DmC’s Dante is “more of a street brawler” than his older self

Tuesday, 23rd August 2011 05:06 GMT By Brenna Hillier

The callow young Dante seen in Ninja Theory’s upcoming DmC is far from the slick sophisticate of previous Devil May Cry games.

“Growing up in a situation where the demons are out to kill him; society in general, controlled by the demons, is out to crush him; growing up on the streets… So, he’s more of a street brawler,” creative director Tameem Antoniades told The US PlayStation Blog.

“His moves are less refined than you would have seen in previous DMCs.”

That’s not to say Dante is a noob, of course.

“I wouldn’t say he’s green and naive, I’d just say he doesn’t give a fuck,” the developer commented.

Antoniades said Dante’s new emphasis on aerial combos had gone down well with Capcom, who had been looking to spice up the game’s combat a little. Master the new system, and the game will let you know.

“The music responds to your ranking system, so the better you play, the more layers of music kick in, and if you get to the top ranks, then the screaming vocals kick in and it kind of affects you when you play, because you know you’re doing well,” he said.

The full interview also includes a discussion of the game’s dynamic environments, and is embedded below.

DmC is the fifth game in the Devil May Cry series, a reboot of the protagonist’s backstory, and the first to be developed outside Capcom. It’s expected on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in 2012.

Thanks, Siliconera.

1. madnessHero

It’s a shame honestly, the music idea seems like a really cool original concept, too bad I don’t give a rat’s ass anymore about this game though. Here’s to dmc6 going back to kamiya

2. Edo

Are you sure that this is coming for PC as well?

3. YoungZer0

@1: Go play your shitty Bayonetta if you like your games to be stupid and embarrassing. These are the right people for the right job. Actually caring for characters and the world. People corrupted by the demons? That’s deeper than any DMC Title ever before.

“I wouldn’t say he’s green and naive, I’d just say he doesn’t give a fuck,”

That’s the way i like it. Hope to see some information about the story soon.

4. TerraZet

@3 Full retard, man. Full retard.

5. pha1r

Ninja Theory changing a character?
    That should work well.
    *cough* Samus Aran *cough*

6. YoungZer0

@4: Sorry if i hurt your feelings. But it’s the truth. Bayonetta is insanely stupid. I’m sick of people complaining about the new DMC without any fucking reason.

@5: Ouch. Ninja Theory =/= Team Ninja.

7. StolenGlory

@6 I personally enjoy Bayonetta a fair bit (stupidity and purile sexism aside), but i’m also a massive fan of Ninja Theory and if I did have to choose anyone to do a new Devil May Cry i’d choose them.

Over Capcom again no less.

Devil May Cry has been stagnant as far as i’m concerned and if anyone can inject some fucking soul into this franchise it’s NT.

Oh and dibs on them roping Andy Serkis back in for some mo-cap and voice acting too. Another tick in the box if i’m honest.

8. freedoms_stain

The action in Bayonetta is as good as any in its genre, comparisons will always be made because the creative direction came from the same dude who did the original (and best imo) DMC.

9. DaMan

Oi, Bayonetta is satirical and psychedelic, it isn’t sexist in any way. It pretty much playfully does the same those jrpgs ‘ve tried to do for ages with their destiny fighting, certain deity slaying heroes.

10. StolenGlory

@8,9

Yeah true. Sexist was the wrong word to use in hindsight, but regardless, I have a lot of love for the game indeed.

11. daytripper

i think this game looks good, don’t care what petitions are written and by whom. i enjoyed heavenly sword and enslaved – i’m hoping i enjoy this.

12. daytripper

@7 andy serkis?? great news!

13. StolenGlory

@12 It wasn’t confirmed, I was just hoping for it :)

14. madnessHero

@3 So I can’t have my own opionin about a game? fucking idiot i swear. Instead of bayonetta i think I’ll play dmc 4 again just to spite you. Ninja theory is good for a story but devil may cry was never about that, nor did it need that. Why don’t don’t you see mario games with final fantasy esque stories? cause they aren’t needed for the games to be good and thats my main issue here, if ninja theory wants to do what they’re doing fine, but just stay away from messing with canon.As for the whole “peoplecorrupted by demons” thing, pretty much every dam human in the dmc series so far pretty much have already been corrupted demons so by your logic every dmc game has been “deep”

“I wouldn’t say he’s green and naive, I’d just say he doesn’t give a fuck,” Guess what??? dante never gave a fuck in the first 4 games even 3 when he was like a teen

I’m not bashing the fact you like this game, so have some dam respect

15. Dark

I’m sure they will change his name to “donte” now

anyway when it comes to gameplay,ninja theory is mediocre dev.

