Quick Quotes: Dragon Age 3 to be a marriage between Origins and DA2

Friday, 19th August 2011 21:27 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

“The team is going to have some things that are going to surprise both sets of fans, both core fans and new fans with a marriage of the best from both games. One of the core values of Bioware is that we take feedback really seriously, and we know that the core fans who were expecting more Dragon Age Origins – we have to respond to that – we’re not willing to ignore that, we’re going to take that head on. We also have an obligation to our new fans, the ones who were surprised and delighted with some new approaches and accessibility in terms of action and combat.

“What we need to do as developers is take that feedback from both sets of fans to heart and see about marrying that in future games in the Dragon Age franchise. And we look forward more to talking about that in the future.” – Bioware’s Ray Muzyka to PC Gamer.

1. Lord Gremlin

Origins was great, huge game with some frustrating elements you could easily forgive for great story and massive amount of content.
    DA2 was rushed copy-paste piece of shit with story that was absolutely idiotic in a bad way – like it was written by an idiot/retard.
    So DA3 will be a hybrid of good and shit games? Like, mediocre?
    P.S. Played both games on PS3.

2. DSB

Nice try, Doc.

I’m sure they’d love to be getting money from both fanbases, but I’m pretty sure anyone who’s been fooled once or twice by Bioware knows better by now.

Are you gonna make it half of a watered down RPG, or half of a generic action game?

3. Erthazus

@2, don’t be harsh on them.

first game was decent, yes, there are a ton of problems. But it was an RPG.

Second is no doubt – Piece of shit. Nothing to argue here.

4. DSB

@3 Oh I wasn’t putting down Origins, I’m just talking about what would happen if they only did it halfway. It wouldn’t be worth playing.

Like you say it wasn’t the perfect game, they definitely sacrificed a lot for scale alone, but it was still the last real tactical RPG as far as I’m concerned.

5. Phoenixblight

I enjoyed both games very much. Each game had its issues. Dragon AGe Origins with its turn based combat, linear talents, overall bland areas and catatonic protagonist but it had a very deep story, lots of choices with customization with races, and lots and lots of content.

Dragon AGe 2 had a much improved combat system which used Real time versus Turn based, lot more options with the talent system, THe protagonist speaking and having a tone system on top of the dialog wheel. The draw backs with the game is the over use of 10 areas, not as much content with game.

If you can use the combat system and tone system and tie that with what Origins depth then they have something with DA3. I will still get DA3, I wasn’t so disappointed with DA2 that I would stop buying Bioware games. Even with the time frame that Bioware had they still could offer a decent game.

6. The_Red

DA2 was bad. Really bad. So they’ve confirmed that DA3 will suck. Thanks for the info. They just don’t care anymore.

7. HighWindXIX

I actually thought DA2 improved on a few things. The art style may be controversial but at least it wasn’t bland. I also felt that while the overall story didn’t match Origins, the other characters in your party seemed more important. Other than Alister and Morigan the Origins characters seemed very secondary. And playing as a mage in DA2, the combat definitely felt better and more engaging. Though, playing as a warrior was a very lame hack n slash experience, I’ll give you that.

I’ve never really understood why there’s so much hate for DA2 honestly. The biggest fault I found was the reused environments but if that’s such a problem why do people not complain that everything in the first Mass Effect is a reused environment?

8. Clupula

I liked the battles in Origins. They felt like someone took the battles of FFXII and improved them. Overall, I really can’t think of a single positive to say about DA2. The artwork, the combat, the scale, the story…all of it were huge steps down.

9. YoungZer0

Good to know. I hope they keep the art-direction from the second one. It really made the series stand out from the usual rpgs. Just hope to see an engaging story, sharp writing, deeper characters, no spawn-fest, more areas, more armor (especially for mages, no robes, please), more decisions and harder consequences.

Keep the combat the way it is. It’s fun, flashy and fluid. Tried to play Dragon Age Origins again the other day. The combat made it nearly unplayable.

Hit. Miss. Hit. Miss. Miss. Miss. Hit.

Wouldn’t hurt to include races again, but i think that would make things more complicated for the storytelling.

@7: But people did complain about ME reusing the environment. A lot actually.

10. DSB

Mass Effect was a mess in most ways I can think of, but it still just sucked you in and kept you with it. That doesn’t happen a lot in my case. I don’t know if I’d prefer another mess like that, but ME2 pretty much killed the series for me, even if it was far better engineered.

11. Sini

You can’t fix what trash like dragon age has become. When you produce a sequel and all 12 player characters are not interesting/charismatic, you are doomed from the start on the next game unless you fire the writing/design team.

12. Jorge

I won’t put my faith in BioWare for DA3. No interest here. I’ll wait, but I won’t let my hopes up for this as I did for DA2.

They just can’t aim to make a good RPG when they have the console factor in mind at all costs.

13. Erthazus

@12, word!

Thats the only thing that stops it.

I still believe that original Neverwinter Nights is the best RPG Bioware has ever made (or the best WRPG ever to be honest) + Baldurs Gate 2 ofc.

