Ubisoft: Ghost Recon reboot due to changing shooter market

Monday, 22nd August 2011 11:37 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Ubisoft has said it rebooted Ghost Recon because of changing conditions in the shooter genre, as well as how gamers play them.

The publisher is set to release Future Soldier next year, with a beta to come in January, the first title in the series after the successful Advanced Warfighter series: the last title in the series being 2007 in GRAW 2.

Now, it’s set to take into a “modern” era.

“What we wanted to do is when we finished working [on GRAW], we took a look at the markets, at the games that were out, the military shooters and simply, the whole thing has changed for many reasons. Competition, but also, the way players play basically” Future Soldier associate producer Thomas Leroux told VG247 at gamescom last week after a demo of the shooter behind closed doors.

“One of the things was to say, ‘We wanted to stick to the special forces fantasy, we want to stick to that near-future technology, but we want to make sure it doesn’t feel outdated with the new controls, the new ways of playing.’

“So the reboot was a way for us to make sure we stick to the route of the game in the Ghost Recon franchise, but make it a little more modern, more slick compared to the others.”

But still futuristic, right? Maybe not: Leroux told us that some of the gear in the game is actually “not that far away from existing, like five-ten years.”

Ghost Recon: Future Soldier releases in March for Xbox 360, PC and PS3.

1. BULArmy

To be read: We really want the CoD crowd…
    Both GRAW, but especially 2 were fantastic games and I have bad feeling about that game.

2. Samoan Spider

Agreed. GRAW was a thinking mans shooter and I fear the worst at the moment if they’re trying to pay too much attention to what sells millions IE CoD. I will probably buy it anyway but I hope that it lives up to its predecessors!

3. Maximum Payne

But I still don’t know what is going to be with PC version.GRAW 1 and 2 was developed by Grin which was shut down and in latest mp trailer they are not saying that its going to be PC version….

4. Nissanthen

@3 Maximum Payne.

Yeah it is strange, on the official site you can see that it is listed for PC (scroll down to see the PC DVD ROM software logo): http://ghostrecon.us.ubi.com/

But according to the UK Forum Manager it was never announced for the PC: http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3291043913/m/9811064839

Weird. I am not sure what to make of this.

5. G1GAHURTZ

GRAW was basically the first game that I played on XBL, and it’s pretty much what got me back into console gaming after basically beginning to get bored with it.

I played it loads, but it’s pretty dated by today’s standards. Even when GRAW 2 came out, I bought it, but hardly touched it because I was playing things like Gears and R6V instead.

From what I’ve seen so far, the problem that Future Soldier has is that it doesn’t seem to have moved forward much at all.

6. YoungZer0

@4: The PC Version will probably be released later that year. If ever.

7. LOLshock94

there doing what they did to splinter cell, i hope the game doesnt suffer from framerate issue like splinter cell conviction

8. hitnrun

This would make more sense if GRAW wasn’t literally the very last Real Shooter franchise left.

Don’t get me wrong, I like vegging out with console shooters, but they aren’t tactical shooters. The entire Spec Ops Sim genre has now been converted into arcadey stock games.

It’s hard to imagine that following the “changing market” is going to add up for Ubisoft. Even with the piracy effect, scavenging a few crumbs from a saturated console arcade-shooter market is unlikely to return more than having an entire genre to themselves.

9. ultramega

Hahahaha. Go to hell, Ubisoft. You’ve turned this memorable franchise into trash… no PC support, lifeless, generic gameplay. Why even call it Ghost Recon anymore? It’s nothing like the games of old.

They won’t get a dime of the CoD market. This is just another misguided attempt at trying to recapture the markets.

10. DSB

Sounds to me like GRAW is being overrated quite a bit. It was a good TPS, but it was hardly THAT intelligent, especially compared to its roots.

It’s not even close to being tactical. It was just a solid, fun covershooter.

But of course, the further we get from those genuinely intelligent, tactical games, the less it takes to impress people.

The technology they’re including in this game, like invisibility or “shoulder-mounted” rockets is fairly stupid, but what I’ve seen in terms of gameplay didn’t strike me as better or worse than GRAW.

11. hitnrun

@10: I think it’s more fair to say that the farther we move into set-piece, cinematic, obstacle course shooters, the more “tactical” GRAW becomes through relative comparison.

I’d love a return to Rainbow Six (the real Rainbow Six), but that hardly means I want to live in a universe with CoD clones from hell to breakfast if that’s not possible.

12. DSB

I think that’s mostly psychological. There’s no reason why you wouldn’t do a visceral tactical shooter. Of course it wouldn’t be CoD, but ultimately it’s not a question of ticking boxes, but just a question of making a properly engineered game that works on all levels.

Maybe I’m crazy, but I think an account of a genuine firefight, is ten times more exhilirating than an account of one that never could or would happen. Don’t tell me you can’t design a game to have the same effect.

The only way you’re gonna teach publishers to dare to do that sort of thing again is to get a mastermind designer in there, who knows how to sell a game to suits.

Sadly it seems like most are content with marching to the same beat. And nobody’s making more money for it.

13. HauntaVirus

This game is solid, no worries here.