16. Ireland Michael

@5 Uuuuh… Ninja Theory didn’t change Samus Aran. Team Ninja did. They’re completely different developers.

I for one am really looking forward to this. The combat looks really solid from the videos, and that music idea sounds awesome. I mean, I don’t expect it play as well as Bayonetta, but I trust Ninja Theory’s calibre so far, and I haven’t been let down by them yet.

I loved the old Devil May Cry games, and I’m fully aware that this is a huge step away from the originals, but see, here’s the thing… I don’t care.

Why?

Because people complain about sequelitis all the damn time, yet when someone does something new, they complain that it’s not the same. DmC4 more than adequately proved – like a giant stage light shining right in your face – that the franchise in its current form had run its course.

17. Dralen

@16 That would be true if this actually looked radically different from the orginal’s, but the gameplay looks exactly the same to me. The only thing that seems to have changed from my perspective is the backstory and character’s; which was the best part of the DMC games in my opinion.

18. YoungZer0

@14: Oh, you! How can you play DMC4, oh that makes me so angry! Grrr! Seriously though, i don’t give a shit. if you like your games stupid, so be it. But DMC always had a shitload of potential, be it characters or world. It needed more depth. How can you praise the characters then there actually isn’t much to them? That’s pretty shallow and on the level of a Twilight-Fan. Usually not using Twilight to bring something down, but it actually fits quite well.

Capcom – as always – unable to deliver in story and characters did the best things they could: Give it to someone who actually cares.

So the DMC Series was never about the story. And that is a huge mistake. Like i said, huge potential. Never put to good use.

“Why don’t don’t you see mario games with final fantasy esque stories? cause they aren’t needed for the games to be good and thats my main issue here, if ninja theory wants to do what they’re doing fine, but just stay away from messing with canon.”

So the DMC Series is equally to Mario in terms of Story now? Wow, i wouldn’t even go that far. Messing with the canon? F’ that! Have you even played any Capcom game? They take a dump on the canon every fucking time they produce a new game. Don’t believe me? Play Resident Evil. Read some background information about DMC and the origin of the white hair for example. Pictures of him being born with white hair. Story saying that his mother dyed the hair to protect him from Demons. There is no canon, just chaos.

Knew that Nero was Vergils son? No? Because they only said it in a interview. Knew that Vergil was actually the Dark Knight in DMC 1? No? Well, do some background check, because that’s the only place it’s mentioned. There isn’t much they CAN destroy. Anyway, it’s a reboot. If you’re unhappy with it: Blame Capcom, they wanted it this way. And it’s actually a damn fine decision. Their best in years.

“As for the whole “peoplecorrupted by demons” thing, pretty much every dam human in the dmc series so far pretty much have already been corrupted demons so by your logic every dmc game has been “deep””

He talks about people with power probably government employess, not just some cult or a lone jester. That alone shows us a picture of the world. We never saw that in any DMC Game. If you can’t admit that, don’t even bother replying.

“Guess what??? dante never gave a fuck in the first 4 games even 3 when he was like a teen”

Yes, he didn’t but that was never part of his character design. If Dante doesn’t give a fuck, why is he so overdressed? Like some Cosplayer. Top Hairstyle, Clean Clothes. Even as a teen. Character Design is very important to me. Just tell me what you think if you look at the old Dante. Do you see a guy who doesn’t give a shit? A – if we’re actually honest – Punk? No. Because Capcom never got that right. Characterization is a big part of Character-Design. If you look at the new Dante, you already can tell that he doesn’t give a shit. You can tell he’s struggling. From his haircut, to his dirty clothes, to his moves. It’s rough, less refined. Punk. Dante.

19. OrbitMonkey

Funny how gamers apparently all want innovations & change, just look at any COD thread & read the shit that gets for being *samey*.

Capcom decide to shake up one of their ip’s a little & listen to the over entitled gamers whine! Like I said Funny that o_O

20. Hatiko

One thing you got wrong. You find out Nelo Angelo is Vergil and Dante’s brother right after you defeat him for the final time in DMC1.