Sony: There’s a “real strong” market for rich portable gaming

Friday, 19th August 2011 05:37 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Sony’s research has convinced it there is a market for portable gaming of the kind smartphones can’t yet provide.

“When you look at the type of consumer that’s playing cell phone games currently, it’s someone that enjoys smaller ‘kill time’ gaming and has not gravitated to the larger, richer, deeper experiences that true handheld gaming provides,” Sony’s John Koller told Gamespot.

“We’ve certainly seen that on the PSP, and I know Nintendo has probably commented on it for their products, but as we go toward the PlayStation Vita, I can tell you that as we started looking at that product and the market opportunity several years ago, we saw a real strong demographic for those deeper, richer, console-type experiences.”

The hardware maketing director said the controls which make Vita unique in the portable space set it apart, appealing to both core and casual users.

“That ‘new ways to play’ idea, particularly for Vita, really differentiates from what’s available on mobile phones or tablets and, frankly, what will be available on those platforms over the next three to five years,” he said.

“You’re going to see PS Vita expand what a lot of people believe to be true about handheld gaming, and you’re going to see a lot of those current mobile phone and tablet gamers come over to Vita. We’re very convinced of that.”

Thanks, IndustryGamers.

1. Christopher Jack

I agree with him to some extent, but at least Sony, unlike Nintendo, has acknowledged the potential audience of these ‘kill time’ mobile games & integrated it into the PSV experience via PlayStation Suite & to a lesser extent, PSN.

Although I’d like to see Google (& *sigh* Apple) make a standard controller for mobile gaming, until then, there’s a huge bottleneck in mobile gaming that not even the Xperia Play could fix (the controls are cool but it’s limited mostly to current Android offerings & will be until Android as a whole, integrates high end gaming into their system, rather than mixing everything with kill-tine apps).

Point is, Android & iOS need a universally available gamepad (something they could offer through Gamestop & GAME etc) & more organized gaming services, PC has suffered that problem for a while before Steam became available & the keyboard+mouse combo is great for gaming, but a PC gamepad standard would still be greatly appreciated.

2. ultramega

I very much agree with your comment, but I would argue that the Xbox 360 controller is pretty much the standard PC gamepad. It seems to work great with pretty much anything I throw at it.

3. Christopher Jack

@2, I kind of agree, but you need a wired one or a receiver, both being impossible for me to find at retail.

4. ultramega

I guess there’s always the internet, even though it might prove more expensive than it’s worth to import.

That’s too bad. I see them all over the place in Canada, and they work without need of drivers or anything!

5. tenthousandgothsonacid

He’s wrong, we’ve all gone the other way *from* dedicated handhelds to iPhones. I’ll never buy another handheld just for games again.

6. Christopher Jack

By your logic, PCs would have replaced consoles by now. Same scenario.

7. tenthousandgothsonacid

@6 eh ? Nah, I went from pc gaming to consoles because it was so much easier.

8. ultramega

Oh. Okay. Thank you for speaking for everyone.

9. Christopher Jack

@7, Exact same thing could be said about dedicated portable consoles, smartphones are simply miniature PCs when you think about it, but with the consoles, you’re guaranteed support for the next 5 or so years & don’t have to worry about fragmentation & becoming outdated, incompatibilities, etc, less of an issue for iPhone users but it still remains a problem.

I got a Samsung Galaxy S about a couple of months before the first of the dual core phones & I can assure you by this time next year when dual core phones are on the clearance shelves & phones as powerful as the PSV are normal, I’ll be missing out on new content… Same goes for iPhone4 users(near identical innards) main difference between the 2 is optimization, still prefer the freedom of Android over iOS anyday.

Still waiting for Optus to update me to Gingerbread(Android 2.3)! & no, I don’t want to jailbreak my phone & void my warranty,

10. tenthousandgothsonacid

@8 heh, don’t you remember when you all voted me leader ? :)

11. tenthousandgothsonacid

@9 you make some very good points

(there, you don’t see that on the Internet very often)

12. Warcen

the phones will be at same power of psv in 2-3 years, but still you will newer get a real game on it. tablets are stronger then a ds or a psp, but still if you want to play on a long trip i youse my psp. i think the main differenses betwin this devices are that peoples youe more time making games on gaming devices and you need buttons on almost any game

13. DaMan

I think I’ll go play some Chaos Rings, FF Tactics, Infinity Blade, Chinatown Wars… and (sigh) Android err, Lines ;)

14. The_Red

So far, the rather cheap Dev Kit price is their best move. If they can flood their handheld with good looking and fun 2 to 5 dollar games along with their core Uncharted like titles, I think they can find a decent audience (Also, more Lumines please :) ).

