RAGE PS3 requires 8GB install

Tuesday, 23rd August 2011 01:35 GMT By Brenna Hillier

RAGE on PlayStation 3 will sport a wince-worthy mandatory install.

GamesRadar‘s translation of a PS Focus interview with id Software’s Tim Willits reports the strong contender for prettiest game ever will need 8GB of your precious PS3 HDD space.

The Xbox 360 version doesn’t require an install of course, but as usual it offers the option – at a whopping 22GB.

RAGE releases for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in early October.

1. ultramega

Pretty sure Carmack said this in his QuakeCon keynote.

2. lexph3re

I’m sure he did to but you know that most people were outraged to find out rage sports a 22gb download to the 360. And had to cover that first, then dramatize the 8gb install for ps3. You know but “of course the 360 doesn’t require a install” it’ll just be lower quality without the install

3. monty12345

Bad buzz.. What is it about the ps3 that makes it so difficult to run it off a disc? something to do with the ram or something?

If they can run uncharted off of a disc, the best looking game around, then surely they can run this..

4. ultramega

Yeah. But these are the limitations we have to live with when trying to play open world games on consoles (sadly).

It’s because of BluRay’s slow read speed, I believe.

5. jiujinwoshizml

Come go and see, will not regret it Oh look

6. aprotosis

@2 “most people”? I don’t know anyone that gives a rip about a 22GB optional install for this game. The 8GB install for PS3 is mentioned differently because not only is it not optional, but so many PS3 games these days require an install that it is becomming a problem. HDD space is more of a premium. This isn’t a conspiracy.

7. cgalla2000

@6 “but so many PS3 games these days require an install that it is becomming a problem.”

Lol?

8. AHA-Lambda

“the strong contender for prettiest game ever”

O__o? I wouldnt even say it comes close personally =/

9. Gekidami

^ Indeed, the last trailer really left me scratching my head.

10. Dr.Ghettoblaster

8 and 9, really? I can’t wait to be blown away by this shit on my 50″ Panasonic plasma. For a graphics whore like myself, this shit is like the next Crysis.