14. Lord Gremlin

@12 You know, Demon’s Souls was a PS3 exclusive yet had a lot of character stats, attributes and abilities plus weapons and enemies got their stats, attributes and abilities, and when I look at DA2 it looks pathetic in comparison. Well, DS is a bit light on the story, but DA2′s story is just shit.
    Also, in Demon’s Souls you make a choice in the end that actually matters and impacts you and the whole world.
    FFS, maybe they should have made DA2 PS3 exclusive… Heh, maybe not, but it has little to do with platform. It has to do with time, effort and having an idiot as a game designer.

15. nikk900

I think it would be best if it was just origins with DA2 combat.

16. GwynbleiddiuM

The problem isn’t in console vs PC, it’s the money that is the problem. DA2 was the perfect example of hit and run robbery, they just robbed customers and got away with it, they did not put time and resources to create a great sequel to a fairly good game, they just wanted to make profit and get even for the time and resources they have put on Origins and it didn’t payed off as much as they expected.

You see, just like #15 said, Demon’s Soul is a descent RPG and console exclusive too and it did well enough that the developers decided to take a bigger step with the new game their making. It’s the crowd, that’s where the problem lies. Today’s generation of gamers are the easy going and carefree types, they just looking to spend some time on games and feel rewarded by sitting there and doing tasks befitting of a glorified mule. Yeepee I unlocked 20 ribbons with one headshot, yay. They don’t have the time, passion and patience to appreciate and sense of curiosity to sit down and experience good elements of any game. I give you an example, I keep begging my brother (younger) to sit and play some Diablo II with me, he says, that game is old, graphics are shit, and does not bother himself to give it a try out of curiosity to see how a true action RPG looks like and plays like. First and foremost it should look absolutely gorgeous, second it should be in some level of simplicity in term of understanding the gameplay mechanics with a learning curve in Tree Frog level of comprehension so when they pick up the controller don’t get confused or get lost in the world. Art and Story doesn’t really matter for them, that’s why a game like Gears of War receive so much attention, don’t get me wrong I like how Gears of War plays, but it has the most boring, style-less, uninspiring, classless, good for nothing characters and plot and art-style.

DA2 was a complete disaster, and by disaster, I don’t know where to begin. A pointless storyline that should sort of shape the things to come, absolutely boring characters, except the dwarf – and Dwarves are by design entertaining, when was the last time you see a dwarf and didn’t like it? – everyone else were just shit. Story was broken with so much hiccups and jumps from here to somewhere completely irrelevant, The Arishok was the only likable character in the entire game.

The environment, oh man, I just don’t know what BioWare was thinking when copy pasting instances! Did they thought of us as bunch of clueless, tunnel vision-one-eyed idiots that can’t really notice shit?

And the content, all gone! In the whole game I barely used 3 different armor sets and weapons. At some point I stopped giving a crap. The dialogue system, ruined. All the elements that made the Dragon Age Origins a lovable title despite all of its flaws, were just got cut out of the DA2. Everything. I fail to see how a marriage of DAO and DA2 bears any fruit but a disfigured, grotesque and disgusting infant that is suffering in pain and agony, and everyone around it suffer with it.

17. DSB

@9 Sounds to me like you were doing something very wrong. If you were playing it on a console, then that’s the first thing.

Really, none of the fights in Origins are random, you may have a character go down from a crit, but you can guard against that in several different ways, and it’s hardly surprising in an RPG.

You have to micro-manage every fight, use every class a certain way, and maybe there is a weakness in a class like mages essentially not be able to compromise crowd control abilities. The fact that tactics are 100% of the combat is what makes me able to play through the game twice and still love it. You can simply pick a different party line-up and the tactics will have to adapt, creating an entirely new experience.

“Hit” should never be a major factor in Origins, it’s not like Baldurs Gate or one of those games where the dice decides your fate. If you’re missing as much as you’re hitting, then you did something terribly wrong to your character. The attack stat determines your ability to hit, dual-wielding brings it down, and a few enemies have very high avoidance.

18. Samuel

People greatly exaggerate DA2′s flaws. I just finished the game, I really enjoyed it and in fact I like it better than Origins. It does have its problems but they are minor at most and in no way qualify the game as bad overall.

What sticks with me the most are the improvements in the choices you can make in the story, interactions with companions, combat, etc. and not the fact that there were some repetitive environments and spawning enemies, because those really didn’t have much of a negative impact on the game for me at all. Some people take issue with the fact that the story is set mainly in one city, which I actually really liked about it, but again, if you don’t like that, that doesn’t make the game bad, that just means you personally didn’t like it.

19. Phoenixblight

“With people’s reaction to this game I see a lot of “well I had this one gripe with it that wasn’t how I wanted the game to be, so I rate it a zero.”

Pretty much.

20. Hellchild400

i dont understand why people are saying DA2 is so bad i mean yea it had it flaws but dont alot of games? i have seen a lot worse games but i quite enjoyed it. DA:origins was a good game and i must admit i did prefer it to DA2 and i rather missed the characters from DA:origins but i understood the story quite well even if it was abit over the place