15. CycloneFox

#12: There already are smartphones that are as good as the PSVita and have even more RAM. But it’s more a matter of software, because the OS of the vita is made for gaming and just doesn’t need as much RAM and the developers are developing far more complex and graphically appealing games for the Vita than for a smartphone with variing hardwares. That leads to games that will still look far better on an old handheld than on a new smartphone. Even the latest games on the PSP, that is over 5 years old, still look better than the best looking games on smartphones.

@Topic: What Sony’s John Koller said there is the exact same, that I am saying for months now. The gameplay of true handheld games like Dragon Quest, MGS Peacewalker, God of War or The 3rd birthday is far more deep than of those “killing time” style games on smartphones.

I recently played Uncharted and Resistance on the PSVita on Gamescom and have to say, that it really is a big step in gameplay from the PSP, becasue of the Vita’s controlls. Playing those games on the Vita really felt like playing on the PS3.

A gamepad for a smartphone on the other hand would totally steal the smartphone’s sense. (Like smartphones you can’t even phone with…

16. Christopher Jack

@15, No there’s not, it’s about as powerful as 2 iPad 2s glued together, based on the same architecture but double the cores & probably higher clock speeds too knowing Apple, same probably goes for the iPhone5/4S/Whatever the hell Apple will name it, I really doubt that they will release a phone more powerful than their young tablet.

I believe, feel free to correct me if I’m wrong, but the PSV’s processor is slightly more powerful than Nvidia’s upcoming quad core Kal El/Tegra 3 chip.

17. Gekidami

^ Apparently RAM is like power level; If something has more RAM, its instantly more powerful. The rest doesnt matter nor does the way the device uses the RAM.

18. Christopher Jack

Reminds me of how some people base computer power by clock speed, but I knew what #16 was trying to say, not that the PSV will need that much RAM anyways, thankfully it’s not partitioned right in half this time around, the RAM is relatively fast on the PS3, especially when you compare it to the 360, but there just wasn’t enough of it to utilize properly, so unless you designed it to balance both partitions perfectly, you’re not going to get much out of it which can be problematic when building an engine meant to run on multiple consoles.

19. DaMan

#15 I presume Koller should play Secret of Mana.

Rage, Real Racing or IB look better than most of the Psp titles, even with all the fake anti-aliasing and bloom Sony devs did. Then again, those weren’t ported to every single phone on the planet with ‘varying hardware’..

20. viralshag

@CJ, A little off topic from the main article but related to your ealier comment about 360 pads for the PC, if you have a USB recharge cable for a wireless pad, it seems to still work on a PC the same as a cabled pad.

I think I downloaded the driver for a cabled 360 pad and it all worked ok.

21. MegaGeek1

@ 15, Please enlighten me. What current smart phones are “as good” as the PSV?

I only ask this because like video games, mobile technology is a hobby of mine. I can promise you that just because the Evo 3D, or the SGS2 come with a dual core chip set and 1 gig of system RAM, that does not make them more powerful devices.

I understand the point you are trying to make based on the OS chewing up RAM, but there is much more to it then that. Android OS + manufacturer user interface (touchwiz, sense) are not anymore memory intensive then what the PSVs operating system will be.

22. Christopher Jack

@20, Unfortunately not, the wireless controller doesn’t connect via USB, only it’s battery & while the PC can detect it, it remains unusable. The wireless controller uses a proprietary wireless technology to connect to the Xbox 360 & that’s why you need some wireless receiver piece of junk for PC.

23. viralshag

@22, That’s really odd then. It seemed to work for me. When I connected it, it just worked like a plug’n'play device. I’m upgrading to win7 64x over the weekend so I will try it again and put my theory to the test. ;)

24. Christopher Jack

Sure you weren’t using a wired one? The wireless one needs this http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Wireless-Gaming-Receiver-Windows/dp/B000HZFCT2
    The plug & Play kits only charges, it cannot transfer data other than the name of the device that it’s charging.

25. viralshag

Certain of it, mainly because I don’t own a wired controller. Like I said, I will double check tonight, if I see you on LoL I will drop you a quick message or on here or something like that.