Report – Gearbox to reboot Duke Nukem after Colonial Marines wraps

Monday, 22nd August 2011 14:44 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Gearbox is reportedly set to reboot Duke Nukem after development on Aliens: Colonial Marines ends, according to the same OXM rumour wrap that cited Fable IV for a 2013 release this morning. The reboot will come with Duke Begins, the project that Gearbox was working on before taking over development on Forever after being in dev hell for 15 years. After announcing it took over development on DNF, the Texan developer said it had became the rights holders of the IP. Via CVG.

1. YoungZer0

To be honest, i was expecting this. Sad since i don’t think you can’t make The Duke relevant without changing him completely.

2. KAP

FFS, Gearbox, least let the poor guy rest in peace man.
    He doesnt want to party anymore.. the last game was proof of that, just leave him be.

R.I.P Duke.

3. DSB

That was the plan from the beginning, though. I don’t think you can change Duke Nukem.

I don’t think the problem with Duke Nukem Forever was the character or the setting. It was just a case of the writing not being sharp enough, the game being ancient, and not being able to pull off the crazy setpieces with what they had.

They have to make a shooter that’ll make Call of Duty blush by virtue of its explosions and tacky setpieces. They need to turn it up to 11. Given that they’re going to finish Colonial Marines first, it sounds like they’re bringing in the big guns on the next one.

4. Talkar

I also think that the whole chaning the engine several times, or studio had a very negative effect on DNF. I expect this one that Gearbox is going to make to be a lot better! (i’m prepared for a disappointment xD )

5. DSB

@4 That’s pretty obvious. It’s George Broussards epic mess. It makes Daikatana look like a well managed project. And that’s saying A LOT.

It does seem like a lot of people have trouble realizing that, so it’ll be interesting to see how that affects the new game. I reckon Gearbox are counting on the anti-hype to have died down once they start showing the proper game.

6. xino

note to people.
    don’t worry Duke will still be Duke.

they are just rebooting the story.

7. YoungZer0

As if the story was the problem.

8. NeoSquall

in b4 the Duke receives “the DMC treatment”.

9. freedoms_stain

A Gearbox developed Duke game from the ground up with a decent engine could be pretty awesome.

10. viralshag

Why not just make Duke one of the Colonial Marines? Last time I checked, he excelled at killing aliens?

11. Maximum Payne

They just are going to make it from ground up using UE3 engine,make better gun feel better and lot of Micheal Bay/CoD style cinematic moments.
    cheesy dialog are there by default :)

12. KrazyKraut

btw…talked with someone on the gc…and this someone told me something about nfs: hot pursiut next year…

13. Nozz

If they go to the extremes of the DmC remake, then that will be the final nail in the coffin as far as I’m concerned.

14. Maximum Payne

But They already working on Borderlands 2,Colonial Marines and Furious 4 so….

15. HeavyD-Love

One question………… why?

16. Maximum Payne

@15 Because even crap called Forever which was made for 1999 or what ever year, sold pretty good.

17. el duderino

@10 LoL

To be honest,i’d even buy the shit of duke himself so i don’t know how objective i can be but the problem of dnf was not the story or the dialog or duke.I mean not AT ALL.The problem was ancient graphics,physics,animations,gameplay elements and like some of you said,not enough setpieces.I have played thru the whole game and even i,as a duke nukem fan,felt like vomitting because of how the whole game handled.But i did not vomit because the duke was still the same dude he was.So let’s hope gearbox changes everything except duke himself.Fucking siked to hear this.

18. Lord Gremlin

I actually enjoyed DNF. Sure, I expect better performance and grpahics next time and no health regen or 2 weapon limit. But other than that – I bloody love how offensive Duke is.
    Also, Hive level. Loved it. Reminds me of Moon levels in DN3D.