whether its time for a shake-up in this way to the Sony execs.

11. Razor

Only leaving it five years too late.

Good job, Sony :)