The Space Marine demo on PS3 – HD video and narration

Wednesday, 24th August 2011 21:39 GMT By Patrick Garratt

Following the release of the 360 and PC versions of Relic’s Space Marine demo yesterday, THQ’s gone live with a PS3 taster. Watch in HD while I have kittens about how completely awesome it is.

Watch this. Then download it if you haven’t already: 360, PC and PS3 versions are all available now. And then pre-order it.

This demo, along with the release of Deus Ex: Human Revolution this week, signals the start of the triple-A season proper. Get pumped.

Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine is slated for release on PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on September 6 in the US and September 9 in the UK.

1. Crab of Thunder

I played it and rather liked it, they really have nailed what being a space marine is. The weapons and melee feel good, if a little unsophisticated. It’s slightly repetitive but generally good, solid fun.

Obviously Fans of the universe will get more enjoyability out of it.

Don’t forget that there’s also another mission on the demo where you get to test out the jetpack-thing.

2. Patrick Garratt

I really loved it. As you can probably tell.

*excitable child*

3. triggerhappy

Love the way you get COVERED in blood. Nice. Hope you get to wear Terminator armour at some point…

4. Patrick Garratt

The Fury thing’s wicked. This and Gears 3 and I’m properly set.

5. Crab of Thunder

@4 Damn right, these two games sit perfectly for me and are gonna be my September picks. Trying to limit myself due to the sheer amount of quality titles releasing this year :)

6. Dannybuoy

Pat, I’m not being funny (well I am). But your voice reminds me of Keith from the office http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDsfzJXGAo8&feature=youtube_gdata_player

7. Patrick Garratt

I am gaming’s Keith. I’m pretty sure I win something for that.

8. Dannybuoy

A scotch egg?

9. majicship

I’ve been salivating over this for ages and saving up like a kid gone mad with its pocket money. I downloaded the demo from XBL last night (you can’t put a pin between the Xbox and PS3 versions by the look of it) and was playing on ‘normal’ but was constantly getting killed in action. I also hit a massive game breaking glitch after upgrading to the the awesome power axe. I got stuck in a wall which reminded me a little of Driver on the PS1. I played the demo again today on ‘easy’ and reckon that is the best setting for me in order to get to grips with it as it’s pretty hard. As a ‘mature’ gamer I missed out on the whole Warhammer Space Marine thing but would always grab a sneaky table game with a girlfriend’s kid brother from time to time. I love this game. Glitch or not, I’m about to go and put it on pre order and just as soon as the wife toddles off to bed I’m going back on for some jet pack back pack action.

10. Hybridpsycho

Played the PC demo earlier, pre-ordered it right away.

It’s fkn awesome.

11. The_Deleted

It’s fucking great. I’m already excited for a sequel!!!

12. DSB

It didn’t seem like a big deal to me. It feels like a mix between Mad World and a japanese beat ‘em up.

13. Ireland Michael

@12 …this is a bad thing?

14. freedoms_stain

My first impressions were “this is gash”, the lack of any sort if tutorial makes it pretty hard to get on board with the game, you have to give careful scrutiny to the control scheme or you’ll just get butt fucked quickly, even then I got butt fucked a few times trying to figure things out.

Once I got the hang of shit I started to enjoy it more. Will I buy it on release? No chance, but I could see myself picking it up cheap sometime down the line.

15. DSB

@13 Excellent point. I just think it’s too early to tell.

Mad World is awesome for the first three or four hours you spend with it, but once you get used to the violence, there’s just not enough there.

The fact that the demo kept doing rinse and repeat on hordes of enemies, without anything to really spice it up, just makes me think that I should wait and see.

It’s good enough for what it is, I guess.

16. LOLshock94

closest thing to gears of war mudafuckas

17. Telepathic.Geometry

Hmm, looks decent. /researches

18. arabassassin94

demo was fun and so was the jet pack game is a little repetitive but who cares ordered it on steam for free darksiders also im happy this game plays maximum on my pc but the demo doesnt have 1080p support

19. Shubb9

@18 Er, yes it does. you just need to change the aspect ratio first to 16:9 the select 1920×1080. If you change the aspect ratio to 8:5 it also does 1920×1200, which is better. The backgrounds look a little bland but the character models are crisp and well detailed. Going nuts with the Power Axe is heaps of fun. Pre-ordered.

20. DSB

@19 Quite arguably though, that menu is shit. Making people choose aspect ratio before resolution? What kind of retard came up with that?

21. viralshag

So I finally got around to playing this last night, have to say: I loved it.

It looks and feels fantastic and I really enjoyed the small amount of weapons I got to try out in the demo. Power Axe FTW. The sound of the guns firing feels powerful, I just really enjoyed the whole lot.

I did find playing on hard was quite challenging, at first I was losing more health than I was gaining while trying to do the finishers. After a while I got use to it balancing the use of the weapons I had and using Fury.

Last thing: Mark Strong as a Space Marine is also totally FTW. I could imagine his head sticking out the top of a power suit… A film studio needs to get on this ASAP.