Quick Quotes: Content dumping is a disservice to gamers, says Gearbox – UPDATED

Thursday, 18th August 2011 17:45 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Update: According to Steve Gibson, speaking to VG247, his comments made behind-closed-doors at the Borderlands 2 gamescom presentation were taken a bit out of context. Below you will find his full statement on the matter.

“I said a few of those words, but that implies I was attacking other studios,” he said via email. “I just talked about what we didn’t want Borderlands 2 to be – because doing a content dump, quick one year sequel to Borderlands would be a disservice to gamers.

“I didn’t accuse any other studios of it.”

The original post, which was pulled from Develop is below, as originally posted.

“At many studios there is a lot of what we call ‘content dumping’, where people make a load of extra content with their first game, put it together on a disk, and add a ’2′ to the original game’s name. It’s a disservice to gamers. That’s not what Borderlands 2 is about at all. We’ve truly redone everything. We’ve rebuilt the world.” – Steve Gibson, Gearbox’s vice president of public relations and marketing via Develop.

1. Phoenixblight

WOw another thing I have to worry with studios. Yeesh.

If Gearbox was doing that I am sure the game would be out sooner than next year.

2. The_Red

Assassin’s Creed. Definition of Content Dumping though most of annually released games are like that.

3. Phoenixblight

Makes sense now that you think about it. Bastards.

4. deathgaze

We call those “expansion pack sequels”. See: Super Mario Galaxy 2, Assassin’s Creed 2, God of War 3, etc…

5. El_MUERkO

[der]

6. HauntaVirus

Fallout New Vegas was an 80% content dump for sure. It’s still unplayable on PC.

7. Christopher Jack

I agree with him, I think those kind of games need an RRP discount.

8. Phoenixblight

Thats weird because I just played it and beat it twice over the month. In fact I am currently playing Old World Blues. No NV was not a content dump because Obsidian spent 2-3 years developing it. And New Vegas had a completely different feel than that of Fallout 3.

9. Christopher Jack

I completed F:NV on PS3, with only one crash & 3 glitches where I had to load to my closest save (got stuck in the same bus twice-nothing I could do got me out, I got very far without saving during one of them :( & the other time I fell down some non-existent pit), but apparently that’s a low number of serious game errors for F:NV, I also believe that somehow, the PS3 was the least bugged out of all 3 platforms.

10. Stephany Nunneley

Please note that this post as been updated with a comment from the man himself.