75 percent of Xperia Play owners buy games

Tuesday, 23rd August 2011 02:57 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Sony Ericsson’s research suggests Xperia Play owners are more willing to fork out for mobile games than others.

According to an interview with Sony Ericsson marketing boss Dominic Neil-Dwyer on Bloomberg, over three quarters of Xperia Play users pay for games rather than sticking to free trials.

“It’s reversing a trend of a majority not paying for games,” the executive said, although he didn’t go into detail.

Dwyer revealed that Sony Ericsson has captured around 11 percent of Android market share in the second quarter this year.

There are currently over 150 games available for the Xperia Play, which features a slide-out gamepad with twin analogue pads.

Thanks, PocketGamer.

1. Gama_888

Whattt?? people who buy a phone with dedicated gaming features buy more games than others??

Thats just crazy talk

2. Christopher Jack

Curious to know how well the Xperia Play is doing, I really wanted it but for half the the monthly price, I got the Samsung Galaxy S. Hopefully the Xperia Play get a successor, with modern specs next time around- OLED screen with a qHD resolution, 1GB or RAM, 16GB internal storage, & at the very least, Quad Core Krait or a Cortex-A15 MPCore processor. Tegra 3 could do but would already be slightly outdated, actually, in my opinion SE should have saved it to be the first Tegra 3 device.

3. ultramega

Yeah. I think the platform’s biggest downfall was the outdated specs. That’s why I didn’t wait for it and purchased the Galaxy S instead (which I absolutely adore. Hopefully those rumours about a 720p Super AMOLED HD equipped Galaxy S are true… We shall likely see come September, anyways).

4. Goffee

Whatever the wisdom of buying the Xplay, this does mean 25% of buyers are total fools. I reckon a second one is in the pipe with a far better spec, and, I have a sneaking suspicion, full PS2 emulation.

5. Kaufer

#4 Could be that they bought play and download emulators instead and play off those without buying anything.