Deus Ex: Human Revolution director bemoans flawed AI

Wednesday, 24th August 2011 02:42 GMT By Brenna Hillier

It’s going down a treat with reviewers, but Deus Ex: Human Revolution has at least one unhappy critic – it own director.

“I’d be lying if I said the AI meets all of our expectations but I think it’s normal that every developer has something they’d like to do differently,” director Jean-Francois Dugas said in the latest issue of Play, as reported by NowGamer.

“That being said, when you look at the type of game we’re making, where stealth and combat need to cohabit as naturally as possible, I think overall gamers will be satisfied with what we did. It’s not perfect but it makes for interesting gameplay situations.”

Reviewers have been forgiving of Human Revolution’s problems; although the AI has indeed drawn some criticism, the game currently holds an 89 Metacritic average on all three platforms.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution is due on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 this Friday. It follows on from the legendary first-person RPG series of the early 2000′s.

1. Phoenixblight

Played two hours already and I am not yet enthralled in this game. Nothing about this game is enticing me Long load time 30-45 second, shitty VA and animation. The HUD is really awful especially with the highlighting. I want it on but not as intensive as it is. THe AI is heavily scripted nothing like Halo with an emergent system.

Also the environment just seems really static and not a lot to interact with.

2. TerraZet

@1 Sounds like you bought it on a console. What did you expect? Deus Ex on consoles is a stupid choice. (even if the previous were on console)

3. Phoenixblight

Nope didn’t buy it. Got it through Gamefly. Even if it was on the PC this is how the game would come out. Mods are never the saving grace of a game. Good try though.

4. hitnrun

The AI isn’t great, but a) if it were better, the game would be impossible b) it *is* supposed to be a throwback to the original Deus Ex, which had its own flavor of combat.

@2: True. Can’t really complain, though. Games like this are only possible on the PC nowadays because millions of console players shell out for crappy ports because…I’m not sure why.

That said, I am getting some pretty awful load times as well.

5. Talkar

Weird, my game only loads for 5-7 seconds. There was one time when it was about 11 seconds. I’m running in dx11 mode, with everything except for vsync, crancked up.

6. YoungZer0

@3: Clearly you never played a Bethesda Game with Mods.

7. endgame

my god Phoenixblight u’r such a f**king troll.

8. viralshag

I would just like to say I hate the fact that America would have been playing this for nearly a week before me. That’s what I’m not happy about! Down with varied international release dates!

9. Fin

You can say “fucking”, nobody will be offended.

Nah, it was only released yesterday in America. To have worldwide (English-language at least) release dates within 3 days is pretty good, in my opinion.

10. viralshag

@9 That’s true, I think it’s just because I have plans for this weekend now which will cut into playing time so I’m just feeling bitter about it :P haha

11. Noodlemanny

I’ve bought the game on console just simply because I know I’ll be able to run it. My PC will be able to run it but I’m going to have to set the resolution right down and that never looks good. Although mods are always fun. I remember having particular fun with Oblivion. Anyway there aren’t going to be particularly massive differences between versions. So its a port but their still going to make sure its a good port because that’s where most of their money comes from.

Anyway I’ve never really been bothered by bad AI before. As long as they don’t see me though walls or behind them and shoot at me when I’m shooting at them, I couldn’t care less.

12. endgame

oh ffs ppl I’ve just bought a 600 euro laptop which runs NFS Hot Pursuit and a 1100 euro desktop that runs even Witcher 2 maxed out (at 1920 by 1080) at minimum 60 fps and I reckon that u could buy a good PC with ~500-600 euros. if u choose a console over that than f**k me u’r losing a lot.

13. AHA-Lambda

^^ Christ, WHO ****ING CARES!!!! >:(

14. Phoenixblight

I actually have and those don’t save a game I play the game as the developers intended and I rate them appropriately based on that. All Bathesda games I have enjoyed as vanilla so mods are used to enhance that enjoyment.

Deus Ex no mods will help me enjoy this game. Not unless there are mods to fix the crappy animation, lifeless enviornment, and crappy Voice acting.

The only thing mods could save is my issue with the hud but I could easily ignore those if I found the game enjoyable which I don’t yet but I am still playing it to see what everyone is enjoying about it.

Of course I am troll because I dislike a game. *rolls eyes*

15. HeavyD-Love

@1, I have to completely agree.

Am I supposed to be searching the counters, desks, etc for anything cause so far I’ve found nothing except what’s in lockers. I hate games like that cause you have this beautiful environment that you may as well just run right through/past, no reason to slow down other than encounters with people.

16. Phoenixblight

@15 Well you can mess with boxes and trashcans that seem to be randomly placed throughout the environments. The trashcans make a lot of noise and the NPCs completely ignore you if you mess with them in a room even when there is a patrol right outside the door.

17. endgame

@Phoenixblight no! u r a troll because in your stupid ignorance u dare to compare stone age tech with PC tech. let me enlighten u on something: we load instant or almost instant almost every game out there and we almost all of the time we have different GUI because of different free form control method.

18. mike8002

I’ve been playing this game for a day now and I think it’s shite. AI is indeed terrible, clunky environments, repetitive gameplay and don’t get me started on the boss so called battles

19. Phoenixblight

1) Learn to type no one will ever take you serious with your typing not like anyone would anyways.

2) I play on the PC most of the time the only time I don’t is when its a game that is exclusively on the console or when Gamefly sent me a game which they sent me Deus Ex.

And No the game handles the same in every which way did I ever mention anything about the controls being crap? No I never did. I am sure that the PC loads faster but there are far larger issues with the game than its loading.

20. DSB

The AI doesn’t bother me half as much as the writing. I could probably get past playing fetch with the AI just so I can smack them around, but Adam Jensen being cast as a fundamentally unintelligent, clueless individual, and the completely irratic behaviour of the NPCs due to the terrible writing job really saturates the game.

I guess at this point the writing is just so bad that I have to see where it goes next. It’s got the sense and sensibilities of a children’s drawing from 3rd grade.

“You punched me, but then you said you’re sorry, so now I love you again”. It’s that bad.

21. endgame

@19 I do not want to use capital letters at the beginning of each sentence! u don’t like it!? F**K OFF! :D