Burnout Crash trailer features exemplary driving

Friday, 19th August 2011 08:31 GMT By Stace Harman

Well, it seemed a bit obvious to say it features crashes and explosions. Don’t worry though, it’s got those too.

Criterion raised some eyebrows when it unveiled this top-down offering in its beloved series. The game’s premise is simple: cause as much destruction as possible by causing crashes at busy intersections. The tabloid newspapers will love that, to be sure.

Burnout Crash will be available via PSN and XBLA and is expected by the end of August. The 360 version will support Kinect controls.

Thanks, Evil Avatar

1. gomersoul

question is, does it look as good as the crash mode on burnout 2 that should have been implemented into paradise? answer, no it does not

2. ultramega

I don’t get it. I love Criterion… but what the fuck is this shit?¿

3. StolenGlory

@2 That’s the crazy thing – this actually looks proper shit.

I love Criterion and like other folks will praise them ad infinitum, but all the praise/faith in the world cannot shake the fact that A) This looks an unusually underwhelming and lazy effort them given their pedigree and B) Anybody who says that they would want this tripe over an actual, good-to-honest crash mode like momma used to make them is quite clearly deluding themselves.

4. JPickford

Weird that the actual collisions look so poor. Hard to fathom why they’ve made this from scratch rather than ripping out an old crash mode and polishing it up a bit.

5. Fin

Expected by the end of August? Sweeeeeet!! INSTABUY!!

6. tenthousandgothsonacid

It all depends on the price I guess. 5 quid or less I’m in. Anything more and it’s going to the back of a long queue.

7. viralshag

This does look like bollocks.

8. Gadzooks!

This looks like it could be great. So it’s not from an in-car perspective. So what?

Whiners will whine though.

9. TheBlackHole

Sad to say it, but this looks absolutely terrible.

I had massively high hope for this, as Crash Junctions (ala B3:TD) is some of the most fun I had on the original Xbox.

Gutted, really. Can’t judge it completely until I’ve played it, but from this I have zero expectations.

10. Blerk

Terrible to have to say it, but next to Silent Hill Vita this is the worst thing I’ve seen come out of Gamescom. So disappointing.

It’s not just the camera angle that seems wrong, the vehicles themselves seem to have no weight – everything just goes pinging off like it’s made of rubber whenever there’s a crash. It’s more like pinball than Burnout.

11. DrDamn

Too much focus on what this is not and not what it is. I’ll give it a go and judge on it’s own merits. Could work really well as a high score MP couch game.

12. Blerk

Well, that might be true. But when you attach a well-known and loved game title to a project you create a certain set of expectations among the fanbase. And if you’re going to mess with those expectations then you have to make damned sure that you know exactly what you’re doing.

The game might be really good, but so far it hasn’t shown well at all. In my opinion, of course.

13. tenthousandgothsonacid

@ Blerk “It’s more like pinball than Burnout.”

It’s what they were going for, Alex Ward has specifically mentioned Pinball in several interviews.

14. ASBI

few months later

EA cans Burnout crash

15. TheBlackHole

Oh christ, I forgot this was Alex Ward’s doing.

16. DrDamn

Quite tricky to can something post release…

17. Freek

It’s not the top down perspective. Renegade Ops has that aswell, but at the same time it does have great car physics and allot of spectacle:

Burnout Crash just looks stale, like a boardgame come to life, but only just. A collection of plasticy cars not so much crashing, but more bumping into each other, gently.

18. majicship

This is like re inventing the wheel. I can’t think why they would bother to develop this unless it was a failed hand held project.

19. HeavyD-Love

Honestly, it looks like an HD GTA2 (TWO!) this better be $9.99 or less.

20. DaMan

I ‘m not geting why this is deemed unworthy by some, looks like it could be plenty of fun. I’m guessing because it doesn’t look like a Burnout.