Cross-platform play with CS: Global Offensive is “certainly our goal”, says Newell

Saturday, 20th August 2011 20:24 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Gabe Newell has said one of the goals Valve has set with Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is the inclusion of cross-platform play.

Speaking in a video interview with PC Games at gamescom, Newell said Valve feels gamers shouldbe able to play together no matter what platform they are using.

“We never want to create these ‘islands of players’,” he said. “You have to be sensitive to control differences, and make sure you’re accommodating that, but, you know, our view is players should be able to play as part of a community on whatever device they can.

“You know, sometimes there are contractual, or other issues that make that hard, where somebody, a platform holder doesn’t want you to do that for whatever reason, but our preference is always to let customers play and be part of the larger community.”

CSGO is targeted for release in early 2012 and will be playable at this year’s PAX Prime and Eurogamer Expo 2011.

Thanks, Blue.

1. Maximum Payne

I really don’t see how compettive title like this could possible work.
    Also there is 0 chance you could play on xbox vs ps.

2. DSB

It might work…. If PC players had to aim using the arrow keys.

3. strikkebil

problem?

4. Erthazus

@3, with the right software of course not.

I like the moment when he throws two C4′s before tank is going to pass them. So fake.
    or the moment when 3-4 guys runs and don’t see him at all in front of him.

5. DSB

Mark Rein actually made the very same boast about Unreal Tournament 3, but in the end they weren’t able to do it.

@3 Nobody’s saying that you can’t be good at playing a game on consoles. Just that you’d have a far harder time going up against a mouse.

There’s no physical or scientific limit saying that you either can’t score on, or outdo someone on a mouse if you’re on a gamepad, it’s just pretty well established that you have a far harder time doing it.

If you put someone like that up against one of the PC pros, I strongly doubt they’d have as easy a time.

@4 I don’t think it’s fake, he’s obviously good. I just think he does a lot of things to avoid even using the sticks. He’s sliding the reticle onto the others quite a bit.

Most of the pros who are stick-heavy map the pad so one stick controls the vertical axis, and the other controls the horizontal. Then they use the D-pad to move, and achieve higher accuracy. This guy seems to be playing a bit simpler.

There’s no reason to put people down just for playing well on a console, that’s great. The Halo 3 clip that was posted in a different article was great too, but it’s worth noting that that guy missed a lot of his shots.

That’s the sort of thing you wouldn’t see in your average CoD4 or CS pro gaming match.

I don’t see why it’s such a big deal that a mouse is easier to aim with. It says nothing for which is the most fun.

6. Yoshi

Will not work. Mouse and Keyboard is 10x more precise. And consoles have auto snap aim to target shizzle which would then give consoles an advantage. It’s a tricky dilemma really.

7. freedoms_stain

Would it be hard to mandate controller use in cross platform games? I think less people than the vocal hardcore anti-pad sect would have us believe are fussed about whether they use a pad or not.

8. DSB

I have nothing against cross platform play. People are perfectly able to use gamepads in most PC shooters today, since they’re usually ports anyway.

I just don’t think the console audience would have a lot of fun going up against the PC. There’s no way you could allow auto-aim or any kind of advantage in a competitive shooter.

9. LOLshock94

it could be possible if a developer made a good auto aim

10. Christopher Jack

I’d like to see Sony, Microsoft & Nintendo(With the Wii U) collaborate in bringing a huge cross platform game . I know it’ll never happen but it’d be a fun idea.

11. Toastrules

@1 Actually, if Microsoft let Valve include Steam with CS on their system, then it is possible that Valve makes a cross-platform system

12. Phoenixblight

Keep dreaming. Microsoft doesn’t like that.

13. Yoshi

@9, you can’t have auto aim for consoles but not PC, but then PC players won’t want auto aim. Like I said, it’s a tricky dilemma.

14. G1GAHURTZ

Coulda, woulda, shoulda…

It’s all theory and hearsay without any numbers to back up claims.

15. PwnedHaxor

But, What if, Xbox players could play against PS3 players? THAT would be awesome!

16. Maximum Payne

@16 If that happened Gabe will be president of USA….

17. DSB

I’m not much of a console gamer, but I’m not sure I’d want to see that. I mean there’s no lack of trashtalking online these days, but actually putting console fanboys head to head? Oh dear..

18. M. K.

That would be awesome @18 ;D

19. PwnedHaxor

It would be awesome. Xbox players could be Terrorists while PS3 players join the Counter-Terrorists :)

and, the PC players could spectate

20. M. K.

Hell yeah Ts all the way, ak <3

21. Lounds

@20 PC = Admin = Noclip ftw lol

22. G1GAHURTZ

I believe PS3 gamers prefer single player games and are no where near as competitive as 360 gamers.

In general, that is…

23. PwnedHaxor

@22 Well, I own PS3 and I love CS!

24. LOLshock94

@13 i thinking that the consoles have an auto aim and pc dont but the auto has got to be good if you know what i mean

25. Fin

That’s such a ridiculous generalisation, based on absolutely nothing.

26. G1GAHURTZ

Forget about auto aim and ‘accuracy’.

If all you had to do to win at an FPS was shoot more accurately and faster, they’d all be pretty boring.

At any rate, I can’t tell you the amount of times that I’ve won games, where my ping has been sky high, against people who are basically shooting at me about 1/2 a second before they even show up on my screen.

Now that’s way more of a handicap than going up against someone who has a couple of milliseconds advantage over you in nothing but aiming.

I/my clan still win those games with bad connections, because FPS’s aren’t games where everyone has the same weapon in a big, flat, open arena.

There are so many factors to consider, such as:

Simply having good all round tactics/an effective gameplan
    Good movement (Strafe/sprint/duck/prone while aiming/shooting, etc)
    Knowledge of map/terrain
    Knowledge of spawn locations/timings
    Choice/proficiency of weapon
    Choice/proficiency of perks/abilities/attachments
    Choice of grenades/equipment (stun grenades/proximity explosives/etc)
    Ability to read the game and communicate effectively with teammates
    General anticipation of other players movements
    Game type (objective based game types can be won while having more deaths)
    Etc, etc, etc…

Simple example: Can a player with a short range shotgun easily beat a ghillied up sniper on a big, open map if the sniper has a controller and the shotgunner a m/kb?

It’s not such a simple equation when you think about it for more than a couple of seconds, is it?

It’s so naive to think that a person would win because all he can do is aim slightly more accurately.

27. G1GAHURTZ

@ 25:

I know… I don’t really have anything to back it up other than the usual sales splits of hardcore MP games on consoles (usually more on 360), the amount of pro MP players that I know about on 360 vs PS3, and the fact that if you’re a hardcore online console gamer, you’re going to prefer XBL over PSN.

But it’s just my opinion.

I could be completely wrong.

Maybe someone should do a survey…

28. Yoshi

@27 ‘Maybe someone should do a survey…’ Because we all know how accurate game related surveys are… amiright? :P

29. PwnedHaxor

Mkay?

30. Lounds

@27 When UC3 beta came out, it was really popular, PS3 gamers love online gaming as much as XBL users, as for the whole auto-aim thing, KZ3 didn’t have any and I still got kills, you don’t need auto-aim on consoles, COD practically spoon feeds kills for people on consoles.

CSS is a really good game, it’s what got me into PC gaming, and I think it would be amazing to see it on cross-platform, if it’s price correctly it would become hugely popular amongst PS3 owners.

31. mojo

cant see how this could work.
    unless u restrict PC players to use Gamepads.
    Otherwise Consoleusers are gonna get humiliated again and again.