Analysts dismiss concerns of PS3 price cut impact on Vita sales

Tuesday, 23rd August 2011 00:10 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Although the PlayStation 3′s price cut now puts it in the same league as the upcoming PS Vita, analysts doubt consumers will be put off the portable.

“I don’t believe the PlayStation 3 price drop will impact the perceived value of the $249 Vita,” EEDAR’s Jesse Divnich said, speaking to IndustryGamers.

“With the growth of the tablet and smartphone market, I believe consumers are more likely to compare the $249 Vita to a $499 iPad tablet than a PlayStation 3. Bottom line, I don’t believe the announcement of the PS3 price drop will impact potential sales of the Vita.”

Wedbush Morgan’s Michael Pachter said there’s unlikely to be a large group of consumers debating which of the two systems to get.

“I’m not sure that they are trying to sell both to the same person as alternatives to one another. People who want both will buy both,” he said.

“People with neither are more likely to buy a PS3, people with a console already might be more likely to buy Vita.”

Divnich commented that it wouldn’t be the first time a portable sold well despite an equally priced or cheaper home console on the market.

“Back when the Nintendo DS launched at $149, the GameCube was only $99, and that had little impact on the success of the Nintendo DS,” he said.

“The PSP launched at $249, while the PS2 was priced at $149. I truly believe that despite sharing similar brands (and games), consumers treat the home and portable markets separately.”

Vita is expected to launch in Japan at the end of the year, and internationally in early 2012.

1. rrw

agree. i dont see why people compare handheld with console

2. ultramega

Yep. Pretty obvious.

3. Gama_888

whattt theee hellll

“People who want both will buy both,” he said.

This man is paid for his opinion on these things when he is literally just stating the obvious now

REALLLLYYYYYY????
    i thought they would buy a second ps3, who’da thunk’d it.

I just did a little diggin for my own pleasure.

dont just read the headline, in the article he says 3ds will sell millions of units and that its high price will be justified by its revolutionary new display

Orlyyyy???

4. CycloneFox

“Ppl who want both will buy both”, because the prices are now both extremely fair, if you ask me.

I already have a fat PS3, but will firstly buy a Vita before I upgrade to a Slim PS3, because like any Sony product (sounds fanboyish, but it is just true), the PS3 runs still smoothly years after I bought it, so I won’t neccessarily need a Slim yet.

5. mojo

why would u even consider?
    theres almost nothing a slim can do for u what a fat cant.
    So unless ur a design whore theres realy no need to replace (not upgrade) ur fat until it dies.